FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spend a few hours with this kid on Friday explaining gun safety, and teaching him how to squeeze the trigger. Made my day when he learned how to load a mag with 7.62 ammo. You have to be a guys guy to know what that means. Nice day at the range, and it is important to remember the Scar can made short for kids to shoot safely when supervised in a safe environment. Next step we will be taking it to hunting camp to help manage the hog population.

Up until this day he only had fired a Scar on video games. Pass it on to the next generation, teach then safety and let then have fun...

JD 3.jpg Jordan scar heavy.jpg Scar JD 2.jpg
Scar JD 3.jpg

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Wish I had been able to learn to shoot on a SCAR 17 set up like that! :MM:

Reactions: FLyon

·
Registered
43 Posts
My seven year old daughter wants me to teach her to shoot. I told her I would as soon as she learned to pay attention, listen, and follow directions; at the rate she' going, she'll inherit the guns before any of that happens. Actually, I've already started with her Nerf gun; muzzle awareness, finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Boy kids these days. Ipads, internet, learning to shoot on a Scar.
Back in my day I had to walk to their house to find out they werent there and had to learn on .22's. :mrgreen:

Looks like a good time for the kid and some good stories to tell on the playground.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My daughter (16) loves my SCAR. Brags to all of her buds about being able to accurate shoot a .308.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Congrats on the 17 range day with the little man. My oldest two (10 and 8 at the time) have had time shooting the SCAR 17. My daughter loves the rifle but my son was good after a few rounds due to the loudness of the 17'compared to the 16. He will get used to it I'm sure!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the compliments.

I have been coaching kids and teens for a few years now. Last year I helped three out of four members of the USA IPSC JR teen win gold for the US. The kid from the left to right I have been coaching since he was 12 or 13. He is now 18 and going to UF in FL as he wants to be a MD. The one on the right to left was a new team member, and we worked together for at least eight months. He is now sponsored by Tanfoglio, Italy, and the kid in the middle I only worked with him during the World Shoot match. He is going to the USAMU. He should report to basic camp sometime this year I think. I was not pulling the trigger, so the credit is all theirs. This is just the highly of my shooting career.

US JR Team.jpg

·
Registered
848 Posts
My dad takes me to a range here, hands me a snubnose 357 (I was 14), first time to a range. Yeah, I plan on being easier with my kid. You did right in my opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts