FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you guys (probably think it’s stupid). I am saving up for a 5x7 and will get it at the end of Feb. I carry a Glock 23 now and one of the things I really enjoy is going to the range, putting down a spinning target about 25-30 yards out and plink away.

The target is rated up to .44 and I was wondering if I would be able to use it with the 5x7 because of its velocity? I know for example the same target made for rimfire can be shot at 25-30 yards (.22) but if you want to shoot at it with a .17 you are supposed to move it to 100 yards. I figure it is a velocity issue, which brings me to wondering about the 5x7 round.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
If U use 197 ammo, I know U will be fine. There was some picks of someone shooting steel targets with it, and it didn't even leave a mark on the metal, if I remember correctly. So, I would imagine you would be okay.

I thought they said that the 195 ammo stuck into it a few times.

·
Registered
980 Posts
5.7 vs steel target

I've used ss195 and ss197 with a 'rimfire only' steel spinner, with no harm done to myself or the target. Your heavy target may not move enough. The target is supposed to deflect bullets down by the way it tilts (spins). A rifle-type target causes .22LR to ricochet all over.
I'm curious to know what 5.7X28mm will do.
Let me know.
And have fun!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
1911_24_7 said:
I've heard of a range that banned the 5-7 because the bullets would punch through steel targets. YMMV.
Someone here months ago already tried the 5.7 with the spinners, if I remember correctly - it worked fine. No damage to the metal, from what they reported

1 - 6 of 6 Posts