FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Barrel Cleaning is the technique (not bubbles, like SpongeBob) in question.

I use 1 inch patches on a jag, and solvent on the patch as my primary cleaning technique. I tend to not want to use a brass bristle brush.
I run new patches through each time, and eventually get to the point that it appears clean.

My problem is if I then run a thicker patch (like 2 of the 1 inch patches) through, I get more crap coming out. It's like 1 inch patch isn't "sweeping/squeegee-ing" the barrel well enough to clean it properly. But bigger/thicker patches are too much and don't go through the barrel.
So then I start over again with the solvent and patches.

So I am not even sure what my question is!
Should I be soaking patches more and letting it sit in the barrel for a few minutes?
Should I be use a brass bristle brush?
Different patches? Don't use a jag (use the slotted tip thing)?

The technique I described is what works great on just about everything else. Except here I am not seeing the same results.

So.... What's your technique on the barrel?
And how do you know when it's clean? (Mine is a clean patch and a look through the barrel.)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Bore snake idk why but the 5-7 is such a pain to clean the barrel because of a ridge or what ever. It catches everything I use but the bore snake. I run it twice and call it. It hardly it gets dirty. I hold the barrel up to a light and if it's shiny I stop.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I am with you guys on that one (bore snake). The pistol stays extremely clean anyway.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
507 Posts
It is really hard to get this gun dirty, you would have to fire hundreds of rounds, maybe 1000 rounds without cleaning to accomplish this. Cleanest gun I have ever owned. Just run a bore snake through it 2 or 3 times every 500 rounds and be done with it. I believe FN recommends a bore snake, but I could have just made that up :) I think I remember reading that somewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts