FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody ever looked thru the us secret service sight yet? i heard it has all the features of the stock sight plus some sort of crosshair, all in an aluminum tube. it's supposed to give a middle ground when light is too dim for donuts and too bright for tea. :wink:

some say its worth 600+ dollars. others say nay. what have you say? :?:

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Welcome to the forum Max.

No first hand experience yet. I sure would not pay $600 big ones for one.
There are number of problems wit the current reflex. The other - not mentioned often is the fact that eye relief is abysmal and even if it had a bright dot or a donught - it would still suck. IMHO

-TH

·
Registered
268 Posts
It's not worth $600, and FN should have used the USG sight for the PS90 from the get-go. I am not sure if it even has a fiber optic collector, but I recall it being an all-black reticle so I'd say no, it doesn't have a fiber optic light collector but it should still have a tritium module.

If it were under $100, I'd consider buying one because I'm rather fond of the concept of a non-battery operated reflex sight. However, I am not fond of paying nearly half the cost of the PS90 for optics.

The rail for the PS90 is also too expensive right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i was thinking that id like my sight just the way they came. im sure with enough practice ill learn to deal with it. i think it would be a good idea if someone created an iron sight for the side mounts where people normally put their lasers and flashlights. what do you think?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Max said:
yeah, i was thinking that id like my sight just the way they came. im sure with enough practice ill learn to deal with it. i think it would be a good idea if someone created an iron sight for the side mounts where people normally put their lasers and flashlights. what do you think?
In test fired my PS90 again today. Sky was very cloudy. Sights worked great for me.. Still have my original problem of adjusting the sights.. Cant turn allen screw yet.. Will soake in WD-40 some more.
I like my little gun just fine so-far

·
Registered
268 Posts
The USSS seems to use the USG rail + Aimpoint red dot. If they use the black reticule MC-10-80, I haven't seen one in a photo yet.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
I have the black reticle sight and it is a much improvement over the stock ring sight. The black reticle is easier to see in daylight and the red tritium powered cross hair is great in total darkness.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The EOTech works much better: It can be clearly seen against a bright sunny sky in broad daylight or in a dark room even in fast transitions from outdoors/indoors or vice versa. The tritium powered reticle in my MC-10-80 is useless indoors unless your vision is corrected to 20/20 (or naturally 20/20 or better) and when the ambient light is low enough.

Can you post pics of the black reticle just for posterity? Make sure to focus your camera to "infinity" when peering through the aperture.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
I`ll try to take some pics with it set to "infinity", is that the mountain icon?
Last time I tried to take pics, it wouldn`t focus through the sight.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Here's what I did:

Take the sight outside with a distant object (farther than say, 5 feet) as your target. Set your camera to focus on the object (not the sight). It should automatically focus.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hoping I'm not rehashing info, but when looking thru ANY sight with tritium you have to give your eyes time to adjust... it's (the tritium lit retical) not going to be very obvious if you walk out of a well lit room and into the dark and then look at the sight. Try sitting in a dark room for 15 minutes or more (depending on your own eyes) then look thru that tritium optic... that will give you some realistic idea of it.

No one sight/optic is going to work for EVERYONE, we're all to different.

I've been using tritium sights for over 20 years, since the first ACOGS came out, my first one was serial #1510 (4x32) To ME, other opinions vary, the 4x32 ACOG is one of the best scopes period, for one with magnafication... I've have a tripower TX30, to me the tritium doesn't seem as bright, for NVG compatibility Trijicon says.

Note some people see better with one color or another retical, i.e. "amber" vs. "red" TRY THEM OUT FIRST BEFORE BUYING!!! for me the amber is slow to pick up. and tended to wash out more often.

In my opinion for the standard PS90 optics one should always use the sights with both eyes open, takes practice, but you'll get a much better field of view and a better sense of wtf if going on around you.

I've got a EoTech, while it's a very nice peice of glass it has these problems (FOR ME):
1, it uses batteries
2, there never seems to be "one" setting that works all the time, maybe it's just with buttons there I gotta mess with them...
3, it uses batteries

but that said, it does what it's designed for.... but humm why not add a tritium light source... for when batteries fail (not if but when)
humm while we're wishing one that is user adjustable for light output.... on crap over engineering it now...
not sure now the holograph would work with tritium...

again see above - "no one scope will fit all needs"

·
Registered
32 Posts
opps .... trijicon reflex scopes..... many deal with the washout factor on these too, again try different color retical, then come in amber or red.... also the only one I'd consider (and it maybe my next scope) is the version that has the added ability to be lit with a chemlight, it has a small compartment for a mini-chemlight this brightens up the retical
if I remember right it's the RX9 version
Trijicon.... how about tritium reticals for non-nvg use? ie nice and bright!

rant off

·
Registered
268 Posts
USMC Ronin: The military and the US Gov't doesn't feel the same way about battery powered devices. The Aimpoint, EOTech, NVGs, etc... all require batteries. Just carry extras lithium cells in the field. For those who shoot for sport, use NiMH and recharge them. AFAIK the USMC are fond of the ACOGs, but USN SEALs seem to use a variety of different optics, and most of the photos I've seen show them using EOTechs. This is just a case of different tools for different missions. In the case of the PS90, you're not likely to shoot past 200m, so a 4x ACOG is a bit overkill.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's exactly, why I invested about $200.

That gave me:

20x Rechargeable CR123A Lithium Cell
2x 4 Cell Charger

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Do you have a link to those batteries? Are they Li-Ion? I've never seen rechargeable Li-Ion AA cells.

I've been using rechargeable NiMH AA's and they generally last about 3-4 months w/o charging or use (they slowly lose their charge), which is why I have like 50 of these things. The EOTech is as-advertised in regards to current draw. This changes in different ambient temperatures, which is why soldiers don't get the 10,000+ hour battery life in the desert (due to the heat and vibration).

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Energizer makes them. They are silver. U can buy them at Wal-Mart. SUpposedly, U get 1100 hours w/ them in a AA Eotech.

I have the N Battery Eotech. I am satisfied w/ that. I would not use 200 hours in a year - plus the EOtech gives U a warning w/ a blinking reticle.

I plan to change the N battery out 1x a year. I also have 2 extra sets in my rifle case. So, I am not worried.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've never seen energizer rechargeable lithiums even at Wal-Mart. Are you talking about the e2 Lithiums or some of the other non-rechargeable lithiums? I have Energizer NiMH (green markings on silver label) AAs (2.3Ah). I have the EOTech 512 (AA) version, but I'm just curious about the rechargeable CR123s.

The blinking is a bit messed up because it was designed for Lithium/Alkaline cells. The NiMH batteries are 1.2V DC instead of 1.5V DC, so the computer thinks your NiMH cells are ready to die, when they actually have a lot more charge left at that voltage.

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've ordered from Crayton before and they have good NiMH batteries. I didn't realize you were in Switzerland!

I think one reason why I went with the EOTech 512 instead of the 511 was that the AAs have a much larger capacity (2300-2500 mAh instead of 700-900 mAh).

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have to be outside of the US, else, I would have to get rid of most of my neat toys ;-)

MP7A1 and RPG7 are just the peak of the examples :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts