FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the hold up is on the SureFire X400 GN? I thought they were supposed to be out late Dec 2013...

·
Registered
240 Posts
If they do finally release them, I'd wait to make sure there are no early issues. FWIW, B&H Photo now lists them as 7-10 day ship time when previously they said it was a new product and you could preorder. They're usually on top of their shiz there.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just ignored my own advice and ordered one from a large photographic store (Google "X400 gn" and they usually pop up). I was on their email alert list for when it finally was in stock, and the email just came through. Overnight shipping, and I should have it tomorrow.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Funny you mention the holster- I called Kathryn at blade tech and offered to send my unit to them to make the mold. She spoke with production & called me back and said they are still not quite ready:(

Osprey stamp should be approved by 4th of July I hope!!!

Can't wait to see yours!!!

That's BADASS ... custom holster time BBG; I've yet to see one made that'll accommodate the X400. Same parts list I'm setting up my FNX Tac with! It'll be complete with the muffler on front. :wink:

·
Registered
240 Posts
image.jpg image.jpg

Yup, got mine today. The green shows up WAY better with the 500 lumen light than the red version (even though it's the brightest red laser I've ever seen). I also have a Crimson Trace Railmaster in green which I can use for comparison. The Surefire green color is more green-blue whereas the CT is straight-up green. Surefire dot is very tight and focused; CT is larger and neither blooms. The CT seems a little brighter to me, but it should be since it's a dedicated laser.

I zeroed the laser at just under 25 yards, and at that distance it lays exactly over and follows my RM07 red dot - it's even the same size at that distance. At close distances the laser drops a little below the red dot of course, but not much - you still can see them together in the RMR window.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats and I hate you guys! lol
I've been really humming and hawing over this and I'm considering the CMR-203 Rail Master Green Laser instead. It really bothers me that the laser is so far from the barrel. I wish they had the laser on top of the light instead of on the bottom. I've always got a 500 lumens light in my pocket so the light isn't a necessity. oldguysshoot I assume the small drop you see in the laser at closer distances is even less with the Rail Master? Any other differences you have noticed? I can't find either one in Canada yet so I guess I have time to figure it out.

·
Registered
240 Posts
BARX, the lasers themselves are about half an inch difference offset from each other. I have the CT on my FsN and I lined up the rails to check. I took a little more time and tested them both, and the difference in drop is negligible from one to the other. They both drop only about 3 inches at 5 yards. Also the distance from the rail to the barrel is less on the FsN, so you'd have even fewer hairs to split testing them both on the same weapon. You could always zero the laser at 15 yards and split the difference. So the bad guy gets a bullet in the nose instead of the forehead – he's still going to have a bad day.

Some thoughts:

• The CT green laser it's stupid-bright and super-light.
  • Both green lasers alone light up a pitch black room impressively; think of them as dual-purpose, working as "navigation lights".
  • The Surefire 500 lumen is disorienting to anyone on the receiving end even in the daylight or daytime indoors.
  • Surefire also make it really easy via a swivel switch on the bottom to go from light only (left 45 degrees) to light+laser (90 degrees straight down) to laser only (45 degrees right) - or - disabled completely avoid accidental use (90 degrees left or right). Very easy to commit to memory VS other brands that require multiple button presses to change the settings.
  • The Surefire is going to be much tougher VS the CT plastic.
  • The Surefire will take the remote switches for handgun and rifle both.
  • The CT is much less expensive, or at least it was back when I bought it.

I keep the CT on my FsN out of principal – they're both lightweight. The Surefire goes on the 45T – they're both a tank. I also keep a X400U Red version on my SLP shotgun - not sure the CT would hold up to that kind of punishment. :twisted:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info. Let us know what kind of battery life you are getting when you get some time on it. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Finally got the 2nd and 3rd X400GU installed on the SCAR 17 SBR AND the PS90 SBR with the XT07 remote dual switches. I am really loving these surefire x400gu's!!!!

View attachment 26678 View attachment 26679

In fact, I am loving them so much the other 3 showed up yesterday for the SCAR 16, FSK2K with XT07 remote dual switches. The last one, number six...not sure where that one is going but it did ship with another DG16 switch so maybe another FNX45T in my future in FDE:)

View attachment 26680

·
Registered
240 Posts
Finally got the 2nd and 3rd X400GU installed...
Are you leaving on the green dot sticker? Mine was just stuck halfway on and looks to be printed on cheap, uncoated paper. I think it's so they pack the right ones in the right boxes. Looks cool on the black guns, though - not so much on FDE.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
No, I'm taking them off and agree and surprised they are still on. I love these units!

Are you leaving on the green dot sticker? Mine was just stuck halfway on and looks to be printed on cheap, uncoated paper. I think it's so they pack the right ones in the right boxes. Looks cool on the black guns, though - not so much on FDE.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts