FN Herstal Firearms banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
So glowing, what is your favorite FN weapon that you own? Which one due you like to shoot the most? How long have you been an FN fan? What other manufacturers do you own/shoot? Did you sell any of them when you fell in love with FN? Do you reload. This is important since this is an FN forum and your choices and those of others on this forum could likely be dependent on the leftist agenda that you promote and think is going to be so great for America (as stated in one of your prior post) and the fallout of the debated presidential election.

Oh, wait- I just hit the "ignore" button.
If you’d been paying any attention you would know I own an FN 509t. None of it matters, however, as neither FN ownership nor firearms ownership in general is a requirement of this forum.

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts
Nice 509T. Just out of curiosity, you obviously have little experience with firearms based on previous conversations. I dare say that you have put less than 1k rounds through your 509T if that. So why the light and red dot?

Don't you feel that you would require at least hundred hours of firearms training prior to making a decision on a light and sighting system to augment your learned and practiced skills?

I get that it "tacticool" to have these on your firearm to show to others in your click but if your light and or sight fail, do you feel you have the training to sufficiently overcome these failed obstacles should you wind up in a self defense or even an offensive situation should you be inside your house?

I suspect that you have had some official training, but in less than 3 months are you really confident enough that these aren't more of a hindrance at the time.

I know you are not me (thank the Almighty) but it took me years and years to feel proficient enough to warrant the additional add on's.

Just curious as to how your thinking is on this.

·
Premium Member
7,025 Posts
I agree with HK, red dots are actually rather difficult to use correctly without considerable training and experience. Anyone who says otherwise knows absolutely nothing about pistol shooting. I assisted in the training of tactical LEO's for over a decade, even these guys had difficulty at first.

From what GP has stated in other threads the Streamlight was part of a promotion hence the FNH logo.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I agree with HK, red dots are actually rather difficult to use correctly without considerable training and experience. Anyone who says otherwise knows absolutely nothing about pistol shooting. I assisted in the training of tactical LEO's for over a decade, even these guys had difficulty at first.

From what GP has stated in other threads the Streamlight was part of a promotion hence the FNH logo.
I can confirm that the Streamlight pictured is exactly like the one I received from the FN promotion early in 2020.

·
Registered
951 Posts
i will say that going from iron sights to an optic (with backup iron sights) was hard at first.
the problem was quickly solved when i stopped "looking for the farking dot" and realized that if i just presented the firearm like i had been doing for decades, the dot would dutifully appear for me without fail.

to be fair,
if you can't shoot for schiff anyway, it might not be as difficult.

·
Premium Member
7,025 Posts
Precisely what LBC says, unless you have mastered point presentation that dot can be awful hard to find and misleading to boot. Now add stress to the mix. Shooting a static target at a range is far different than a fluid and dynamic shooting event.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Precisely what LBC says, unless you have mastered point presentation that dot can be awful hard to find and misleading to boot. Now add stress to the mix. Shooting a static target at a range is far different than a fluid and dynamic shooting event.
right, at least with iron sights, they are always in the same place and you can't miss em.

·
Registered
621 Posts
EXACTLY !!! After shooting for 53 years (started when I was 12) yes, I am old... And being on the US Army Pistol Team 1974 - 1977, and being a bullseye shooter. Some of my younger shooter friends tried to get me into modern shooting competitions, and said a Red Dot was the only way to go. It lasted 2 - 3 outings and that sucker was SOLD !!! This OLD DOG couldn't shoot worth a CRAP with it... After removing it, I can keep right up with them with IRON SIGHTS. The Red Dot was just too distracting, and what in the HECK do you do if the batteries DIE in the middle of a GUNFIGHT ???

·
Registered
951 Posts
EXACTLY !!! After shooting for 53 years (started when I was 12) yes, I am old... And being on the US Army Pistol Team 1974 - 1977, and being a bullseye shooter. Some of my younger shooter friends tried to get me into modern shooting competitions, and said a Red Dot was the only way to go. It lasted 2 - 3 outings and that sucker was SOLD !!! This OLD DOG couldn't shoot worth a CRAP with it... After removing it, I can keep right up with them with IRON SIGHTS. The Red Dot was just too distracting, and what in the HECK do you do if the batteries DIE in the middle of a GUNFIGHT ???
my rx slides (I only run sig p226/229) have tall back up sights.

·
Premium Member
7,025 Posts
In the defense of red dots, you are supposed to routinely replace the battery, usually once a year. However, they are electronic devices and can AND do fail for a variety of reasons. Then again Trijicon -all I have ever owned- has a very good reputation with the guys who use red dots for a living and to keep on living. If you have wonderful eyesight as I do a little help never hurts, but I also have been shooting since 12 (46yrs) so I am more than familiar with point and instinctive shooting. Even still there was a learning curve, red dots are NOT for the inexperienced shooter and can never replace the basics and fundamentals of pistolcraft. Suppressor height sights that co-witness with the RDS are essential...

·
Registered
951 Posts
I see you got'ya Legion there, very nice pistol. But I have zero faith in Sig's red dots...
because i cannot legally buy one here (new) i made my own p229 with g10 grips and x-ray3 sights (starting with an enhanced elite).
i don't keep the rx slides on either, but as my eyes get worse, i have used them at the range.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
219 Posts
Nice 509T. Just out of curiosity, you obviously have little experience with firearms based on previous conversations. I dare say that you have put less than 1k rounds through your 509T if that. So why the light and red dot?

Don't you feel that you would require at least hundred hours of firearms training prior to making a decision on a light and sighting system to augment your learned and practiced skills?

I get that it "tacticool" to have these on your firearm to show to others in your click but if your light and or sight fail, do you feel you have the training to sufficiently overcome these failed obstacles should you wind up in a self defense or even an offensive situation should you be inside your house?

I suspect that you have had some official training, but in less than 3 months are you really confident enough that these aren't more of a hindrance at the time.

I know you are not me (thank the Almighty) but it took me years and years to feel proficient enough to warrant the additional add on's.

Just curious as to how your thinking is on this.
I can answer the questions for her...because she is a fake. This is why she has not responded for three hours. From her posts, she can’t shut up, but you start asking good detective questions, then you get silence. She hardly had the gun, and she was asking technical questions about ammo accuracy...kind of like what people do who are trying to be accepted by a girlfriend or a group of friends, they research something they know nothing about and try to sound cool to impress the group. She has only posted a few gun questions and comments, just to get her scaled foot in the door. If you read her ammo question, the FN members were intuitively skeptical. Since then, it has been an incessant pool of divisive commie crap. She is a liar. Besides, she claims she is a guy and she described snow as pretty. Any FN man who describes snow as pretty should be banned on the spot.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts