FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have read about some concerns about the quality of polymer frame, because in the owners manual it says not to use teflon based lubricants but glock hk s&w and sprinpfield do not have any such a warning.what fn means is not to soak the frame in these products.these lubricants and cleaners can weaken and discolor polymers like zytel, the other manufactors just do not give you the consumer the heads up,i am greatful fn gives the facts.they are just remembering when most guns were metal and when disass. parts were soaked overnite in cleaners and lubricants.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Good to know. The big question is how to find out if your lubricant/cleaner has teflon in it. I have used both breakfree CLP and militec-1, but have been careful not to get too much of it on the polymer. Seems like I have seen this question posed to the FN guy on this forum and he mentioned militec as being ok.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
This has been talked about in other threads...

I personally would keep using Breakfree CLP - the PS90 has a large, polymer stock. CLP is the recommended lube to use on the PS90 - it is mentioned in the FN Manual.

I also have had many polymer guns over the years. And, all but 1 of my current handguns are polymer. Breakfree CLP works fine with polymer handguns

·
Registered
13 Posts
just staw away from the rem oil. thats pure teflon. clp can be soaked on a gun. it's safe. you only need minor amounts of anything (but my desert eagle)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm in the precess of transitioning all my firearms to Mobil 1. Very good lube and it's relatively inexpensive ... one qt lasts forever. Even my ARs run for extremely long periods without issues.

--
Mike

·
Registered
873 Posts
Standard motor oil Mobil 1?

What grade?

·
Registered
44 Posts
What grade?
IIRC, anything marked Mobil 1 is synthetic, so I'm not sure it really matters. I just happen to be using the 5w-30.

--
Mike

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've used Ballistol. It's supposed to be based upon some sort mineral oil. It's stinky but it's supposed to be non-toxic and doesn't contain any teflon.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Anybody know off hand if Wilson Combat's Ultima-Lube contains teflon?

I might go back to using Mobile 1 in the end. Usually I have some extra after an oil change. I'm guessing the 10w-30 is better to use than 5w-30 because it is thicker?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts