FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know! I should have done my homework - I didn't realize when I bought my Five-seveN that I would not be able to buy the ammunition for which the gun is so highly rated :( Without it, the gun is, in my opinion, a very ordinary gun - not much more than a .22 magnum.

So, what is preventing me getting the "duty round?" Is it a law? Is it a policy of the manufacturer? What is the mechanism?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Check out eliteammunition.com they make some pretty wicked ammo for the FiveSeven. The UltraRaptor rounds are very powerful, 2600fps.

·
Administrator
12,074 Posts
Old Guy said:
Yeah, I know! I should have done my homework - I didn't realize when I bought my Five-seveN that I would not be able to buy the ammunition for which the gun is so highly rated :( Without it, the gun is, in my opinion, a very ordinary gun - not much more than a .22 magnum.

So, what is preventing me getting the "duty round?" Is it a law? Is it a policy of the manufacturer? What is the mechanism?
I will assume the 'duty round' is the SS190. The manufacturer does not sell the round to civilians. Police and military can purchase it with departmental letter head. It is not against the Federal law to posess this ammunition and as a result, it is available through various outlets but at a considerably higher price. State laws vary and know your laws.

There are aftermarket rounds available that exceed the manufactures products, however, not all products are available to civilians. There is a large array of cartridges available.

If you think the FiveseveN without the 'duty round' is only a .22 magnum, then you are right, you did not do your homework and you know little to nothing about this firearm.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I suppose selling bullets that have as only advantage the ability to penetrate body armour won't go well in the LE community and anti-gun groups. They already have enough problems with the current non-restricted ammo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All you guys are sure to get a kick out of this - The main purpose of my purchase of the Five-seveN was to have a little more manageable handgun to deal with the growing problem of black bears around my residence!

The hair, hide, fat, and muscle surrounding these guys is not far from body armor. Most of the hunters in the area use .44Mag or .50 cal handguns with long barrels. I have been depending on a .45 but thought the Five-seveN would penetrate the devil and the tumbling bullet of the Duty Round (SS190) would do sufficient damage to the innards.

This is why I was disappoinated to learn that the Duty Round was not available to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree. The round is way too small for bear. The .44 Mag or .50 AE is a much better choice. Perhaps a lever action Marlin for the bear?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'd go with a 10mm with Either buffalo bore or double tap ammo if I were you.... That's what I carry when I visit my brohter in NC and we hike the mountains...

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I think I'd get a 44 Mag Ruger Alaskan if I was worried about bears - at a minimum.

I'd also look at 45 Super - but the company that developed that kinda went belly up, if I remember correctly.

I had read that the USPs could handle 45 Super if done with some limits.

·
Banned
10 Posts
I've got a Ruger Alaskan in 454 casull -I don't live in beat country, but you never know when hunting what you might come across.

I think if you aren't going to have a big bore and have the stones to stand your ground and pump 12 or 17 or 20 - 5.7 rounds into a charging bear the FiveseveN would be a great bear gun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When it comes to bears, I would step back about a century, and pack my old single action .45 Colt before I would even think of a 5.7.

I love my 5.7, but it is not a good bear gun. Not that very many bears need shooting, anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts