FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So anyone have any info on this gun?
I saw one at the gun shop this week and I caught my eye because it reminded me of my SIG P229 Equinox. It also felt pretty nice.
But I have no idea how this gun holds up and shoot.
Any experience with this gun?

Model: 24/7-40DTP-15
Capacity: 15+1
Barrel Length: 4"
Action: SA/DA
Grips: Ribber Overlay
Weight: 28.2 oz
Frame: Medium
Front Sight: Heinie
Trigger Type: Smooth
Length: 7-1/4"
Grooves: 0
UPC: 7-25327-60569-0
Order #: 1-247401PDT-15
MSRP: $467.00

·
Registered
735 Posts
I've never really trusted Taurus products. My first handgun was a Taurus .38spl that I bought off of a friend just because he needed the money and the price was good. While it never failed to fire, I did find under inspection that the firing pin had broken (must have happened after the range trip just prior, or else I'm not sure how it was still firing), and I used to have nightmares about having to use the gun and it cartoonishly falling apart in my hand.

I have, however, heard a lot of good things about them. I don't have any personal experience with any of their lines other than with my .38, but if mine is typical of their fit and finish, I'd think twice.

One good thing I will say about the company is that they have pretty good customer service. They sent me a new firing pin for nothing and even paid first class shipping for it. They also sent me, a couple months later, a couple of their safety key things (not that I use them) when I had lost the one I got with the gun; again, no charge and free shipping. I think that's pretty nice considering I'm not even the original owner.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
No experience with them, but I haven't really heard many good things about them. I'd personally stay away from them.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the only thing holding me back is that its a Taurus...Haven't heard too many good things about them myself.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Good God, its a Taurus. I see SO many threads on other fprums - people having issues with customer service. Its almost like carbon copies of the stories... People get stuck for months waiting on Taurus to fix their guns. And, I see a lot of stories of guns being sent back by the company, and they haven't even been touched. Then, the person has to pay to ship it back again, as Taurus never picks up the tab on shipping, even when they screw up.

Crappy phone service with the customer reps too.

I'd pass.

They have a HIGH % of problem guns compared to other companies it seems

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
:evil:

The SIG Gods are gonna strike you down for comparing a Taurus to a SIG!

You better say 20 "Hail SIG's" fast. :x

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL :x

The slide has the same brushed look that the Equinox has, other than that they are nothing alike.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
tqtran said:
LOL :x

The slide has the same brushed look that the Equinox has, other than that they are nothing alike.
Since I think the OP has our opinion, a little drift...

tqtran, mentioning that brushed part reminded me of something. I messed up big time a while back. I layed my P226 Equinox down on a towel to try to rub out a tiny scratch that is on that brushed area you mentioned.

I was just buffing away on the slide while watching the tube. The gun kinda moved around a little on the towell. After a while the scratch looked a little better so I flipped the gun over to look at the other side real close.

Evidentally there must have been a piece of sand or a tiny metal shaving in the towell... now I have about a dozen little scratches on the other side. :oops:

Okay, back to topic, nothing to see here... but scracthes...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Taurus

Yup, Ships got it politely covered, buy these terds, and you WILL pay the price.

I have had an on-going affair with a PT 145, couldnt get it to fire, tore it apart and checked the FP block, springs, FP protrusion, the whole works, found the head space was so far off that the primer was barely being hit. oh yeah the mag release is a chintzy piece of plastic with a tiny sliver of bent metal to hold the mag in, that was missing, found it rattling around in one of the mags. reset it in the plastic with some epoxy that I have used to repair "SG1 grade" stuff, and it worked for half a range trip or about 40rds. Gave up and decided to avail myself of the warrantee, that was mistake.

Finally got it back from taurus, two shots into the test session the mag fell out , I guess it was my fault tho.... all that click click clicking trying to get it to fire probably jarred something loose again. Sooo, I called my wonderful contact a tooorruus, she did sound cute, and ask for someone that knew what headspace and loose breech was. Got a tech that seemed to understand techspeak(gunsmith dialect) and TOLD him what I wanted. A new bbl and a spare recoil spring assy for the 45acp PT 145. Aweek later the order showed up, A, ..... wait for it..... A 9mm bbl and spring!!!!! It was sent back with a large print re-order, 3 weeks later a USED 45 bbl with the wrong spring assy showed up. It was close enough to the SHOT Show that I decided to trap me a LIVE one and pee in his ear. In the mean time I machined out a steel mag release and fitted it to the frame, works marvelous.

At the Shot Show, I made contact with the Customer Service Manager, MR Crescenzi, nice man, offered to replace the WHOLE weapon, but not the shipping costs. I thought about it and decided I didnt want to start all over again with a new piece of crpp, the one I have I was at least familiar with and I dont give in that easily. I dug it out of the back of the dead line last week( been on ice since the 08 Shot Show) and tig'd up the front locking surface on the bbl, to correct the loose breech that was the result of the .030 that I milled off the bbl hood to get the headspace down to .008, form the .038 that it came with. This is still un finished, as the surfce grinder is set up for other stuff. It WILL work or I may hang this terd ona string and snap some 50yd PS90 shots at it....

This is not the only one that has crossed my path, but it is a personal experience that I can attest to. Most of the Guys that wrench on guns that I am in regular contact with have a very low opinion of the Taurus line of pistols. All Manufacturers have some lemons, but these brazilians must have a citrus subsidary somewhere.

AL N....SOF

·
Registered
137 Posts
taurus

Well I got it down to only one miss-fire out of 50 rds, the federal primers worked 100% with the win LP the only on that wouldnt pop on the first click. I guess the spring work is next.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts