FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Looks like a damn nice scope. No reason not to put it on the SCAR if it's what you're looking for magnification wise. Rings, are you looking for really QD rings or just a good set of solid rings? I'd go Seekins if I were mounting it, I use them on both my SCARs and have no complaints. If you want to take the scope off it only takes about 1-2 minutes taking your time. Repeatability has been great too.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I own the 5-25 ATACR in the MOAR Reticle flavor and put it on the scar for a few pics before the 2.5-10X 42 MOAR came in. Never shot it on the Scar 17 though. I don't do any real long range shooting since I'm still waiting to get to a longer range. I'm not a SHTF kinda guy I just like going to the range and although not necessary I don't think it's absurd to use to use it on the Scar 17 either. I'm with bearclaw though I don't like FFP scopes on low magnification so mine is SFP since I shoot at known distance ranges and don't need to range find with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
Before you purchase I'd recommend you check out Vortex Optics Viper HS-T 4-16x44. I think you will be impressed. I've ditched NF for Vortex which IMHO has better everything. Not to mention vortex's amazing warranty. Seeing is believing...hehehe

·
Registered
354 Posts
Before you purchase I'd recommend you check out Vortex Optics Viper HS-T 4-16x44. I think you will be impressed. I've ditched NF for Vortex which IMHO has better everything. Not to mention vortex's amazing warranty. Seeing is believing...hehehe
I own a Vortex ViperPST 4-16X50. It's an OK scope for the price but it's not on the same planet as the ATACR 4-16X42 F1 scope. Yes Vortex has a great warranty but so does Nightforce and the Vortex build doesn't compare with the ruggedness and durability, clarity and resolution of the ATACR. If you have the funds get the ATACR. I have an ATACR 5-25X56 scope with the MOAR reticle and the glass is head and shoulders above the 4-16X50 FFP Viper. But the advice on the usefulness of the FFP scope reticles on 4X should not be ignored. That's why I just bought the SFP 5.25-25X56 ATACR over the new F1 version.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Not to disrupt the thread but this FFP vs SFP issue is "odd" to me. Most of my hunting rifles wear Kahles Helia scopes and all are FFP. I've got 1.5-6x, 3-12x and 2.2-9x scopes and even on their lowest settings the reticles are very clear and easy to use. Maybe it's the tactical reticles vs the good old fashion duplex cross hairs that really makes the difference.

·
Registered
498 Posts
ATACR? 4-16×42 F1 Riflescope | Riflescopes & Sport Optics | Nightforce Optics, Inc.

I've got a serious jones for this thing. Anyone heard anything about it? I am assuming since it is NF it is good to go on a SCAR. Ring recommendations?
From everything I've heard it's awesome and perfect for a .308 gas gun. If you are looking to use your 17 for more of a DMR role shooting longer distances go for it, it's the best scope on the market for that role in my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think it all depends on how far you're looking to shoot. I've got three NF scopes with different magnifications, each one mounted on rifles based on their long-range capabilities.
Sig SSG 3000 24" - ATACR 5-25X56 Mil-Rad
M1A 22" - NXS 3.5-15X50 Mil-Dot
SCAR 17 - NXS 2.5-10X42 Mil-Dot

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the FFP thing and weight are the only things that give me pause. 10CTrojan, how far out have you taken the NXS 2.5-10X42? How big a problem has the FFP been on your ATACR at 5X? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in Southern California, so long distance shooting opportunities are limited. 200 yards is the distance of the rifle range I go to. With my ATACR on my SSG 3000, I can easily get head shots of silhouette targets at that distance. I will try a 500 yard range next week with it. My ATACR is a second focal plane model I bought just before FFP models were released this year.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
It's your gun, put what you want on it! I personally like to run multiple optics, Aimpoint for close range, Elcan for midrange, and higher power scopes for long range. Nothing wrong with NF, but there are cheaper options in Leupold and Vortex for long range that don't sacrifice that much.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think the FFP thing and weight are the only things that give me pause. 10CTrojan, how far out have you taken the NXS 2.5-10X42? How big a problem has the FFP been on your ATACR at 5X? Thanks
I just purchased the Nightforce 3-10x42 SHV and cant believe how nice a scope I purchased for the money!!! Took it out to 1k yards a couple weeks ago and hit everything out to 900 yards, struggled between 900 and 1k yards but it wasn't the scope's fault--ran out of velocity!! The scope is very nice and 1000 yards is very feasible, maxed out my elevation and was on the first hash mark down off the x of the scope to hit at 1k yards. I have the MOAR reticle and like it. I just noticed tonight that after shooting a couple hundred rounds my scoped moved in my ADM Recon scope mount. I had it torqued to spec @ 25 in lbs. Will have to contact Nightforce and ADM and see what can be done.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just noticed tonight that after shooting a couple hundred rounds my scoped moved in my ADM Recon scope mount. I had it torqued to spec @ 25 in lbs. Will have to contact Nightforce and ADM and see what can be done.
A single drop of red loctite on the scope ring just before you drop the scope into it.

Not the screws, but IN the portion that touches the scope body.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Not to disrupt the thread but this FFP vs SFP issue is "odd" to me. Most of my hunting rifles wear Kahles Helia scopes and all are FFP. I've got 1.5-6x, 3-12x and 2.2-9x scopes and even on their lowest settings the reticles are very clear and easy to use. Maybe it's the tactical reticles vs the good old fashion duplex cross hairs that really makes the difference.
On a duplex reticle without subtensions used for ranging I don't think the lower magnification ranges would be a problem. But why get a ftp scope with a duplex reticle?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts