FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay for one I know this is not a cheap gun by ANY MEANS. when I usually I think of 308 or 762 I think more of sniper rifles Than infantry. The Scar was on the top for a very long time to be the new ACR but of course H&K got the final IAR contract. this is going to be the first time in modern history that we don't make our own infantry weapons that is America.now THAT the MR 556 is some company needs to copy H&K's GPU and start marketing it lol that would be a smart company. Just change a little thing cuz the GPU market for a ours needs to be standardize. I have always been intrigued with the scar because it has the tappet piston. This is a much different piston then the straight back and forth. The m1 carbine was the first to use this and it was super reliable. I was just wondering from you owners even the SCAR L owners is it very reliable? Like worth the money definitely? There's a lot more questions I would like answered but the piston I would like to start at.thanks to any who respond.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Are you really from Indiana?...because even there English is not a second language.

To answer your question, I have never had a malfunction in almost 10K rounds with my first 17S.
It was that reason that led me to purchase two more that I have never fired.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
okay for one I know this is not a cheap gun by ANY MEANS. when I usually I think of 308 or 762 I think more of sniper rifles Than infantry. The Scar was on the top for a very long time to be the new ACR but of course H&K got the final IAR contract. this is going to be the first time in modern history that we don't make our own infantry weapons that is America.now THAT the MR 556 is some company needs to copy H&K's GPU and start marketing it lol that would be a smart company. Just change a little thing cuz the GPU market for a ours needs to be standardize. I have always been intrigued with the scar because it has the tappet piston. This is a much different piston then the straight back and forth. The m1 carbine was the first to use this and it was super reliable. I was just wondering from you owners even the SCAR L owners is it very reliable? Like worth the money definitely? There's a lot more questions I would like answered but the piston I would like to start at.thanks to any who respond.
Just say no to drugs

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Of course the SCAR 16 and 17 both are super reliable. I have never had a malfunction out of any of them. Of course so is the HK 556 and 762. I prefer the SCARs though by a long way. In fact, my own personal opinion is that the SCAR 16 and 17 are the finest rifles ever designed in their class.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Damn, I've never seen such a welcome to a new member, on the second post there's jumping to conclusions, criticizing grammar and computer skills?

I suppose I'll be the first, Welcome to the Forum sorry I can't answer your question/s, if you're patient someone will gladly and politely answer them.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Damn, I've never seen such a welcome to a new member, on the second post there's jumping to conclusions, criticizing grammar and computer skills?
Anyone who knows about tappet pistons, pistons sytems of an M1, and talks about GPU, wouldn't have the need to start a new nick with the name FN_Equals_Quality, and then ask a question about the reliability of the FN piston.

Some of us have been here for more than five months and aren't so wet behind the ears.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Welcome to the forum! If you are looking for an issue with reliability in the scar platform you are not likely to find many. Not even the plastic lower. They take a lickin' and keep on tickin. Search the forum and you'll be pleasantly surprised with how few problems there are mechanically with the scar. :?

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone who knows about tappet pistons, pistons sytems of an M1, and talks about GPU, wouldn't have the need to start a new nick with the name FN_Equals_Quality, and then ask a question about the reliability of the FN piston.

Some of us have been here for more than five months and aren't so wet behind the ears.

Wow guess back to falfiles or other FN forum with such disrespectful people , of course not all. I am using a voice to text program because my phone screen is about an inch jeez. It's pretty crappy sometimes as you see.
As for "Mr Military Man" here I'm asking because the M1 carbine tappet piston is much older and very reliable. I was wondering if the SCAR-H is as reliable and what changes were made to the GPU. Garand's brother designed it and it was super tough from day 1.
Green, your a big tough Green Beret oooooo scary man. The watchmen for original nics :x

Thanks to all who answered my questions I don't understand why people have to fight so much especially this group, and something so trivial like a stupid forum nickname lmao. I didn't even have one word of hate typed out :-/ We got enough enemies out there. Also I am very familiar with the FN FAL, also a SA version 18" and the Imbel. All models worked flawlessly for number of yrs I had each, that's why I think FN IS QUALITY!! And the Browning hi-power is my fav Pistol.

Happy, I typed this!!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Wow guess back to falfiles or other FN forum with such disrespectful people , of course not all. I am using a voice to text program because my phone screen is about an inch jeez. It's pretty crappy sometimes as you see.
As for "Mr Military Man" here I'm asking because the M1 carbine tappet piston is much older and very reliable. I was wondering if the SCAR-H is as reliable and what changes were made to the GPU. Garand's brother designed it and it was super tough from day 1.
Green, your a big tough Green Beret oooooo scary man. The watchmen for original nics :x

Thanks to all who answered my questions I don't understand why people have to fight so much especially this group, and something so trivial like a stupid forum nickname lmao. I didn't even have one word of hate typed out :-/ We got enough enemies out there. Also I am very familiar with the FN FAL, also a SA version 18" and the Imbel. All models worked flawlessly for number of yrs I had each, that's why I think FN IS QUALITY!! And the Browning hi-power is my fav Pistol.

Happy, I typed this!!!
Awesome. Glad you are happy with yourself.

·
Registered
232 Posts
As far as the IAR goes, H&K would have been disqualified for not having open-bolt capability in their entry. But they removed that requirement, as well as the one that would have required testing with extended/drum magazines.

Of course when they fielded the damn thing they found out that their PMAGs didn't work right. Something they already knew from the HK416 but no one bothered to fix it because it wasn't on the requirements list... leading to that talk of banning the Pmag a year a so ago and hastening the development of the Gen3. Personal opinion is that after the watering down of the requirements the contract went to HK because their version was the lightest. From what I can tell there's nothing really better about the M27 over the original M4s/M16s except that it doesn't cook off rounds, but then all of the competitors could do that.

If those budget hawks that tried to kill the SCAR program really had a brain to share between them they would have axed the M27 instead.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Reliable, they are. Expensive, they are. Tappet pistons they may be, you know more about that than me. They have the force, luke. Attitude, laugh it off. You will be happier with the FDE one though. Want you on my team, not.

·
Registered
604 Posts
this is going to be the first time in modern history that we don't make our own infantry weapons that is America
Wrong. The first batches of M9 pistols were made in Italy before production ramped up at Beretta's facility in MD. FNH has made the M249, a variation of their Minimi LMG, in the US since the mid-80s. FNH also won the contract to produce M16A2, A3, and A4. FNH also produces the M240B,G, and L models for DoD. The M240 is based off of FN's highly successful MAG 58 GPMG. Both FNH-USA and Beretta have major production facilities in the USA, putting several thousand Americans to work between the two of them. To a lesser extent HK, Glock, and Steyr also have production facilities here in the US as well. And to split hairs, it can be argued that the M1 rifle was a Canadian design, John Garand being a Canadian citizen.
...some company needs to copy H&K's GPU and start marketing it...
LWRCi's piston system is a gas cup and tappet assembly. It came out in 2005. Adams Arms' piston system is also a gas tappet. I'm not overly fond of HK's piston system; it adds about 1/4" to the HOB where LWRCi and Adams Arms' systems do not.
Are you really from Indiana?...because even there English is not a second language.
You've never been to Gary, IN have you GB?.

Reactions: Green Beret

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Wrong. The first batches of M9 pistols were made in Italy before production ramped up at Beretta's facility in MD. FNH has made the M249, a variation of their Minimi LMG, in the US since the mid-80s. FNH also won the contract to produce M16A2, A3, and A4. FNH also produces the M240B,G, and L models for DoD. The M240 is based off of FN's highly successful MAG 58 GPMG. Both FNH-USA and Beretta have major production facilities in the USA, putting several thousand Americans to work between the two of them. To a lesser extent HK, Glock, and Steyr also have production facilities here in the US as well. And to split hairs, it can be argued that the M1 rifle was a Canadian design, John Garand being a Canadian citizen.

LWRCi's piston system is a gas cup and tappet assembly. It came out in 2005. Adams Arms' piston system is also a gas tappet. I'm not overly fond of HK's piston system; it adds about 1/4" to the HOB where LWRCi and Adams Arms' systems do not.

You've never been to Gary, IN have you GB?.
Well...that just taught me a thing or two.

I have been to Chicago. I didn't try venturing out too late after sundown.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Well...that just taught me a thing or two.

I have been to Chicago. I didn't try venturing out too late after sundown.
Gary is to Chicago as Newark is to NYC.

And Columbia SC is only 3-4 hours from Bragg. FNH's production facilities are there, just off of Clemson Road. They love giving green suit'ers tours of the place, or at least they used to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts