FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who haven't seen the website "The Best Nines", check it out. It ranks the best 9mm pistols that can be bought for $550 or less. The FNP-9 is currently ranked second, behind the CZ-75B. http://www.best9mm.com/

I ran across this website a couple of years ago, before I bought my FNP, and at that time the M&P, Glock and XD were ranked higher than the FNP. Looks like the website operator updates the rankings to keep it current. The XD is now 4th, the M&P is 7th and the Glock 19/17 is 10th. The website makes many of the points that FNP fans on this website make. Nice trigger, accurate, well made. Says that cops should love this gun.

I've been surprised that the FNP hasn't caught on more quickly in the marketplace. Maybe more rankings like this will change that.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
First time buyers almost always opt for the Block, I mean Glock, their reputation :roll: and the common use among L.E. make it very attractive for first time buyers, not to mention their cost. Did you know Glock recommends replacing the recoil spring EVERY 3000 rounds, so I've heard from GT, if you check out Glock Talk you'll see the members there telling new guys to purchase replacement parts. I want to post on GT if Glock is sooooo reliable, why the need to buy parts? That 1000 round torture test is a good example; the guide rod fell out of the pistol they used! It melted! It kept firing, fortunately something didn't go wrong and the gun didn't fail catastrophically. HK’s would definitely survive that kind of test, as well as Sig’s and perhaps FN’s as well. Until FN's replace Glocks as standard issue among L.E. its going to take awhile for FN to get up there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had a Glock 23, but traded it after I bought the FNP-40. I have to say that the one thing that I liked about the Glock was its reliability and durability. However, in the end that wasn't enough to make up for the bad trigger, uncomfortable grip, unnatural grip angle and snappy recoil.

So far, the FNP has been as reliable as the Glock and much more fun and comfortable to shoot. For me, it combines the reliability of the Glock, the ergonomics of the M&P and the safety of a Sig with an external hammer and DA/SA trigger. I'm much more comfortable carrying the FNP than the Glock or the M&P and prefer the trigger feel, weight and balance of the FNP over the Sig. Nice weapon.

·
Registered
95 Posts
ShipWreck said:
U should replace the recoil spring on most combat type semi autos at 3000-5000 rounds.
I have to agree with that. It keeps things from slamming. Keeps slide cycle speed in a normal range and promotes the general welfare with regard to proper feeding. All of my autos, Sig's, HK's, 1911's, Glock's, High Powers have all had regular spring changes. Go the Wolf Springs site and read the recommendations there it's not just a gimmick to sell more springs. As a result I rarely have anything go wrong. I would think any good gunsmith would bear this out.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Now the only question is, has anyone replaced their recoil spring on their FNP yet. If so, did you order it from the browning parts dept or from a 3rd party like wolf springs?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
At this point, I think only the factory sells the spring.

Wolf doesn't sell springs for everygun. I wish they'd make replacement P99 mag springs. But as they are Mecgar mags, I have gotten Beretta 92 mag springs to work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts