FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a copy of the July 2006 SWAT Magazine (shows a pic of a guy shooting the PS90 on the cover) just to read more about the PS90, in case I missed something the pros caught so to speak.

The author writes that a 50 yd zero looks the best "on paper" and theoretically yields the flattest trajectory, which is what I've been saying for awhile. The estimated 5.7x28 ballistics I posted on the Wikipedia 5.7x28 article show 50 yd zeros and how SS195 should shoot relatively flat out to 200m.

He mentions the trigger pull (9 lb for him), built in reflex sights, and how the Europeans have always preferred the lack of a bolt hold open.

He mentions that Houston SWAT has gotten 100,000+ rd out of their P90s (bought in 1998) and they haven't required any parts replacements. I am not sure if that is just ONE P90 or all of them combined, but the barrels should be shot out by 30k-40k rounds unless Houston SWAT practices only slow-fire.

Overall it was an interesting article and the magazine was only $4.99 (tax free).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're welcome!

Here's my post from AR15.com:

I will attempt to cover the main points of the article that I found new/interesting, in case people cannot find a copy of SWAT locally and are interested in the PS90.

1). The author, Ned Christiansen, did a good job at avoiding any can of worms. He didn't speculate or comment on the effectiveness of 5.7 x 28 mm, and concluded the article by essentially stating that if you like it and can afford it, it will be a great recreational firearm.

2). He noted the compactness and low mass of the PS90.

3). The safety isn't as easy to work with gloves as with the AR-15 safety.

4). The trigger requires "about nine pounds" to drop the hammer. (I found that the PS90 trigger pull is about 7.5 lb for my weapon, and the mechanism in the hammer group requires 4.5 lb to release the hammer. So that leaves about 3lbf required to overcome frictional forces in the trigger and bar assembly.)

5). The author noted extensive use of injection molded plastic throughout the weapon system, and cited that the Houston, TX SWAT team has used the P90 since 1998, and has fired over 100,000 rounds without any breakage of the hammer, trigger, or disconnector (I think he meant 100k rounds TOTAL out of all of their P90s, that could mean 1000 rd per P90, total of 100 P90s, etc...)

6). The author noted that the weak-hand thumb can sometimes get tangled in the trigger area. (The solution is simple: use a thumbs-up grip similar to what is recommended for VFGs on AR15s.)

7). The author was getting 2.5"-3" 5-shot groups at 50 yd using SS195 and SS196.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I don't understand is how the author see's a 3-4MOA dot in the center. The Ring Sights website shows no such dot:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts