FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well some have asked to see it with the CQBSS on it and the 1-6 Mark 6 besides its usual 3-18x44 Mark six so here is a few pics. (Note: the Delta Point on the CQBSS is because I just took the CQBSS off of one of my other rifles just to see if I like it on the SCAR. The SCAR already has one of its own but... I just I thought I'd explain that one.) All scopes are in Mark 6 IMS mounts except the CQBSS is in a ERA TAC quick release one piece. IMG_1675.JPG IMG_1677.JPG IMG_1679.JPG

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1.8-8, 3-18x44, and 1-6 Loopies?

Any input yet?
You have to have some disikes/likes.
Oh yes, just like anyone else I have my favorites. I love the 1-6 for its eye box at 1x since running it at highest illumination it works just like a red dot sight and its lighter than the others. But I tend to like that one for 3 gun matches and my other 5.56 platforms. (it and the HAMR are set for the ACR which right now is waiting for its 10"bbl. and another bbl. being made if .458 SOCOM) The Mark 8 I love for its amazing zoom capabilities and weirdly perfect box drill adjustments tracking that was tested out on my bench rifle. It too is not too heavy and I love the pinch lock adjustments! Love'em! also the crazy low illumination settingd that work with "night light" eyes. (most scope illuminate too strongly for night vision) But.... I am spoiled with the 1-6's perfect 1x and wish the CQBSS went to a true 1x. It's only because I have both to switch to back and forth that I see the difference. Others it doesn't bother at all. Now we come to the 3-18x44. Weirdly enough - my favorite! I can still run and gun with it a 3 power because of a super wide prescription of glass that make the 3x seem like 1.5x and then to be able to shoot it in our 600yard matches and have stupid clarity and edge to edge eye box forgiveness that is off the scale amazing.... I have to go with the Mark 6 3-18 as my favorite. I see why the DEV group and ECOS-O guys both selected this one for the Mil. contract. (you have to try this one out to believe it.) Never would I have thought a 3-18 power scope would be a top choice for a battle rifle, but now I know why those guys chose it for just that. I own some stupid money optics and this is by far my favorite. But you might be different. I'm just giving you MHO. (forgive the spelling errors - flew this one out on the keys... gotta' run.)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks so much for your input -- I am running only aimpoint red dot right now and have been thinking hard about the 3-18 but thought it may be just a tad too much -- you have confirmed my suspicion that it will work well!

Reactions: lefthanded7

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow, first off I applaud you for your great taste in optics. Next, I almost fell out of my chair when I saw these pics, since these are exactly the top three scopes that i have been mulling over (plus Elcan 1.5-6). I had almost decided to pass on the 3-18, since I was concerned about the form factor and it seemed like just too much scope for a battle rifle, but it gets such rave reviews...I will now have to reconsider. Interestingly enough, the CQBSS was originally my first choice, but it really seems like the Mark6 outshines it in several areas, including price. I was going to ask your opinion on all three, but you seem to have summarized that well too. Any more insights?? BTW, while we are at it, how do you like the extended FN rail. Thx!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Some nice glass buddy, this post is gonna get in my wallet, I can see it already:th_bang:

Reactions: lefthanded7

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, first off I applaud you for your great taste in optics. Next, I almost fell out of my chair when I saw these pics, since these are exactly the top three scopes that i have been mulling over (plus Elcan 1.5-6). I had almost decided to pass on the 3-18, since I was concerned about the form factor and it seemed like just too much scope for a battle rifle, but it gets such rave reviews...I will now have to reconsider. Interestingly enough, the CQBSS was originally my first choice, but it really seems like the Mark6 outshines it in several areas, including price. I was going to ask your opinion on all three, but you seem to have summarized that well too. Any more insights?? BTW, while we are at it, how do you like the extended FN rail. Thx!
"Any more insights?" I have to say after reading my quick review if you want to call it that is that I have to say that ALL of these scopes are Bad @$$!!! I Love each one - and I'm saying this because I don't want to sound like the 3-18x44 makes the others look bad. The CQBSS is so amazing, as well as the 1-6 Mark 6. You Truly can't go wrong with any of them!!! Pick the one you lke, you won't be disappointed. Seriously!! Now about your question on the FN extension. I love how it give me the area right at the gas block/front sight to hold which is where my arms reach happens to go. I also like how it adds a bit of nose weight in which I love since I love a 60/40 nose weight gun for better swing and steady balance in off hand shots. The fit of the thing is incredible! It fits the mating parts like it's poured on. I didn't like how the expelling gases got all over the front sight and all over the extended rail (both inside and out and you have to take it off to clean it well, so I had a friend at FNH send me a couple new gas adjustment levers and I added a tube to one and now the gases go down the middle hole of the extension. Works great and no more mess! :mrgreen:

Reactions: FLyon

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a couple of pictures of the tube I talked about that I machined to press fit in an OVER the existing hole and then tacked it on just in case pressure exceeded the press fit recessed areas retention. The original pressure release hole dia. has not changed, I'm just directing the gasses to go down the extension. Works great!!

Picture 011.jpg
Picture 022.jpg Picture 021.jpg Picture 017.jpg Picture 013.jpg

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some day I hope to get this page down as how to upload photos and keep them below the words and keep them in line!! Errr! ::FF::

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
View attachment 24523 View attachment 24524 View attachment 24525 View attachment 24526 View attachment 24527

I guessed at your desired order and probably still not right. From a desktop computer just use the space bar and return keys to line up the photos correctly how you want. You have to add each photo 1 at a time in the desired order. If you select them all at once then hit upload it will re-order the photos sometimes before posting.

From a cell phone or tablet same process just much more cumbersome IMO. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Help a Newb out, exactly which 3-18X44 did you like so much, my highly accurate Black 17s is due in soon and I'm just starting to scheme, I mean plan options. Your description sounds perfect to me as I want to have the long reach of 18X but can't completely sacrifice short range. I searched 3-18X44 and came up with a bunch of Leupolds and a Swarovski

Thx

1 - 20 of 63 Posts