FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a medical kit!

If you are concerned with personal safety, your equipment and training must encompass more than just weapons. Guns have a nasty habit of poking holes into people, causing must discomfort, and often result in the person “assuming room temperature” if not treated.

I feel that if you carry a gun, you should carry a first aid kit as well. I have a large medic kit in my car at all times. Not only am I worried about someone getting shot, but also someone being injuried in a car wreck. It goes with me to the range as well, right next to my bench. Ok, it is probably a bit of an overkill to carry 20 bandages, IVs, and such, but that is what I got. Don’t buy one of those cheap car first aid kits in the cute little plastic box. It is made to treat boo boos, not bang bangs.

I carry a compact medical kit in my pants pocket. Many people are selling these now, such as Tactical Response Gear and their VOK (ventilated operator kit). I like theirs because it is inexpensive and easily carried.

You also need to be trained on how to use them. While I am not a medical expert, I did stay at a Holiday Inn in Baghdad once. Medical training was something we always stressed. Everyone on our team had to know the basics. Likewise, your loved ones need to know it as well.

If you are worried about zombies and thus have a tactical vest packed and ready to go, make sure you have a first aid kit as well. Put it in a location that can be easily reached with either hands. Make sure your fellow zombie killers know where your kit is, and likewise where theirs are.

Lastly, remember that you must win the fight first, then worry about patches up the holes. If you get hit, you are responsible for your first aid until the situation allows your buddies to come to your aid.

Oh, and what is the number one accessory for your gun? That will be another thread... :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For a large car bag, maybe get with an EMT and see how they set up theirs. It is often cheaper to set up your own bag. If you know a doctor or a nurse, you may be able to get stuff for free.

My large aid bag probably is ovekill, but it was originally set up to gunshots, blasts, and burns. Besides the standard size “Israeli bandages” I have some larger chest bandages, burn bags and burn gel packs, splints, nasal airways, IV starter kits/IV bags, chest seals, needles for tension pneomothorax, and a ton of gauze and ace bandages. Because I spend a lot of time at the ranges and teaching, I keep my bag packed for the worse case situation. I keep it all in a medium size backpack , and have a few tourniquets on the outside, along with chem Lights. Lastly, gloves are a must these days...

As a minimum, carry an Israeli bandage in your pocket if you are carrying a weapon.

·
Registered
262 Posts
This had never occurred to me until a few years ago. A buddy of mine is a Dr at an urgent care center in NC. He suggested it and although I thought it was probably overkill, I have used it twice in two years. Unfortunately both times were at the range for the exact same issue - someone sighting in a new scope and getting popped in the eye by the recoil. One just needed some clean up, the other was a little more serious and ended up going in for stiches. Now I keep that kit in the back of my vehicle at all times. Great post Iraq Ninja

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more thing about cars. I always wear eye protection inside vehicles. Even in a car wreck, very small glass particles can be released if it is damaged. I had a pair of sunglasses blown off me once because I didn't have the darn strap tight. It still saved my eyes and I never forgot it.

Car wrecks can be seen as a "little explosion" in some ways. They are a real mess, be it caused by an IED in Iraq or a drunk driver in Texas. Thus, you have to be able to treat trauma ASAP. BTW the old school concept of ABC in first aid has changed a bit. People can bleed out while you are checking the airway. If they have massive injuries, treat the circulation problems first.

Oh, and things do go bad at ranges, especially if you leave your laser bore sighter in the barrel on accident....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Iraq Ninja said:
Oh, and things do go bad at ranges, especially if you leave your laser bore sighter in the barrel on accident....

The 1st best AND 2nd best accessory for your gun is…

The left side AND right side of your brain...

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I agree completely. My truck always has a Med Kit, BugOut bag, small tent, fire exstinguisher, jumper cables, and a blanket.

This is the medkit I bought and then changed up a little. It says it's for 50 people but I don't know how they arrived at that number. I just got it because it has almost everything I wanted. It has a good bag and lots of pockets inside. I have a a small kit in my BugOut bag so I would not consider trying to tote this kit into the woods, but if I roll up on a wreck, or we have an accident at the house or work, I have this kit to use.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MHR325-46723-1394.html

Great Assortment of first aid supplies. Excellent for large groups like churches, business, factories, etc. 233 items, Orange
Content:
1 Pen light
1 First aid book
5 Pair exam gloves
5 Abdominal pad 5" x 9"
30 Pain relievers
6 Safety pins
1 Emergency blanket 84" x 52"
1 Hand sanitizer 2oz.
1 Calamine lotion 6oz.
1 Hand soap
9 After bite wipes
1 Sam Splint/Universal splint
2 6" elastic bandage
10 4" X 4" Sterile sponges
3 1" Tape
1 Blood stopper kit
3 Eye pad
2 Triangular bandage 40" x 40" x 56"
32 1" x 3" bandage strip
10 Butterfly strip
10 2" x 4" Bandage strip
10 Knuckle bandage
3 Ice pack
1 EMT shears
2 SS Hemostats
1 Tweezers
2 Scalpel blades
3 Tongue depressor
1 Irrigation syringe
15 Antiseptic wipes
15 Iodine wipes
15 Clean wipes
15 Alcohol wipes
2 Ammonia inhalants
2 Multi Trauma dressing 12" x 30"
1 16oz Skin flushing solution & eye wash
5 Triple antibiotic
10 First aid/burn package
Bag has lots of interior compartments.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Great suggestion. I was looking at this one for the back of my Jeep. Other suggestions would be much appreciated too.

http://www.galls.com/google/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=TK021

What about the liability aspect though? I am not a first responder - just a by stander. Its a shame but how much should you worry about helping someone who might only be slightly injured and in need of first aid versus sayinig, "Are you breathing? Yes, then I will call EMS"?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My sugestion on a med kit is a cheaper way to go. First, go to an Army/Navy store (CHEAPERTHANDIRT.COM)and look for a Unit One, Unit 5, Unit 17, or a Molle Medical bag. Each are good bags that are designed by the services and will protect the gear at a cheaper cost. Then go to a store that sells medical gear and buy what you know how to use. There is no need to buy a kit with a Pharygo-treaceal-lumen(PTL) airway tube that you do not know how to use and are not trained or certified to do so. I belong to the K.I.S.S. group. Airway, Breathing, Circulation gear. Be carfull with the "good samaritan statutes" thing. I was trained to do A LOT of things as a Corpsman with the Marines, if I did those things at the seen of an civilian MVA accident I'd be sued and thrown in jail. If you want to be a "JOHNNY GAUGE" go to School. Remember that different states have different Laws on this issue. Think in lay person logic. Do no harm. If you are paying more than $25.00 you've payed to much for a basic kit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Devil,

Good points. Remember that the primary purpose of the first aid kit is for yourself and your loved ones. I carry airways, IVs, and even needles for a tension pnuemo thorax. But as you said, I have been trained on them.

Just like with a firearm you need training, with a med kit you need training.

Everyone needs to also remember that just like the police can't always be close by to help, the EMT may not be close by either. A lot can happen in 20 minutes. A lot can happen in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
262 Posts
devildoc said:
My sugestion on a med kit is a cheaper way to go. First, go to an Army/Navy store (CHEAPERTHANDIRT.COM)and look for a Unit One, Unit 5, Unit 17, or a Molle Medical bag. Each are good bags that are designed by the services and will protect the gear at a cheaper cost. Then go to a store that sells medical gear and buy what you know how to use. There is no need to buy a kit with a Pharygo-treaceal-lumen(PTL) airway tube that you do not know how to use and are not trained or certified to do so. I belong to the K.I.S.S. group. Airway, Breathing, Circulation gear. Be carfull with the "good samaritan statutes" thing. I was trained to do A LOT of things as a Corpsman with the Marines, if I did those things at the seen of an civilian MVA accident I'd be sued and thrown in jail. If you want to be a "JOHNNY GAUGE" go to School. Remember that different states have different Laws on this issue. Think in lay person logic. Do no harm. If you are paying more than $25.00 you've payed to much for a basic kit.
You must be in the field. I asked a buddy of mine for his thoughts (he is a Dr at an Urgent Care Facility) his two quotes to me were "Do no harm" and "If they are still breathing, call EMS". I am assuming the "Do no harm" quote is an industry term? Thanks for the input and good advice.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I would venture to say that the lay personel would have a hard time understanding the fine details of narrowing pulse preasures between a tention hemo/pneomothorax and paracardinal tampinod which can both occur in patients with DORF sign. If you go jabbing a 18G needle into that patient pleura or paracardia and you are licienced to do so so be it. Have fun, but when their family sues you don't forget I told you so.

For those that don't know what DORF sign is.. Its when a guy traveling 60 miles an hour hits a tree driving a Ford pickup truck and hit the strearing wheel, when you look at his chest it says D.O.R.F.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Sorry bout that I ment D.R.O.F. my spelling sucks.

I am assuming the "Do no harm" quote is an industry term? Thanks for the input and good advice.

In the medical circles we have lots of nifty sayings especilly in surgery:
"Nothing heals like cold hard steel"
"It can't be sick if it isn't there"
"when in doubt cut it out"
The only thing between me and my diagnosis is tissue"

Iraq Ninja: As you are trained in the use of this type of gear be carefull with I.V.'s as you know they have expiration dates and leaving them in the trunk will cause them to get hot.

CHEAP KIT

Pocket Mask W/one way valve
exam gloves 2 pair
Trauma shears.
Cravates (Triangular bandage) 101 uses.
Kerlex (as much as you can get in the medical bag)
Cloath tape 4" to 6" wide
Med and large Dressings - 2 to 3 each
Abdominal dressing - 1
Gal of water.
Space blanket or poncho.

Remember to keep calm because in the end "None of us is getting out of here alive cause the moment your born..... your terminal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife spent $30 bucks on a first aid kit that was filled with bandaids, asprin, and neosporin. Now it's packed with Kerlex and Ace wraps. I have a couple of sam splints as well, along with some tournequets, and some other stuff. Too bad I can't get IV's anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts