FN Herstal Firearms banner

Tavor SAR X95 7

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  akitainu 
#1 ·
I've liked the Tavor since the Call of Duty MW2 days. I thought they were... different, so maybe I wouldn't actually like it once I handled one. The opposite was true. I love the feel of it. So, I have just one 556 AR and one 308 gun - a SCAR17. I've started to grow very fond of the 308 round. I know it's more pricey, but I feel like the rear weight bias of the Tavor and huge buttpad would make it rather soft for a 308 gun. I can't decide which caliber I'd want. Without just having a big 556 v. 308 fight, I'm curious what you guys think about each round specifically in the Tavor if you've ever owned one. And maybe someone can compare how the recoil of SCAR17 compares to Tavor 7?

If I go 556, I'm leaning towards an SAR, just because there's better deals to be had on them. The AK/HK style mag release doesn't detract me and the larger bolt release appeals to me.

Thinking of practical use. I've started using my SCAR for deer hunting. I'm going to try coyote hunting with my FN15. I feel like the compact package of the Tavor would make a sweet coyote gun too and all around good firearm to have when I go out to our farm.

#2 ·
The Tavor family are solid firearms. I have the SAR, X95 and Tavor 7. Reliable and handy, each of them. You would be well served by whichever you choose.
There is a slight learning curve with bullpups, nothing that a little practice can't overcome, and quickly. The X95 and Tavor 7 have a bit less of a curve given the button mag release.
The Tavor 7 is comparable to the SCAR 17 recoil-wise. For whatever reason, IWI put rubber butt-pads on the 5.56 guns, but put the 7.62 out with a hard plastic butt-pad. I did swap it out for the Manticore Arms version...much more comfortable.
The Tavor 7 also has a suppressed setting which I found pretty effective.

#3 ·
The Tavor family are solid firearms. I have the SAR, X95 and Tavor 7. Reliable and handy, each of them. You would be well served by whichever you choose.
There is a slight learning curve with bullpups, nothing that a little practice can't overcome, and quickly. The X95 and Tavor 7 have a bit less of a curve given the button mag release.
The Tavor 7 is comparable to the SCAR 17 recoil-wise. For whatever reason, IWI put rubber butt-pads on the 5.56 guns, but put the 7.62 out with a hard plastic butt-pad. I did swap it out for the Manticore Arms version...much more comfortable.
The Tavor 7 also has a suppressed setting which I found pretty effective.
So the answer is: buy all three! Haha
That is a great collection though. I have heard of Manticore. Looks like they have some solid, basic upgrade options for all three platforms.
I know some guys are all about the 556 life. I almost would feel weird having a few 30 cal. rifles, but only one in 556. They all have their advantages and intended use though.
Definitely more deals to be had as far as the SAR in 556 though. Might start seeking one of those out first. There's one, new old stock, in FDE for sale by a moderator in this forum too. A little more than I was planning to spend, but may be worth it!

#6 ·
Wow, those are beautiful!
Maybe an odd question, but do you know if the Tavor 7 accepts oem SCAR17 magazines? I have a lot of them, so would be nice if I don't have to buy new magazines. I'm starting to lean towards the Tavor 7. I also love that the bolt catch is HK style lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.