FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been trying to decide what target 22 pistol I will buy next week at the gun show.... Been trying to decide between a Neos, S&W 22A, Ruger 22/45 w/ fixed sights or a Buckmark...

Last week, while leaving my range, I noticed that they had a Neos to rent. Since I am going to buy my target 22 next week at a gun show, I went back to the range today to try the Neos. It's towards the bottom of my list, as I am not that keen on the grip angle. But, I thought I would try it anyway.....

Well, they wouldn't rent me the Neos, as the screw holding the rear sight is missing - and it's barely on there and is basically unusable.

I asked what else they had - they did have a Browning Buckmark w/ the 5" barrel and black sights.

I shot it for 100 rounds and liked it a lot. By the time I was done, I had made up my mind... I think this is the one I will get.

However, I DO NOT want all black sights. I am hoping to find one w/ the fiber optic front sight for near the $200-$250 mark. If I can't - I might just buy the optional rail and put a red dot on it.

The other alternative is to try and paint the sights. I think I could tape off the front and do a good job on that. But the rear sight would be a pain in the butt to paint white and not have it look bad.

The Ruger 22/45 w/ fixed sights interested me because it is the ONLY target 22 I have seen with white dot sights. But, the downside is that w/ the fixed sights, U don't get the rail option for a scope. And, I really would rather now mess with the disassembly process on the Ruger...

Anyway, I'm getting a target 22 in order to try to get my wife to come more often, and it can also be used to train my son when he gets older. Plus, itw as kinda fun shooting the Buckmark today :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I highly recommend the Buckmark as well. It stays cleaner than the Ruger and you can switch barrels (the barrel is the serialized part for the Ruger). If you get the threaded Tactical Solutions barrel you can put a suppressor on (like the Gemtech Outback II) and you got a very nice "target" pistol. The suppressor makes it even less intimidating for new shooters because you don't need any hearing protection.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I got the one with the all black sights - there is actually a paint i saw at the last show for sights & was thinking about it, then i remembered i had but the scope on it. doh

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'd probably just use plain white model paint. I like white the best and it works the best at the indoor range I shoot at. But, I could in no way make it look like the factory did it. The rear sight is shapped in a way to make it very hard. Its hard enough to put the white in a standard sight with a small depression.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts