• Send it on Paper

Votes: 22 62.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so my dealer just got in my 2 new suppressor's and asked me a great question, "what do you want to do now, eForm or paper? Last eForm approval took 5 months and the last paper took 8 months. Should we wait another week to see IF eForm comes back online, or file on paper?"

I currently have 3 forms in eForm purgatory and am trying to decide if it is worth the wait for Form 4's to pop back up on the eForms website or just file on paper...I want to wait on the eForm, but what if it takes another 1, 2, or even 3 months to be back up? Then I am working against time...

I think I want to wait it out another week and see if eForm 4's come back...what would you do?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I have four items in the past couple weeks and waiting for eform but only cause I'm waiting on four others to come in. If/when all comes in and eform still not up I will go through longer bs wait. I have my sbr forms ready also but am waiting for eform. I'm very impatient idk how much more I can take

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
I have a saker and waiting on E-forms and I'm ready to buy an osprey when Eforms come back up. I'm going to give it two weeks if its not up I will go the paper route.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Flip a coin. I filled out an eform in dec and I'm already at four months. I would say by now people are probably going to have to wait six months for an eform too.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I say wait it out for a few weeks. If it come back up, then less time to wait then paper. If not then your still gonna be waiting a long time because you're filing paper! Just my 2 pennies..

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I just sent off 2 form 1's on 2 SBR's and have been waiting on E-form for 5 cans, if it's not up by next week i will paper file for those also!

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
eform, then my paper ones might get processed faster :mrgreen:

I feel like its a crap shoot right now :\\/: kind of sucks.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The wait times for both seem to be converging, the benefit of less wait time seems to be dissipating by the day, might as well send off the forms by paper and get a real stamp. Plus there's no guarantee that the eForm system continues to run and doesn't have another complete blowup like it did a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I just received my stamp back last week for my silencer on a trust that I sent in the end of September, so just barely under 7 months on a paper form.
I really really hope mine come back in that time. I was expecting 10-11 months for paper forms when I bough my suppressors.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I have never been one to wait.....heck, I even take the longer way in the car as long as traffic is moving....no sense in sitting still = accomplishes nothing-IMO.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have two suppressors sitting at my dealer waiting, based on this exact quandary.

Given that the current ATF wait times are an additional four months for paper vs. electronic, if e-forms are back online in the next 60 days it's still a better deal to wait.

But that said -- there might be an immediate glut of e-Forms submitted the day that they come back online, due to backlog, that will then cause the eForm processing delay to jump.

I wish I knew the right call here. I'm tempted to paper file at this point just to be able to forget about it... and because I'm (A) hopeful that the wait times will continue to come down based on the ATF's new hires and new priorities, and (B) that the ~9 month delay will still be before any new rule changes are implemented, thus avoiding any potential issues if open apps are not grandfathered (not expected, but still...)

Current times as of this posting, with Duration added

Submission TypeReceiving Approvals Submitted OnDuration
Electronic Form 4s:11/15/2013 through 11/25/20135 months, 16 days (167 days)
Paper TRUST Form 4s:7/22/2013 through 8/13/20139 months, 9 days (283 days)
Paper CORPORATE Form 4s:7/29/2013 through 8/12/20139 months, 2 days (276 days)
Paper INDIVIDUAL Form 4s:6/14/2013 through 6/14/201310 months, 17 days (321 days)
Electronic Form 3s:3/2/2014 through 4/11/20141 month, 29 days (60 days)

Source: ATF Wait Times

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have two suppressors sitting at my dealer waiting, based on this exact quandary.

Given that the current ATF wait times are an additional four months for paper vs. electronic, if e-forms are back online in the next 60 days it's still a better deal to wait.

But that said -- there might be an immediate glut of e-Forms submitted the day that they come back online, due to backlog, that will then cause the eForm processing delay to jump.

I wish I knew the right call here. I'm tempted to paper file at this point just to be able to forget about it... and because I'm (A) hopeful that the wait times will continue to come down based on the ATF's new hires and new priorities, and (B) that the ~9 month delay will still be before any new rule changes are implemented, thus avoiding any potential issues if open apps are not grandfathered (not expected, but still...)

Current times as of this posting, with Duration added

Submission TypeReceiving Approvals Submitted OnDuration
Electronic Form 4s:11/15/2013 through 11/25/20135 months, 16 days (167 days)
Paper TRUST Form 4s:7/22/2013 through 8/13/20139 months, 9 days (283 days)
Paper CORPORATE Form 4s:7/29/2013 through 8/12/20139 months, 2 days (276 days)
Paper INDIVIDUAL Form 4s:6/14/2013 through 6/14/201310 months, 17 days (321 days)
Electronic Form 3s:3/2/2014 through 4/11/20141 month, 29 days (60 days)

Source: ATF Wait Times

Just a couple of days ago silencershop was showing that they received approval on paper trust form 4s all the way up to October 16th, so the latest date that they post each day varies depending on the approvals that they received on that same day. Once again, if you follow nfatracker you will also see approvals for paper vs. eforms are quickly converging.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was on the fence also, waited about 3 weeks. Needless to say the paper is in the mail now, and with my luck eForms will put back up next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts