FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...So after trying to find the factory instructions for reversing the FNP magazine catch for a couple of days. I finally broke down and decided to deal with it myself.

It's pretty simple and was not to hard to figure out.

I wish I had a better digicam, that was up to taking macro pictures of the procedure, But I'm afraid I'll just have to describe it to you.

1.) Make sure the weapon is UNLOADED!

2.) Remove the Slide assembly as per the standard method for stripping the pistol for cleaning.

3.) Look down the mag well while working the Magazine Catch. the Magazine Catch internal bar will be obvious.

4.) A channel is molded into the inside front strap of the grip and runs just under the across the frame bar of the magazine catch inside the mag well. This is the Magazine Catch Spring removal channel.

5.) The magazine release is held in place by the spring that actuates the mag catch (The Magazine Catch spring looks like the letter N with a hook on both ends.) the N spring is silver and you will be able to see the top of it, sticking up just behind the magazine catch. the top hook of the N spring will be hooked over the top of the magazine catch bar. (What you probably will not be able to see, is that the bottom hook of the N spring is hooked over the bottom surface of the Magazine Catch bar in exactly the same fashion.)

6.) You will need a long, thin flat head screw driver and some sort of hook. A thick paper clip can be bent into a hook but a dental pick is what I used.

7.) Take the screwdriver and insert it up the mag well from the bottom of the frame (Were the mag goes in.), taking care not to scrape or touch the insides of the mag well, as this might mar the polymer. While visualizing the screwdrivers progress from the top of the mag well. The Magazine catch spring channel extends below the magazine catch bar about 5mm to 6mm and forms a square just below the magazine catch bar. This is where you want to gently press the flat head of the screw driver. The flat head of the screw driver will push the hook of the N spring off the bottom of the Magazine catch bar.

8.) While maintaining a gentle pressure on the screw driver to hold the bottom N spring hook off the magazine catch bar. Slide your hook or dental pick strait down the Magazine Spring Channel from the top of the Mag well and hook the top of the N Spring. if the bottom hook of the N Spring is properly depressed. A gentle upward pull will slide the N spring up the Magazine Catch Spring Channel and out the top of the Mag well. (Do not pull on the N spring hard enough to bend it! If it doesn't move with a gentle pull, then you do not have the bottom catch off and need to reposition the head of your screw driver.) (Also take care not to lose the N spring upon removal.)

9.) The Magazine catch bar may now be removed from the frame.

10.) Reverse the magazine catch. Making sure the line on the release button side points strait down the angle of the bottom of the trigger guard.

11.) Press the N spring into the top of the Magazine catch spring channel. Slide the N spring down the channel until it goes though the notch in the Magazine catch bar. Press the N spring downward until the bottom hook of the spring re-engages the bottom of the magazine catch bar. (you may need to use gentle pressure with the head of the screw driver to do this. Again gentle pressure and patients are the watch word here. (DO NOT BENT THE SPRING.) It will be obvious to you when the spring engages.

Thats all there is to it. You can now dump mags from the strong side like a H&K USP or Walther 99.

With the thick grip of the FNP pistols, I've found the strong side option to be the better method of magazine release. As it does not alter the shooting grip nearly so much as conventional thumb release.

Evo

·
Registered
203 Posts
More to add

I can get some pictures of this procedure as well as a step by step on removing and installing the mag safety on the Browning Pro series. Just have to give me a little time. Been working 60 hours a week plus trying to prep my shop for concrete. I've been busy and my body is feeling it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the info Evopsych. Your instructions were right on target. Switched mine over today before cleaning my FNP9. I took some pics of the procedure. If anybody wants a copy of them, just let me know and I will email them to you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is REALLY interesting stuff. Where did you get your combat background to come up with this?? Tres cool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pics for instructions.

Please forgive the low quality pics and dirty gun. I did this before cleaning it.

#1 Mag catch B.C. (before changing :-D )

#2 Placement of screwdriver blade

#3 Placement of dental pick

#4 Just pulled out of gun, before reversal

#5 Going back in reversed

#6 Placement of spring before sliding back down

#7 After spring is reseated

#8 Relationship of catch to trigger guard

You are now an official "Mag Catch Reversal Engineer"!! 8)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the writeup, I found it very helpful. The trigger finger is much easier for me to use without adjusting my grip vs. the thumb.

One thing, have you noticed the mag doesn't always go in quite as smoothly? If you're putting pressure in on the bottom of the mag away from you while inserting, it'll hang up hard enough to stop. If pulling it toward you while inserting it goes in nice and smoothly. In the right hand config, the mag goes in smoothly no matter what you do.

If you look closely at the top of the magazines, they aren't symmetrical, the left side (which is now what goes past the release) sticks out quite a bit farther which is to clear the little tab on the follower that engages the slide catch when empty. The magazine has the notch for the catch on both sides so they obviously intended for this to be possible, I'm just wondering why they didn't take a little material off the stop in that location so it would work better in this config instead of just making it the same as the other side.

I guess I'll just use it for a while and see if it's enough to bother me. Just thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great instructions!!

Just reversed the mag release on my 40. The whole process took 15 minutes from start to finish. You definitely need a long thin straight blade screwdriver or equivalent and it would help if you could put a slight bend in the either the blade or the neck of the screwdriver to assist in getting the bottom of the spring disengaged. You'll know immediately when you've accomplished this as it will be very easy to pull the "N" spring up using either a dental hook or paperclip with a "u" bend on one end.
Once you've done that, follow the instructions for reversing the catch so the cross hatched end of the catch is on the right, or strong side of the pistol. Use your index finger to push the N spring back into the channel and under the catch. Keeping your finger on the spring eliminates the chance of it flying out which happened to me; once.... and man does it fly! If a guy like me with sausage fingers can do it, anybody can! Just follow the instructions supplied by Evo. And BTW, thanks Evo!! :?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am an idiot...that's why I read this thred

Friggin awesome thred Evopsych!!!! Kudos to KLEBRUN...great followup w/ the pics (you must've had 2 more hands growing out of your butt to hold the tools, frame & camera!!)!!!

I am an idiot (just look at my avatar) & I sucessfully managed to reverse it...
...however I like JonA have a small issue when feeding the mag into the well. looking from the top of the magwell as if I'm holding in shooting position the left front corner of the mag just catches the bottom edge of the release. I have to kind of slam the mag in at an angle (pressing the top to my right hand) to make it not catch. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Possible solution:
Is this going to wear itself in, in time? Or would it be a good idea for me to take the release out & smooth out/file down that edge of the release (or even easier the left front corner of my mags) to allow for smooth feeding?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very Helpful

Thanks for the tip.

Once I found a screwdriver that fit it took two minutes to change it out.

:?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very Helpful

Thanks for the tip.

Once I found a screwdriver that fit it took two minutes to change it out.

:?

·
Registered
6 Posts
nice and easy

I found that just pushing up on the spring with the screwdriver will ease some of the hassle of trying to pull it out with a hook.

But definetely thanks for the info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good write up. It took me longer to find the spring in the carpet then to do the rest of the job. A screwdriver with a bent tip is a must have.

It only took me 5 minutes to return it to stock, after I tried inserting a mag. The release may be ambidextrous, but the magazine is not. I hope someone can find a solution that doesn't involve a file.

I couldn't show off my new toy to my friends with the mag hanging up every time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: I am an idiot...that's why I read this thred

...however I like JonA have a small issue when feeding the mag into the well. looking from the top of the magwell as if I'm holding in shooting position the left front corner of the mag just catches the bottom edge of the release. I have to kind of slam the mag in at an angle (pressing the top to my right hand) to make it not catch. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Possible solution:
Is this going to wear itself in, in time? Or would it be a good idea for me to take the release out & smooth out/file down that edge of the release (or even easier the left front corner of my mags) to allow for smooth feeding?
I should have updated this. Although not as smooth and I can make it hang up if I really try, I've never had any problem during actual use. I pretty much forgot about until I saw this post again. In other words, don't worry, be happy it hasn't been a problem at all for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the writeup and the pictures! I reversed mine about a month ago. I shoot left handed, and it is faster for me to change magazines with the release reversed. I tried dozens of pistols, and picked the FNP-9 because it is so easy to operate for me to use left handed.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Hmmmmm..........I'm a lefty and I find it easier to use my trigger finger to release the magazine on my FNP40. I thought about reversing the mag button but I guess I'm so used to releasing the mag with my trigger finger on my HK that its almost done reflexively now.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I guess I am the real dummy! I have an FNP-45 and I thought the mag release button WAS ambidexterous. Is that not true? Or is it different on the FNP-9 etc.? Or is even the ambi mag release favored to one side or the other? I am confused!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts