FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may come as a surprise to many and certainly an unhappy fact for me. At 50, a Native Floridian who has roamed this State's back country continuously for over four decades and I have yet to see a Florida Panther in the wild. Currently there are LESS than 160 of these majestic and elusive cats in existence and they desperately need our help. Florida is "the land" of opportunistic and greedy developers who care only about money caring less than little about the impact new developments have on native, indigenous wildlife. Florida has enough wildlife problems ie: Wild Hogs, Burmese Pythons, Tegu Lizards etc etc. we cannot allow the encroachment on natural habitat to continue unchecked.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service along with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission need our help in stopping greedy developers. Besides, I think we have enough years ago built but still vacant "brand new" homes. We certainly DO NOT need anymore! There is a petition that only takes a few seconds to fill out and submit, I ask anyone here who cares about endangered wildlife and the extraordinarily sensitive ecosystem which Florida back country is to please sign it. We some times take for granted that which we don't fully understand, it's only when it's gone we seem to give a damn. I do give a damn about my State and know well it's current condition and the help it needs to survive. I thank you in advance for your help and continued support for Florida's Wildlife Future! THANK YOU!!! :?

The link: Ask USFWS and the Department of Interior To Give Panthers Room To Roam!

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
save this poor cat already...I think I might have seen one of these in a photo that Akitainu posted but I am not absolutely sure? If I remember correctly I think it was laying on a brown box that ammo shipped in from Midway?

·
Registered
421 Posts
^^^^^ now that's just wrong. :)

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
421 Posts
Done! Thanks for pointing this out SeaMac.

I have been forunate enough to see one of these in the wild. Great creatures. We also have a cat habitat about 45 minutes from us that I visit when I can. Have a bunch of fun haning out with the big cats and helping with feeeding of the cubs.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're one of the lucky ones then. I dated a Quebec'er for awhile, her first week here she saw one crossing the street in the fog, talk about a slap in my Native face. Needless to say it didn't last long... :biggrin: Seeing one in the wild, better yet riding a python like a boss right before biting its head off is high on my bucket list.

Done! Thanks for pointing this out SeaMac.

I have been forunate enough to see one of these in the wild. Great creatures. We also have a cat habitat about 45 minutes from us that I visit when I can. Have a bunch of fun haning out with the big cats and helping with feeeding of the cubs.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
C'mon guys, don't let the Florida Panther down! Most haven't a clue how important the Florida Everglades is to the meteorological and atmospheric conditions of North America. If you like spring and fall, and trust that they return each year, the Everglades is key to their timing and occurrence. Anything that disrupts the natural balance of the "sea of grass" effects us all. There is no other living, breathing eco-system on Earth like the Everglades, it and every indigenous creature within deserves our undying support. Take an airboat tour, or flats boat tour through "back country" then you'll know what I mean.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I prefer the indigenous animal population far greater then the multitudes of detritus that I am obliged to interact with on a daily basis. One conversationalist hunter accomplishes more for the environment then a 100,000 vegan PETA activists who want to protect every invasive species that are depleting our ecosystem, and endangering animals like the Florida Panther.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I couldn't have said it better myself and couldn't agree more. Since speaking with the FWC yesterday and today and my highly potential part-time position as an RSO at our upcoming range I've decided to take it a step further. Soon, I will become certified to teach the Florida Hunter Safety Course and hopefully start getting more involved in seminars to educate the mindless minions on the importance of saving and restoring the Everglades to its once pristine condition. We are very close to completing the infrastructure improvements. The Kissimmee River has been restored to its original meandering course. The Herbert Hoover Dike project which surrounds Lake Okeechobee is in-process of being repaired as we speak. The SFWMD has spent billions establishing natural filters so agricultural runoff is no longer destroying everything in its path as it heads towards its natural outflow. It's been a twenty-year project to get everything back to or as near as possible to "before man" and it IS working.

Now we need to focus on the fauna by getting rid of what doesn't belong not minding or paying the slightest attention to those that think they know anything about how the "sea of grass" works. Currently the python is our biggest threat but the less than 160 Florida Panther's takes precedence with regards to assets and resources. The FWC Biologists are well regarded experts in their field, they along with SFWMD scientists know what's best but they can only do so much. It is WE the residents of Florida that need to make our voices heard in Tallahassee, only we can force an agenda, only we can make a difference! An old high school coach once told me "you've got to want to do it, if you've got the right want, anything can be achieved". RIP Coach Shook. :?

I prefer the indigenous animal population far greater then the multitudes of detritus that I am obliged to interact with on a daily basis. One conversationalist hunter accomplishes more for the environment then a 100,000 vegan PETA activists who want to protect every invasive species that are depleting our ecosystem, and endangering animals like the Florida Panther.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They're so skittish and afraid of humans, you'd be lucky to EVER see one in the wild. If I'm ever so lucky, I will freeze and take as many mental snapshots as I can if I'm caught without a camera. I would consider the chance encounter a blessing not a threat. I don't know of any recorded instances where a Florida Panther attacked anyone, more so it is us who run them over with our vehicles. Last year 19 were hit and killed, which is a State record.

If you do see one in the wild and you think it's following you, run, he will get nervous and leave you alone. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,504 Posts
If you do see one in the wild and you think it's following you, run, he will get nervous and leave you alone. ;)
That doesn't even work with my house cats.

I signed it. I don't know if it matters that I'm not from FL. I like the big cats...from a distance, a long, long distance.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Scott, thank you very much. Yes, it is more for Floridians but the US FWS is also involved, every signature counts, every single one. You Sir, are a Gentleman!

That doesn't even work with my house cats.

I signed it. I don't know if it matters that I'm not from FL. I like the big cats...from a distance, a long, long distance.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Tal! Come on guys, you can do it, only a few seconds out of your life then you can go back to playing with your FN's. :?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts