FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
L.I. Student Suspended For Giving Teacher A Noogie

Honors Student Lashes Out Against 10-Month Suspension For 'Simple Pat On The Head'

LYNBROOK, N.Y. (CBS) ― If you think back to high school, memories of "noogies" and spitballs probably aren't far behind. On Friday, one Long Island honors student and his father are speaking out after the freshman was suspended for 10 months – all because he allegedly gave his Spanish teacher a noogie.

Ethan Mirenberg, 14, remembers his Spanish teacher, Sharon Cantante, as being a "great teacher," even though he received the nearly year-long suspension for supposedly giving her a noogie.

"I'm dismayed," he told CBS 2. "You can't let people throw you under the bus."

The Lynbrook School District alleges Mirenberg, a football and lacrosse player, forcibly grabbed Cantante by the neck and continued to press his knuckles against her scalp despite her pleas to stop.

And they say it happened more than once, but Mirenberg said it didn't happen that way. Instead, he described it as a "pat on the head."

The Mirenbergs presented pictures of other students giving Cantante noogies, and she's even smiling in them. Bill Mirenberg, Ethan's father, said his son's friends back up the story.

"This teacher, Ms. Cantante, is well respected in our school. Ethan enjoyed her class, did well. I myself had a good relationship with her as the parent of a student," he said.

Bill added that his son's friends told him he didn't do what he's accused of.

The Mirenbergs' lawyer said the eighth grade Spanish teacher didn't mind getting noogies every once in a while and he wants his client's name cleared.

"I want Ethan's record expunged," the boy's father said.

As for Ethan, he just hopes to return to Lynbrook High.

"I've learned a lot. The school year is done and I hope to return next year clean," he said.

The school district said that Ethan received a fair hearing in the case. The superintendent reviewed the facts and had actually reduced the original suspension of 24 months to 10 months.

When asked if Ethan's actions represented a simple hug and a pat on the head, the superintendent said "clearly not," and went on to say "when a teacher tells you to stop, you stop."

Ethan has moved to East Rockaway since the suspension, but if he moves back to Lynbrook he will be allowed to return to Lynbrook High on Sept. 1.

http://wcbstv.com/local/li.noogie.suspension.2.753394.html

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yep, doesn't the law say that even if your in the middle of a "noogie" and she says stop, you must or face the criminal justice system. Well, this might not be quite the same situation, however in the times we live in this kid is lucky he didn't get charge with sexual assault or some other serious crime.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
ICM856 said:
Yep, doesn't the law say that even if your in the middle of a "noogie" and she says stop, you must or face the criminal justice system. Well, this might not be quite the same situation, however in the times we live in this kid is lucky he didn't get charge with sexual assault or some other serious crime.
+1

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I think if any of us would have touched a teacher like that we would have been suspended too. Of course... that would have been after we got "swats" from the principal and we woke up from the coma our fathers beating would have put us into.

It sounds like that teacher didn't have control of that classroom.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Considering what kids today get away with in school, don't you think a 12 month suspension is too long? Throw him out for good, or do a week suspension. But 24 months, later reduced to 12?

I am not saying what he did was right.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Yea, what he did wasnt right but the punishment may have been a little severe. I went to military school and when we screwed up, well the headmaster would bring out his 2.5 in wooden paddle and give us a beating of a life time....a little harsh....maybe but we learned to behave and it usually only happened once. Luckily, I was fortunate enough not to get that....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts