FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
April 9, 2014 By Tom McHale

Words have more power than just about anything. Words can get us married. Words can get us thrown out of bars. Words (in the form of outrageous lies) can get people elected to political office.

In fact, words have the power to change a discussion to a completely different topic.

As an example, look what words have done to the pro-choice / pro-life discussion. If an extraterrestrial NSA analyst was listening in on that debate, they might assume that the argument was over whether women had the right to buy Flintstone vitamins since the language speaks more to “healthcare” than abortion issues.

We don’t have to look far to see what kind of impact words have had on the gun debate.

Using our advanced underground particle literacy accelerator laboratory, located in an underground complex in the foothills of South Dakota, I’ve completed an analysis of words and their impact on the gun debate.

I think the phrase “commonsense gun laws” might be the most dangerous of them all. Using the phrase “common sense” is like a preemptive nuclear strike. When you throw out a term like “common sense” in the war of words, you’re immediately claiming the high ground and establishing your position as a given. It’s up to the opposing party to knock you off.

Heck, you can preface the most ridiculous of arguments with “common sense” to win virtually any debate.
“We should consider common sense solutions to America’s weight problem by doing things like banning large Cokes.”
“We should think about common sense solutions to fairness in reporting by putting Piers Morgan in charge of the FCC.”

“We should pursue common sense solutions to population control by deporting everyone who likes turnips.”
Part of the reason “common sense” is so dangerous is that it sounds so disarming.
So how do you go about fighting common sense? How do you overcome being the bad guy resisting the warm and fuzzy argument that’s based on common sense?

I like to use a technique developed here in the southern United States. It’s called the “bless your heart” attack.
Contrary to the point of this article the phrase “bless your heart” has absolutely nothing to do with words. It has everything to do with demeanor, facial expression and a voice dripping with high fructose corn syrup.

Read more: The Common Sense Language of Gun Control

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I still insist that the best two phrases you can use to disarm the "common sense" feel good approach are the words "intellectual honesty" and intellectual integrity." i.e. "We want COMMON SENSE gun laws that will help keep out children safe." - "I understand what you are trying to say, but lets have some intellectual integrity. The people listening to you are incredibly intelligent but very busy, why are you being intellectually dishonest. The facts point to....."

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
“commonsense gun laws” = Second Amendment = You can have any firearm you chose. Any other definition is a Trojan Horse filled with unconstitutional anti gun laws from the anti gun crowd.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Let me say this, please.
The above pie chart is a bunch of bull-crap, though it may be accurate. Why?
The answer is easy. These people hate guns more than they love the people that are murdered.
How do I know?
Today, Twenty people were stabbed in PA - are Fienstien, Reed and Schumer busy in the halls of congress: busy writing anti-knife bans? Gonna stop importation? Gonna say black knifes are bad? Gonna limit how many knifes a citizen can buy in a given period of time? What about special sentencing for people that are guilty of knife crimes? What about Semi-auto knives (the worst)?
No these people just hate guns and gun owners - they do not care about the victims of knife crimes any more than the victims of gun crimes...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts