FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from High Caliber show at GRB today. And Jeff Schramms had the only FNP45. So, I snatched it up. :shock:
Man, the thing really feels great in the hand. Here we go, including take downs, which is as simple as the Sig.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
VERY nice!

I bought my PS90 from him! I would have gotten my Buckmark from him in Feb 07 too, but he only had 1 (not the one I wanted).

Congrats!

Be sure to give us a range report.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed pictures. The fire control group design looks like a very similiar split-sear design, but appears much thicker in construction on the right polymer wall. That's good news.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was wondering if you have any familiarity with the GLOCK 21 for a comparison on the size of the grip.

I am almost certain that I will get the FNP-9, but if the .45 doesn't have a huge grip like the G21, then I might consider it instead. It doesn't really look like a fat grip, but with 13 and 14 round capacity magazines, I assume it is just about as big.

eta: I forgot--Very nice pistol and great pics.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Very Nice! Can't wait till I get my hands on one!
Please tell us how it shoots!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked mine up from the dealer yesterday and broke it down for cleaning to find that the small spring in the trigger assembly is already rusty adn that there was signifcant wear already evident on the center bar of the slide. I tried to take a picture to post but my camera was dead. Has anyone else seen anything like this? I am really kind of bummed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just picked up an FNP-45 at my local dealer today. It's the two-tone variety with stainless slide, just like the pics above (great pics, by the way!). The grip fits surprisingly well in my medium-sized hands for a 14-rounder. I like the ergos and the grip angle better than my Glock 21SF. The ambidextrous "safety" is really just a decocker, which doesn't bother me a bit as I'm a big SIG fan and don't believe in the need for an external safety so long as the first shot has a traditional DA trigger pull. The machining inside the slide is primo. The inside of the frame looks very much like a Glock.

The DA pull is very smooth and compares favorably with my SIG P226 Navy, although the FN pull stacks more than the SIG in the second half of the pull. The SA pull is very crisp and is similar also to the SIG, but the take-up is noticeably heavier, as if FN took a SIG trigger mechanism and put a heavier trigger return spring on it. The trigger reset is about the same as a standard P226 but of course is longer than the SRT on a SIG Elite. Field stripping is identical to a SIG. The magazines (3 included standard) are steel with a straight weld up the back of the mag.

I'm anxious to get it to the range. So far, I'm extremely impressed. I would sum it up by saying it's like FN took a Glock receiver, fixed the goofy grip angle and added interchangeable backstraps, exchanged the Glock's "safe-action" trigger for a DA/SA setup with ambidextrous decocker and slide release, then put a SIG slide on top. The barrel looks like a barrel; the proof will be in the shooting.

Oh, and did I mention how huge the gun case it is in? It's bigger than a SIG blue case and could be used for carry-on luggage if you hollowed it out! Wouldn't that drive the TSA crazy?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts