FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

There isn’t a single “right” type of holster. As long as you consider the three criteria for an effective concealed carry holster, there are many good options.

There are an infinite number of factors that have influence on which holster to use for concealed carry. I wrote a whole book about gun holsters and even that just begins to scratch the surface. The bottom line about gun holsters is that there is no cut and dried option for everyone. The right choice depends on each individuals lifestyle and specific needs. What’s perfect for one may be completely dysfunctional for another.

However, I believe there are three criteria that a concealed carry holster needs to meet:

1. A good holster helps you access your gun quickly, yet safely.
  2. A good holster protects the trigger.
  3. A good holster ensures that your gun remains under your control.

With that said, let’s take a look at some “wrong holster” topics.
The Un-Holster There are different definitions of “the wrong holster” and one of them is “no holster.” This simply refers to sticking a gun in your belt or pocket without use of holster.

I do not like this Sam I am. For two different, but often intertwined, reasons.
First, using a holster is a good way to make sure that you and your gun stay together. A good holster should have retention features – whether that’s achieved by friction, fit or positive retention devices. As they say, the first rule of gun fighting is to have a gun. If you rely on just the pressure of your pants or belt, you may find you don’t have a gun when you most need it!

Second, your gun trigger is completely unprotected when you are not using a proper holster. When carrying in your belt, you certainly don’t want your trigger exposed. The problem is even worse with holster-less pocket carry. Keys, change or that roll of breath mints just might get caught up in the trigger.

Read more: The Seven Deadly Sins Of Concealed Carry: Using the Wrong Holster

·
Registered
156 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who shell out a thousand dollars for a pistol and then try to carry it in the cheapest, off-the-shelf, generic holster they can find. All of my carry gear is custom-made leather for a reason. And lets not forget the belt. The very best custom holster will not functon to it's fullest potential if you try wearing it on a flimsy Walmart belt.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts