FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Independence Day is coming up. Do you shoot off your own fireworks, go to a professional fireworks display or both?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I used to be big on putting on my own display... mostly mortars. Last few years I stopped doing it because it's easy to spend a few hundred dollars that could be better spent, and it's illegal in IL anyway. The cops around my parts are pretty tolerant to it, but you'd still get prick neighbors calling on you.

Truth be told, the novelty kind of wore off and it's just not something that really interests me anymore.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I'll go watch one.

I have had zero interest in trying to set off my own. Every season, someone gets hurt doing that kind of stuff. Never been my interest to try. Plus, its always been illegal in the city limits anyway - but every year - some moron sets the stuff off across the street from me.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Most of the accidents are people being stupid or more likely, intoxicated. I did it for a good number of years and never got hurt worse than minor burns on the fingers... no worse than briefly touching a hot stove. I've been hurt far worse by just working on cars.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I typically do both, with a preference toward reloadable mortars and 500g multishots when I'm launching. Buy at wholesale prices and you'll save massive $$, buying at retail items are marked up at least 30% and usually closer to 50-80%.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I go over to my friend's house and let off a few shots with my Orion flare gun around midnight, that's it.

·
Banned
112 Posts
We used to go to the city's display but it got so crowded and carnival like. My brother's birthday is on the 2nd so we just combined the two and have our own celebration and finish it up with fireworks. He lives way out in the woods and fireworks aren't illegal so he puts on a pretty big show. Being a truck driver, he finds all kinds of really good deals on inexpensive fireworks all over the country and stocks up on them during his travels. This year should be a good one. :?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well I broke down, submitted myself to the gouging and paid retail for some multi-shots, mortars, mines and fountains. It's almost worth it just for the look you get when you tell the tent attendants "No thanks, I don't need punks. I use a blow torch."

·
Registered
735 Posts
I've always preferred a butane torch, too. My Zippos tend to blow around too much for my taste when lighting a wick, and I've never had good luck with punks.

Good luck with the display and stay safe.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Good luck all, i have to work :(

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Happy 4th everyone, and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!! I have had a great 4th! It's about 10:00pm and I have been drunk sense about 6:00 pm....This is one of my favorite Holidays, talk to ya all tomorrow. :? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Last night was fun, between the stuff I bought and neighbors around us launching stuff there was rarely a moment something wasn't exploding once it got dark.

Learned an important lesson on why few fire breathers sport facial hair...it's hard to get rid of the smell of burned facial hair when it's right beneath your nose. Trim of the beard and no worse for the lesson thankfully.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
lol sounds like good times to be had all around....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts