FN Herstal Firearms banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a FNX-45 and FNX-45 tactical. I wanted to have a carry gun that was almost identical to my competition gun. It was either between the FNX or the HK45 tactical and HK45c tactical. I chose FN because of the features which it came with (such as the milled slide, suppressor sights and 15 rounds of 45). I post this simply because if there is someone out there on the fence as I was, I hope they have an honest opinion versus the "fan boy" stuff.
Both my fnx45 and fnx45t (both had their test fires this year) had the mag catch problem. Both wouldn't eject an empty mag. And now I found both are having issues with failure to feed (which happened to 3 out of my 7 mags). These rounds were all spec saami rounds, the gun would just jam them into the barrel angled up to where the gun needed "immediate action to return to battery. Now before you say it, I read the posts, I followed the procedure (which is stupid as hell to have to do on a major manufacturer's gun). I locked the slide back and filled the mags for a week. I even had 2 mags get stuck halfway down (which let the rounds go loose in the magazine and fall out!
I had to send in my fnx-45t to fn, and to their credit, the repairs were done within a week. The blatant nonsense is to when an operator claims to never had heard of this problem before (most likely the suit's provided answer). I shouldn't have to do repairs or send a gun in just so it can eject an empty mag. QC and the blind eye to issues like this really let me down. I wanted these two pistols to be everything they claimed to be, but unfortunately, they are not. So tomorrow I'm selling my fnx45 to a guy and as soon as I get my fnx45t back, I'll sell that to. I never, ever had anything like this as problems from hk. I'll have the last of my things (holsters, mags, etc) listed as for sale once they're both gone. I know all guns fail on some levels at some point, but this is over the top and completely unacceptable. I know this stuff hasn't been an issue to a lot of you members, and if your gun rocks then right on. I just cannot trust these guns.
I wanted a SCAR 17s, but now I'm not too sure...
i guess I'll wait until I can buy a M249 or M240 to look back FNs way.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ok...
Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Reactions: IGC224

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just not interested in junk guns, as mine are necessary. However a POG who shoots paper 3 times a year wouldn't know anything about that.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I have put approx 3k rounds through my fnx45 and yes I have had the same issues you describe. the mag release problem is a definite sour taste in my mouth. Having fixed the issue myself. I think the gun is slightly oversprung and using hotter ammo alleviated the ftf issues. I am not that impressd with the fit and finish compared to my hk45. I blame the issues on the fnh us plant. I beleive they have some serious qc issues. I have 0 issues with my belgium made ones ;five seven ps90 scar 16/17 fs2000.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I guess I should dump HK then. I had a 40 S&W USP that didnt cycle right and buldged cases on the lower section of the case from the unsupported chamber.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
These rounds were all spec saami rounds,

I even had 2 mags get stuck halfway down (which let the rounds go loose in the magazine and fall out!
hmm, those sound like they're longer than 1.265". the SAAMI max is 1.275", but most will run under that. I've had WWB do that and it was 1.28" OAL.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
A little inflammatory don't you think? :p

It's one thing to be disenchanted with a particular manufacturer, quite another to make unflattering assumptions.

Just not interested in junk guns, as mine are necessary. However a POG who shoots paper 3 times a year wouldn't know anything about that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
sry you had a bad experience. my fnx-45 tactical has had 1000 rounds thur it in about a months time using several different brands of ammo and its been 100 % flawless !!! guns are machines and I dont care what gun it is sometimes there will be a problem.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I wanted a SCAR 17s, but now I'm not too sure...
Big companies like FN do have different groups for different product lines. Likely the guys who designed the pistols are not the same group as the guys who designed the SCAR. I wouldn't buy an FN pistol, just prefer Sig and HK instead. But I love my FN rifles (SCARs). Sig had problems with their early 556 rifles years ago that turned many people off, but I have always had great experience with their classic line of pistols. Beretta makes a fantastic semi-auto shotgun but I'm not going to be buying a 92FS pistol. Glock makes a great pistol but hasn't even tried to make a carbine.

It's ok to have different guns from different manufacturers. Just buy the best of what each company makes if it fits your needs. FN may not have their pistols all debugged yet but they make a great rifle. I wouldn't pass up on a SCAR 17 because of a buggy FNX, the only person losing in that deal is you.

Dealing with a customer service rep on the phone can be a mixed bag with all of these companies, they aren't all knowledgeable on all the products. Look how long it took HK to improve their customer service reputation. As long as they actually handle the issue then that is all I care about, and it sounds like in this can FN did.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys are not getting it. "They fixed the problem". So I should have to send in my guns to get fixed. So I should put up with a manufacturer who is going to put out crap, and have to send it back to be what they promised? I got these guns this year, and they have been out with reports over this **** for some time now, yet they're still reporting them.
No, the rounds were loaded to 1.230", so they were not over saami spec.
Badass? No, I use my guns for defensive purposes as well and it really upsets me that a company would put out crap like this.
Sorry to hear about problems with your hk, I'm going with the hk45tactical and I used to own a hk45. The gun was the highest quality polymer pistol I have ever held, but my ex wife got it in the divorce.
Listen, you guys can have brand loyalty or just plain never had issues. However there are a ton of threads out here with people complaining of problems with the fnx and yet the manufacturer never had a recall, never changed that part, and now I finding several bad mag (which are $44 a piece). Come on, there isn't enough kool aid in the world for me to rely on a gun like this.

·
Registered
132 Posts
brand loyalty ? look at my sig, thats just a few. once again sry u got one of the bad guns from the 1000s upon 1000s that are made.
I dont get it? they fixed it so whats the problem ? FN, Sig, HK, Glock, Smith&wesson, Spring field Armory, Ruger, Beretta, wilson combat ETC all have had problems it happens. its a machine with lots of moving parts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Big companies like FN do have different groups for different product lines. Likely the guys who designed the pistols are not the same group as the guys who designed the SCAR. I wouldn't buy an FN pistol, just prefer Sig and HK instead. But I love my FN rifles (SCARs). Sig had problems with their early 556 rifles years ago that turned many people off, but I have always had great experience with their classic line of pistols. Beretta makes a fantastic semi-auto shotgun but I'm not going to be buying a 92FS pistol. Glock makes a great pistol but hasn't even tried to make a carbine.

It's ok to have different guns from different manufacturers. Just buy the best of what each company makes if it fits your needs. FN may not have their pistols all debugged yet but they make a great rifle. I wouldn't pass up on a SCAR 17 because of a buggy FNX, the only person losing in that deal is you.

Dealing with a customer service rep on the phone can be a mixed bag with all of these companies, they aren't all knowledgeable on all the products. Look how long it took HK to improve their customer service reputation. As long as they actually handle the issue then that is all I care about, and it sounds like in this can FN did.
i really do love the scar, and it is handling everything thrown at it overseas. I carried an m9 and I wasn't too impressed, however it never had problems. Personally I think that design was to make it a club once it ran out of rounds. I'm glad that they are taking care of this, but when I spend $1100 on a gun, I shouldn't have to deal with this. And when they know of an issue which has been ongoing for years, they should fix it. It shouldn't be an issue of "let them work themselves out and those who have the problem will send them back in". What about some poor cop who is carrying this on duty and these issues become apparent at the wrong time? I get a bad mag, **** goes wrong and **** happens, but the gun needs to work, or should be recalled / fixed on the latest production models. Any company that just let's a known problem "ride" on a potentially life-defending weapon is irresponsible and gives me hesitation in doing any form of business with them. I will try to consider the SCAR 17, but I cannot help that my previous experiences will play some part of a role. I don't have the luxury of an armored or limitless budget anymore. I need to make smart, practical decisions from now on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The problem is I got 2. 2 made at different times. 2 which shouldn't have come off the line of a distributor selling potentially life saving firearms. This disappointed me and while you do own a sig, I doubt you're carrying the tactical on a day to day. But of course you'll probably say "sometimes I do" at which point you'll use that to justify your position and we won't be able to disprove you because this is the internet. So let's just skip all that.
The handguns are crap.
Oh, I completely forgot to mention, I owned an fnx45T last year, and it still had the same ****ing problem. So how about you back off the whole "you got a bad one" routine. This **** is chronic and completely unacceptable with an $1k+ gun with $44 dollar mags.
The guns are ****, good on you if you got a good one, but I chronically got ****, which leads me to believe that those without the problems are actually the minority. Walked into a gun store this morning, the gun they were selling, same problem. So you wanna get butt hurt with me? I'm simply explaining to those who want this gun, people who were on the fence with this and another gun, to look elsewhere . Odds are, the gun you get will be garbage and you'll be lucky to get your money back out of it. I'm already taking a hit, but whatever, I'm glad to spend the money a new gun which I feel I can trust. Something I can compete with as well because these guns are crap, and anyone yelling it from the top of the fn factory is really going to make me think otherwise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.