FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys i have been thinking what is the real deal is with the ss192... Since I cant find any company or anyway to use lead in a primmer... Mercury is the only heavy metal i have found that could be in a primmer. So i think thats bullshit lead free primer it makes no sense :!: I have asked guys that have been loading for 40+ years the gold or bronze colored primer is most likly a winchester primer no special lead deal.. :idea: Also since we do know that the charage is different and the powder is also..... I beleve almost 99.9% of the core of the ss192 is an alloy made up of mostly lead and that it has been changed compleaty to alumium only in the LF195........I am not one of these conspiracy theory ..... guys but i think we have all been taken for a P.C. ride on this deal.....I would like to cut up a few different runs of the ss192 to prove my point but that would be costly....some day i will collect a few samples from different batches.....and prove that FNH lied to us for sake of the media and GD gungrabbers.........more to come

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lead Azide has also been used as a priming compound and is still used in non-military blasting caps. Lead based explosives are some of the most reliable and have the longest shelf life of any. The reason? Lead doesn't oxidize, and therefore the compound doesn't change when exposed to oxygen at nearly the rate of aluminum styphnate priming compounds.

All of the powder charges I have weighed, and I have pulled nearly a hundred of both the 192 and 195 (to recover components) measure identically, at 6.5 grains (+- .1). I have never found a 192 to have 7 grains. Upon using a chronograpy to measure velocity, I have found only a 10fps velocity difference between the 192 and 195, probably due to the slightly reduced brisance of the aluminum priming compound.

Upon reloading a pulled 192 bullet into a virgin case with 7 grains of TrueBlue powder, I found an increase in velocity of more than 250 fps, and noticeably higher recoil...plus pierced primers and extremely hard extraction marks on the case. When comparing the velocity, recoil, and extraction of a factory 192 to a load of 7.0 grains, it is obvious that the factory never produced a 7 grain load in any of the loadings.

Anyway, all of my charge weights were checked, and then double checked on two Lyman/Ohaus M-5 scales, zero'd to eachother, and then zero'd to certified checkweights. I trust what my scales say.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thanks guys I stand corrected :?

I hate being wrong....... :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
abpt1 said:
I am not one of these conspiracy theory ..... guys but i think we have all been taken for a P.C. ride on this deal.....
I'm not a conspiracy theory fan, but there's something to be said... Since the lead styphnate/azide *do* last an extremely long time, and the aluminum styphnate ones do not... ...could this be viewed as 'planned obsolescense', so to speak?

"Go ahead, gun nuts, get your ammo... It will be no good in 10 years! Muahahahhaha!" -- Someone like Chaz Schumer...

...something to think about...

·
Registered
5 Posts
i hate the mans guts but i've been in his reloading shop and MO is truthful when he talks about the insides of rounds and how they shoot. we used to be friends and i still have a lot of his reloading tools i outta sell them...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts