FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A regular gun show that has been a staple of Austin, Texas, since 2010 will end this month because its organizer refuses to obey local Democrats’ demands for background checks that go beyond state and federal laws.

“It is not really my job to infringe on anyone’s rights,” said Todd Beiter, the owner of Saxet Gun Shows, which has hosted gun shows at the Travis County Exposition Center for four years, according to the Austin American-Satesman.

The gun show set for Jan. 25-26 will go on because it has a lease on the site. The show won’t be held next year, though, because the contract will not be renewed.

At issue is the Travis County Commission Court’s demand that Saxet require background checks for private sales at the gun show.

Federally licensed gun dealers must already perform background checks – to make sure potential buyers aren’t felons prohibited from owning guns – but private citizens don’t have undergo the screenings. That wasn’t good enough for the Travis County Commissioners Court (four Democrats, one Republican), which demanded the 10 percent of guns purchased at the show by private citizens be submitted to a background check, too.

“If you use a public facility to sell guns, we really oughta have background checks done. Or don’t use the facility,” County Judge Sam Biscoe, the commission’s chairman, told the American-Statesman.

Read more: Texas gun show pulls plug; refuses to comply with Dems? background checks - BizPac Review

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Hmm, wonder if this will also affect the SAXET show here in San Antonio at some point.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
That sucks... This is effectively a win-win situation for the other side. They either condition others to Do the extra checks or the run the gun show out of town.

Hopefully the people of Travis County push back.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
I say they should continue however not comply. I would say that it is probably the strategy in some sort, for the anti-gunners to motivate these people to give up. In the end- they are winning still. Gun background check, give up and refuse-- many loose again win for them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A bit of advise from a Colorado resident going through something I never thought I would see here. Don't walk away from a city like this and write it off. Before you know it the liberal infestation will take over your state. Stand and fight now! Today it's Austin, tomorrow it will be Dallas, San Antonio, next thing you know you are losing your gun rights state wide. Don't think it can't happen to you because it will. Dems have there sights on Texas as well and it's just a matter of time.

·
Registered
316 Posts
A bit of advise from a Colorado resident going through something I never thought I would see here. Don't walk away from a city like this and write it off. Before you know it the liberal infestation will take over your state. Stand and fight now! Today it's Austin, tomorrow it will be Dallas, San Antonio, next thing you know you are losing your gun rights state wide. Don't think it can't happen to you because it will. Dems have there sights on Texas as well and it's just a matter of time.
Agreed, I live just a few miles out of Dallas. While not flamboyantly liberal there are a good number of liberal people living here. Texas hasn't always been a red state and recently it hasn't been staying red by a huge margin. This issue needs to be fought, if we start giving ground here it won't take long for us to be falling backwards down the hill.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Agreed, I live just a few miles out of Dallas. While not flamboyantly liberal there are a good number of liberal people living here. Texas hasn't always been a red state and recently it hasn't been staying red by a huge margin. This issue needs to be fought, if we start giving ground here it won't take long for us to be falling backwards down the hill.
The major cities voted 50-50 (not counting Austin) in the 2012 election. However, Texas was solid Red in the overall results. The key to Texas is the border vote. I think, and hope, that Ted Cruz can convince the Latino voters that conservatism is in their best interest.

·
Registered
454 Posts
So what happens if they say they did and really didnt? Yeah we did 10% of the background checks, when in reality they did none. Simply say that no guns were sold by non licensed sellers, no private sales were made. Just lie. If it goes to court, take it to the State. Make it a fiasco.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am sure I am going to get flamed. I think they did the right thing by leaving.

I have been working gunshows for about 2 years making and selling paracord slings and bracelets. I have even sold a couple of my own guns I was not using anymore.

There is several guys across from me who were there selling their own "private collection". I do not know how many times I saw then buy a gun from a guy walking around and turn around and selling it 20 min later. I never thought anything about it.

Fast fwd a year a buddy opened up a shop and I have been working part time for him. We have have to collect sales tax, fill out 4473, have insurance, and pay for our FFL. My point of view has changed. I think the ATF needs to do something about these guys running a bussiness off of the books. I do not have a problem with a person clearing ot some of their stuff. It is a grey area that does need to be looked at. I do not have the perfect answer.

Flame suit on, you guys can flame away.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am sure I am going to get flamed. I think they did the right thing by leaving.

I have been working gunshows for about 2 years making and selling paracord slings and bracelets. I have even sold a couple of my own guns I was not using anymore.

There is several guys across from me who were there selling their own "private collection". I do not know how many times I saw then buy a gun from a guy walking around and turn around and selling it 20 min later. I never thought anything about it.

Fast fwd a year a buddy opened up a shop and I have been working part time for him. We have have to collect sales tax, fill out 4473, have insurance, and pay for our FFL. My point of view has changed. I think the ATF needs to do something about these guys running a bussiness off of the books. I do not have a problem with a person clearing ot some of their stuff. It is a grey area that does need to be looked at. I do not have the perfect answer.

As a business owner myself (unrelated field), i have to agree. Never thought of it that way until now.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Sad to see them close. So the Dem's win, because of it.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Your just concerned about your profits now not our freedoms, bottom line.

Just remember, when you push to have these guys shut down, they will come for you next so think carefully before you support ANY action that will compromise our rights.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
stand and fight doesnt work that well here in Commie connecticut

Jan 30th, is when our court hearing will take place..hopefully the SB1160 gungrabbing will be overturned

1 - 20 of 34 Posts