FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why the hell is it so damn hard to take off and put on the upper receiver/upper assembly of the weapon system now because of this..........!? I thought I had gotten a bad make of the model but, apparently it is supposed to be like this. Is there anything that anyone has done to make the ease of disassembly like lube, CLP, KY jelly ect LoL.........Joking on the KYjel too!

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
When I put mine on the first time, I could not get it off. In fact, my first post to this site was on that very issue. It loosens up with time/use. Mine comes off and goes on easily now.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Is it harder to remove than pulling the mag from the well? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
364 Posts
It will ease up over time. I let a bunch of Slip EWL soak into the contact points on the tri-rail and that helped a bit. Think about how it is mounted when you are taking it apart - if you want to ease the tension you need to push the upper receiver down toward the handguard and the handguard up toward the upper, in other words, push them *toward* each other while trying to remove the upper. It is counter-intuitive, physically, but it is easy to understand why that is the necessary method because of the design.

Don't worry, though, the difficulty will ease up after many times disassembling it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got mine last week and at first it didnt even allow the barrel assy to slide on, so i took off the trigger guard, slapped the rear of it up, and she slides on like a dream now. So id recommend taking the trigger guard completely off, sliding on the barrel, and then installing the trigger.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i just put on mine and didn't have trouble sliding barrel assy on and off wierd

Reactions: JIverson

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
What's Kentucky Jelly???

You guys down south have some strange things for sure.:eek:

I guess your not talking about Polaner All Fruit.

:lol:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol Sony........you better be joking about the KY Jelly LOL.....otherwise I'll have to sit you down and have that talk:lol: about the birds and the bees. lol

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
I have seen lots of birds in my time, and I used to have a couple of bee hives, so I don't need to talk about them.

Unless you want to learn something about them.:eek:

:-D

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I'm having a problem putting the gun back together (not necessarily an issue with the tri-rail). I've done it successfully about 2x before, but for some reason the last 1/2" is getting hung up now. Made the mistake of using too much force and broke the switch about 1 week ago. I have a replacement switch now, but can't get the upper and lower receiver to move that last 1/2". The system is so enclosed I can't really see what is hanging up. Even though I’ve taken it apart and put it back together a couple times it’s always an ordeal. Anyone else have this difficulty? I'm about ready to take it to an armorer...

·
Registered
364 Posts
So, I'm having a problem putting the gun back together (not necessarily an issue with the tri-rail). I've done it successfully about 2x before, but for some reason the last 1/2" is getting hung up now. Made the mistake of using too much force and broke the switch about 1 week ago. I have a replacement switch now, but can't get the upper and lower receiver to move that last 1/2". The system is so enclosed I can't really see what is hanging up. Even though I’ve taken it apart and put it back together a couple times it’s always an ordeal. Anyone else have this difficulty? I'm about ready to take it to an armorer...
That means you installed the switch wrong again :-D

The switch doesn't break from too much force - it breaks from incorrect reinstallation into the carrier group, and THEN too much force. Look at a picture of a properly installed switch, then look at yours, and then make yours look like the picture.

Don't worry - most of us have broken a switch that way. (But most of us didn't do it a second time, so pay attention this time...)

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Reactions: Young Guns

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, that picture thread helped. Had the switch captured on the first notch of the rear housing...Now I'm squared away...the gun's put back together...the switch is still intact...thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
just my .02, my wife had a similar issue when I first got my FS2K, might check the take-down switch, if it slides in a little you can't get the UR to go in all the way. just a thought...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Cheapest I found was $130 at a few smaller sellers, I forget who. But Midway has it as the same price, which is where I got mine. That leads me to believe it is possible to find them a bit cheaper, but since I was ordering other stuff I saved money by avoiding extra shipping anyhow.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts