FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know nothing about the FNFAL - You FAL guys. Can you tell me about this weapon and why it is loved so much?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Produced in 1950, was the main battle rifle for many countries (at least until the appearance of the HK G3 in 1959). A very reliable and rugged firearm.

Original FN-manufactured FAL's (G-series, GL-series, 50.00, 50.41, 50.42, 50.63 and 50.64) bring a premium on the current market as they have not been imported since the 1989 ban.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Interesting - I too had wondered a bout it - why FN didn't sell them here anymore. Didn't realize it was because of the ban.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Interesting - I too had wondered a bout it - why FN didn't sell them here anymore. Didn't realize it was because of the ban.
Also, Ship, I do not believe they are even manufactured anymore.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
FALna45 said:
HERE is a great primer.
Nice find! But I believe that it is the 50.63 (not the 50.64 per Wikipedia) that had the "aluminum" receiver with "special" aluminum, black (darker than "regular") 20-round magazine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
AGG said:
Nice find! But I believe that it is the 50.63 (not the 50.64 per Wikipedia) that had the "aluminum" receiver with "special" aluminum, black (darker than "regular") 20-round magazine.
IIRC Blake's book states availability was thus:
(inch conversions rounded off)
50.61 standard barrel (533mm/20.984"), steel lower
50.64 standard barrel (533mm/20.984"), alloy lower
50.63 458mm/18.031" or 436mm/17.165" ?with either lower/barrel combo?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Is this applicable to the FA's or SA's available to the civilian market?

I think that you are correct as the top cover scope mount for the 50.64 is, I believe, different from those of the other models that can use the same top cover scope mount.

Also, on the 50.63, there was a "lightweight" para magazine as described above.

Thanks for the correction. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
AGG said:
Is this applicable to the FA's or SA's available to the civilian market?

I think that you are correct as the top cover scope mount for the 50.64 is, I believe, different from those of the other models that can use the same top cover scope mount.

Also, on the 50.63, there was a "lightweight" para magazine as described above.

Thanks for the correction. :)
i'm just regurgitating what i've read in the Blake book, and not everything therein is complete or correct, but all the 50.6x (folding stock) variants use the para-specific topcover / bolt carrier which contain / capture the return springs normally situated in the return tube inside the (fixed) buttstock.

the alloy para mags are my favorites.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
That makes perfect sense!

Never see the alloy para magazines for sale. They are quite nice!

CAN ANYONE POST PICS OF THE TWO, DIFFERENT TOP COVERS AND EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCES?

·
Registered
27 Posts
here's a typical fixed stock type.
note the 'rat-tail' fixed to the bolt carrier. as the bolt & carrier travel rearward in the receiver body, rear tip of tail at "A" is driven into the return spring plunger through a hole in the lower receiver at "B" which compresses the springs in the tube inside the buttstock.

the non-para topcover, for lack of better description, is open on fore and aft ends. with the action open the bolt & carrier can be withdrawn to the rear with the cover remaining in place.

for the stock to fold, the return springs are relocated to a recess atop the para carrier.

the para topcover has a plate at it's rear to which a guide rod for the return springs is fixed. at the fore end of the cover there is a lip that hangs down into the interior of the cover a bit so that it catches the front top edge of the carrier, trapping the B/BC/topcover together so you pull the whole assembly out together.

the lip at the front of the cover requires a counterbore to be cut inside the receiver at the gas piston hole, unless you're one who would grind the lip off.

{can't find my para-cut receiver pic yet...}

the plate at the rear of the para topcover requires a clearance cut on the lower's recoil plate that is larger than on non-para lowers.
para:

non-para recoil plate:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Wow, FALna45! Thanks tremendously for the description and pics!!! Those clearly explained the differences on each. Again, thanks for your time in doing that for me! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
inch / metric differences

no problem AGG...had the pictures hosted already so just a matter of sifting through them.

to continue telling about these fine rifles, here are some more pics that help illustrate
*basic* differences between the "metric" and "inch / commonwealth" patterns, largely
copy/pasted from a previous post elsewhere:

there are alot of differences. many subtle, others not so much.
most any parts kit and receiver can be assembled regardless of their respective
origin / pattern (metric/inch)

as far as wether the receiver is inch or metric, it could be either or some of both if
we're discussing century stuff. i'm not sure about the receivers they made, but some of
the (metric) Imbel receivers they imported, while type 3 externally, had some of the inch
cuts done to them. the pertinent areas to check (besides external profile) are:
the cut for the mag (inch on left):

corresponding portion of mags (again, inch on left)

because the cut out is larger on inch guns, they MAY function w/ either pattern mag but
sometimes the metrics will be sloppy and can cause feeding problems. (in-spec) metric
receivers won't accept inch mags.
here is the difference in floorplates, inch on right:

Commonwealth rifles have a folding rather than fixed knob on the charging handle:

here are the cuts for the charging handle (inch on left, cut back to allow for the folding handle):

the folding inch version may be employed on an unmodified metric receiver if the folding knob is
ground enough to fold over the forward end of the receiver. the slide portion is also a bit thicker/
wider than the metric and needs to be filed / sanded to fit into the CH rails.

inch top covers have downward-protruding tabs at their rear which fit into recesses in the
receiver. metric covers / receivers do not feature this.
inch cover on left:

inch cover on rightt:

cuts for the tabs at the rear of the inch top cover:

a comparative metric photo without the cuts....(my T1 SA58 which is metric type 1 but has
some inch sand cuts inside[dished-out portions along the carrier guide rails]):

sand cut features rarely encountered on metrics are the norm for the Commonwealth rifles'
receivers (as DSA pic above shows) bolts & (most obviously) bolt carriers. as seen here:

bolts are different too between them (metric on left now):

differences at rear of bolts / carriers, inch in front:

inch to left has a relief cut

firing pins do not interchange.

inch pattern rifles have a BHO which holds the bolt back only when YOU push it up while
retracting the handle, not automatically on the last shot as the metric rifles do. you can
replace the short pin on these (5/64"DIA IIRC) or the whole unit if you desire the last round hold-open.
the inch BHO shaft (and it's recess in the receiver) is slightly larger in diameter.
consequently a metric version will fit a little loose but should function ok.
inch on left:

-note the metric BHO has a 'wide foot'. there are also (earlier) metrics with a narrow foot,

and the Izzy variant which has a hole drilled through the tab that extends up off the foot.
no pic sorry...

the Commonwealth mag release is much different than the metric, extending the control surface
out to the rifle's left. interchangeable to metric receivers with the (longer) inch screw to
accompany it:

clockwise from top left are inch, metric, Israeli (my fav by far) & a tapco "Holland":

inch pattern flashiders employ a notched barrel / pin&donut arrangement whereas most metric
muzzle devices just screw on (excepting a few lugged variants).

the Commonwealth pattern features an "open-eared" gas block (a few metric variants feature this,
too, but i believe use metric-style regulator assy's.) that accepts a different type of front sight,
a blade more than a post as on metrics. the Commonwealth line of sight is ~3mm higher than the metric,
and employs a folding rear aperture not found on the metric pattern.
here are inch and metric gas blocks (inch on left)

the gas regulator / adjusting nut on the L1A1 aren't threaded onto the gas block as are the metric.
L1A1 on left:

gas plugs, "A" auto setting, note inch is not lettered but has a groove on the auto side which (or the A)
must be oriented to the rifle's top when you're not launching grenades or you'll be single shot!
inch on left:

"G" grenade setting, inch on left:

front & rear views, inch on left:

among the differences you don't readily see are the washers employed in timing the Commonwealth barrel:

and the 45* gas port as opposed to metric @90* to the bore's axis.

the lowers, while interchangeable amongst upper receiver types as assemblies, have major differences
which preclude interchanging many internal components. a quick way to check for lower type is the metric
pistol grip is fixed from it's underside by a nut while the Commonwealth PG is fixed by a bolt down thru
the top of the lower. buttstocks are quite different. Commonwealth lower has tangs that accept the buttstock:

on a metric rifle the stock or it's ferrule butt up against the lower. (can be seen in the next pic....)
the Commonwealth selector is way oversized compared to a metric version also. here are selectors
metric:

inch:

alot yet to cover, but there's a start!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Man, FALna45, thanks again for the pics and information, as well as your time for doing this! :shock:

·
Registered
27 Posts
-added more illustrative topcover images to para / non-para discussion
-added more illustrative images to inch vs. metric discussion re:
topcovers, B/BC, gas plugs, stock/lower interface, mag floorplate

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Thanks again so much for the additional pics, FAL45na!!! Maybe Ship will place this as a "sticky" in case someone needs a reference for these items.

I am surprised that you do not have a grenade launcher front sight pictured. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
AGG said:
surprised that you do not have a grenade launcher front sight pictured. :D
i know.....nor an StG!
i thought i'd post up what i have in the way of metric variations next. that's what i have most of in the parts pile. maybe a day or two.
i just had a GL plug in my hand too, putting it in the pile that's about ready to become my next build.
i think all it needs now is a BHO screw & the barrel CCT'd.
hard not to just pilfer a part like that out of a 'sealed' box w/ a complete kit in it.....but i resist!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Don't succomb to the temptation; keep sealed until you really, really, really need to open! :twisted:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts