FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does anyone have one of the hard to find Tactical versions of the 5.7? I am curious to see the differences between the Tactical and the IOM.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I seem to remember that the Tactical would fire with magazine removed. And I think it was DA/SA or second strike as some would call it like Ruger does.

But I been USN Ret so long that I'm lucky to remember my name. :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
FiveseveN Pistol Variants

Five-seveN

This is the original Five-seveN variant. It has a DAO trigger and no safety device. It is no longer in production at all (nor was it never made available commercially), so it's extremely hard to find and may sell for over $3000. Note the old FN logo on the frame and the smaller, fixed sights.

Five-seveN Tactical

This is the second Five-seveN variant introduced. It is the same as the first, except for a single action trigger (as opposed to the original being DAO) and the addition of a safety device on both sides of the frame. The slide release on earlier Tactical pistols was dark and of a different shape. Early Tactical pistols also had a dark safety device as can be seen in the left picture given below. Also worth noting is that the Tactical variant, which was previously restricted to law enforcement/military, was briefly made available to individual officers (under the name IOM) with capacity reduced to ten rounds by epoxying in a block of plastic in the bottom of the stack, and with serial numbers from the new IOM range (3861xxxxx). These guns were allowed into the country and a few have actually made their way to the open market. You can tell an "IOM" Tactical from a military/law enforcement only Tactical by first, the serial number is in IOM format (3861xxxxx), not Tactical format (386Mxxxxx). Secondly, the serial is embedded in a metal strip above the accessory rail instead of silk-screened onto the frame above the grip. Finally, the newer Tactical/older IOM has adjustable rear sight whereas the LE/Military Tactical had small, fixed sights (see below pictures). Five-seveN Tactical pistols are becoming rare and may sell for over $2000.

Five-seveN IOM (Individual Officer Model)

The IOM variant is similiar in its basic design to the earlier Tactical variant, but differs in having an M1913 accessory rail, lined trigger-guard front strap, magazine disconnect ("magazine safety"), and taller, adjustable sights. It is only available in single action, similar to the earlier Tactical variant. The IOM is now discontinued and NIB usually sells for well over $1000.

Five-seveN USG (United States Government)

This is the most recent version of the Five-seveN. The USG keeps the features incorporated in the IOM, such as the magazine disconnect ("magazine safety"), single action trigger, and tall adjustable sights, but has some differences. These include a square (i.e. conventionally shaped) trigger-guard, checkered grip pattern, and a larger, reversible magazine release. There has been some confusion between the IOM and USG. Just remember once again that no matter what your user's documents call your Five-seveN, if it has the square trigger guard it is a USG. According to FN, the name mixup is due to the transition between the IOM and USG versions. USG pistols labeled "IOM" or "IOM USG" aren't any different than USG's labeled "USG". An average price for a USG is about $800.

The source was from another forum.

Gary

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I knew most of the info, but it did clear up some of it, I just with that there were pics with it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pics

Five-seveN IOM and Tactical Models

Brighter picture of those pistols. A bit easier to see the differences: sights, slide grooves, front of trigger guard, SN location, slide release and rails.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Man those are ugggggggly??? :lol:

I will stick with my Black USG fo use at night when a BG may try to enter the house. 8)

Now why does FNH USA only list ODG and FDE and not the black? So OD Green and Field Dark Earth are the only two colors they are offering at present!!! :?

Saw and FDE in a gun shop last week that was $125 more then a black model they had and when I asked why the price differental the guy said the "desert color" was rare and hard to get. He seemed upset when I told him that FNH USA website only listed the ODG and FDE (desert) colors and the black was not even listed on the website. I guess I should stop back by the shop this week and see if he still has the FDE priced higher. :shock:

·
Registered
239 Posts
My local shop charges the same for Black, FDE, & OD Green and still carries ALL three colors. Side by side I thought the FDE looked the best so that is what I purchased. I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I had someone mill off the adjustable sights and install an MRD.

MadDog :?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Those big round trigger guards were ugly, but in cold weather with gloves I guess they would be good to have.

Some dealers are nuts with the BS they put out about guns and pricing, we have one shop local like that. I go there to see and handle the guns and then go elsewhere and order what I want for 20% to 30% less.

Not to sure I would like that holographic setup on my FN, I have one on a revolver and the jury is still out as yet about keeping it. What I don't like is the drastic impact change of POA from 25 yards down to 7 yards or out to 50 yards. I do like the sights on my FN and they work well for me, but I will get a green laser later for the gun.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I find the POI shift at 7, 25, & 50 yards to be almost the same as the open sights that came on the gun. The big advantage I have with the red-dot sight is that I sight with both eyes open. All of my SHTF rifles have AimPoints or ACOG's on them so I am used to sighting with both eyes open. I wear glasses and have heavy astigmatisms so when using open sights I have to move my head up and down until I find the "sweet spot" in my lenses of my glasses otherwise everything is too fuzzy. By that time the fight will be over with me the looser. With red-dots my sight picture is almost instanttanious.

MadDog :shock:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have always had scopes on rifles and shot with both eyes open, same with Red Dot on my S&W 22a, but the Holo sight is so high on my S&W 610 revolver as to be the problem. On you gun looks like it would be closer to barrel by a wide margin I have a holo on a Ruger and it is a beauiful combo for shooting any range over 10 or 15 feet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Old Navy, don't be jealous.

MadDogDan, I'm with you on the BAC. It's the best way to aim. You can keep situational awareness of your "battlefield" better when you have both eyes open and focusing on potential targets.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I sorry, but I'm not jealous. :-D

Hey I hate to tell you guys, but I learned shoot with both eyes open. When shooting a handgun if I close one eye I can't hit a barn at 25 yards. :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
:D Definately better than learning to shoot with both eyes closed. :?

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I got one!! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts