FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the chance to examine/experiment w/my new PS90 vests from The Vest Guy. Construction is good/solid w/double stitching & reinforced edges. The biggest advantage to one of Robert's vests is that you can have it customized to *exactly* fit your specific needs/requirements.
I requested (and received) drain grommets on the pouches, internal zipped storage, shoulder D-rings, hydration tube loop, belt keepers, PS90 mag pouches which open both up & down and fastex closures instead of zippers/velcro. I was concerned that gear in the rightside shoulder pouches might interfere w/shouldering the PS90 but that turns out not to be the case.
Here's the experimental loadout as shown in the pics:
FN FiveseveN, knife, first aid kit, Garmin combo GPS/radio & 2 horizontal pistol mag pouches on the belt.
Underarm utility pouches hold 150rds of boxed 5.7 ammo (300rds total)
Mag cells hold 4 50rd PS90 mags
Compact binoculars in the leftside radio pouch
Large rightside shoulder pouch holds Schrade compass/minitool, water purifier, Gerber Recon LED light & small bottle of CLP.
Small rightside pouch on top of the large pouch holds 8 spare AA lithium batteries and 4 spare CR123 lithium batteries.
Internal zippered pouches contain maps & 4x2400 calorie Mainstay ration packs (sufficient for 5 active days, more if inactive)
Camelbak in the rear hydration pouch (which could be used for a poncho, clothing or storing other things instead)
GearSector shoulder sling on right shoulder D-ring.
Total weight as shown is 25 lbs and is very comfortable. W/PS90 w/dual mag setup total ammo loadout is 660rds (300 boxed, 300 in PS90 mags, 60 in pistol mags) and total weight is 34 lbs.
Due to the length of the PS90 mags use of the front portion of the belt directly under the mag cells is limited and if you order a vest of your own would probably find the bottom opening feature to be unneeded (top opening only should be just fine, IMHO). The very right-most mag cell is the most difficult to use quickly due to it being directly under the rightside shoulder pouches.
More later when I've had the chance to get it to the range but so far this vest is meeting or exceeding expectations. Now all I need is a PS90 dump pouch (hint, hint)! Thx again, Robert!...
Tomac

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TheVestGuy said:
Yeah thanks for the review

Post some Action Pics, when you can
Will do, what sort of Action Pics would you like?
Tomac

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ShipWreck said:
We want to see you climb some mountains, parachute and go hang gliding... C'mon... Get to it..... :p
Sorry, I don't do the easy stuff anymore... :wink:
Tomac

·
Registered
349 Posts
ShipWreck said:
We want to see you climb some mountains, parachute and go hang gliding... C'mon... Get to it..... :p
Thats what I am talking about, some Tom Cruise MIA thing LOL

naw, just somthing at the range or just pics of it in Use

THX
:lol:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TheVestGuy said:
ShipWreck said:

THX
No problem, already discussed it w/the wife who will take the photos. Do you want full tactical or just range wear?
Tomac

·
Registered
349 Posts
Tomac said:
TheVestGuy said:
ShipWreck said:

THX
No problem, already discussed it w/the wife who will take the photos. Do you want full tactical or just range wear?
Tomac
I would like some of each, if you could

THX
Robert

·
Vendor
5,623 Posts
Tomac,
Did you ever get to the range and get some action pics? The vest looks the balls and am waiting with baited breath to get your after range report.
I will definately get one if everything works out. :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
M1P90 said:
Tomac,
Did you ever get to the range and get some action pics? The vest looks the balls and am waiting with baited breath to get your after range report.
I will definately get one if everything works out. :D
Not yet, my wife works odd days/hours so we have to work at finding a time when we both can go. I may just go tomorrow by myself to try it out (initial tests at home indicate good flexibility) and have her take some pics here at home. Stay tuned!...
Tomac

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Made it out to the range today (sans wife, we'll take some pics later today hopefully) and gave the vest a workout loaded out as a BOV. Weight was well distributed w/no discomfort, I had no trouble running/jumping/crawling. I'm still experimenting w/the exact loadout & gear locations but it's getting much closer to it's final setup. I deliberately wore only a t-shirt so I would be able to feel any points, protrusions, snags, rubs, etc. I rolled/tumbled on hard ground several times in several directions and felt no discomfort or snags. Flopping down quickly to prone I could feel against my ribs the hard Mainstay ration packs I keep in the front internal zippered pouches but it spread the force of impact well so again, there was no discomfort. Since the PS90 mags are polymer and on the front of the vest I believe that a hard enough impact on a hard/edged surface could damage the mags (that's a comment on the mags, not the vest). With mag cells numbered 1-4 going from left to right across the chest I found them easiest to use in this order (YMMV): 3, 4, 2, 1. The right side large shoulder pouch does interfere just a bit w/shouldering the PS90 when stuffed but that's a very minor issue and should be easily overcome w/judicious selection of what to store in the pouch & training (I now keep my flattish Quik-Clot pack there which minimizes interference). Nothing loosened, ripped or came apart during my impromptu tests, I'm happy with the results. Since I have 2 of these vests I'll keep one configured as a BOV and the other for tactical/competition use (ie: no ration packs, boxed ammo, etc). If you want a vest for your PS90 and want it configured to suit your particular needs then by all means "thumbs-up" to The Vest Guy!
Tomac
ETA: Pics coming soon!

·
Vendor
5,623 Posts
Great report! abpt1 has a vest also and gave it great reviews. I will be ordering on shortly. Just got to figure out exactly how I want it configured.

Looking forward to some of your pics! :)

Happy Shooting!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
M1P90 said:
Great report! abpt1 has a vest also and gave it great reviews. I will be ordering on shortly. Just got to figure out exactly how I want it configured.
Looking forward to some of your pics! :)
Happy Shooting!
Thx! I suggest you put some careful thought into exactly what you want and where you want it, you can send items directly to him if you want to ensure proper fit (Robert went the extra mile & a lot of extra effort for me to re-do the side utility pouches so they'd fit boxed 5.7 ammo). Keep us posted as to what you order!
Tomac

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thank you all for the kind words and reviews

those of you want to order vests, I would prefer if you draw, sketch, photoshop somthing first, and email it to me, let me look it over, and then I can call you with specific's, it just works better for me that way

Here is my Size chart to look at

It really helps me get the Exact size you need if you either give me the measurements http://thevestguy.com/size.asp

or send me a pic of you, I can tell the proper size, by a good photo

and like was mentioned, if you have a certain peice of gear that you want a pocket made for, you can send it to me for an Exact fit on just about anything

Looking forward to working with you all

Have a great weekend

Robert

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pics!

My apologies for the less-than-perfect photos, if anything's not clear then please don't hesitate to ask questions and I'll see what I can do. Thx!...
Tomac
ETA: Don't mind the belt, it's just one I had handy and am using for loadout experimentation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts