FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I've lurked here for a while.

Anyway, got a line on what seems to me to be a decently priced PS90 with 100 rounds through it. Green stock, standard sight (probably put an Aimpoint on it anyway). If I got it I'd SBR it. As "gun purchase day" approached it came down to a PS90 vs V53 (or MP5 clone).

All I'm worried about really is ammo cost and availability. The other ones I was considering use 5.56mm or 9mm (which I have). You guys have any problem getting 5.7mm and is it really "that bad" cost wise?

Any other pros/cons? Thanks.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
No, I have no problems getting ammo - I can buy it locally at a higher price, but I typically order online. Buying in bulk is the best price, but U can buy just a few boxes for $17-$18 per 50 is U shop around.

And, as has been discussed on AR15.com several times, it seems that ammo prices for ARs have climber. I don't own an AR, but I have seen examples of price comparisons in other messages, and there is not much difference.

I might be able to save $1 per box by buying elsewhere, but I have been super happy buying ammo and mags from CMMG. Their service is second to none. My order always gets shipped next business day, and I get it delivered 2-3 days later by UPS. I ordered another mag there Tue evening, and got delivered yesterday.

someone posted a site earlier this week with mgs $4 or $5 less. But when I was gonna place an order there, they charged several dollars more in shipping. Since the price difference came down to less than $1.50 or so, I stuck with CMMG.

as for pros and cons on the gun - it is a great gun. I do not regret buying it. Know that the stock sight sucks - and most people mount a rail and get an aftermarket site. And, U may wanna read the post about putting velcro or something else in the ejection port to keep rounds from denting the polymer as they are ejected.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Here's is mine with an Aimpoint 2X, It's great and I have no problem getting ammo.

TA

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
No problem getting ammo here in Indiana. I can get it any day of the week. SS195 or SS197..and even SS196 if I want it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a black TR about 6 weeks ago that is in the Form 1 process to SBR it. Only about 300 rounds through the gun but I like it a lot. Even with the long barrel, it is very small. And I love the git-down-on-it hand-in-hand grip.

My only disappointments are waiting: for the returned Form 1 as well as the release of the Aimpoint Micro. Oh, and finding somebody that can do a quality install of the internal laser.

Ammo doesn't seem to be a problem: availability in bulk on line is fine - already have 2k rounds socked away. Price, well, compared to mil-spec 5.56, its actually cheaper. And try to find mil-spec 5.56 while there's a war on.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The only con I can think of is the high price of the weapon and mags. Oh that and being labeled as the guy with the expensive, foreign, plastic, non-traditional, eclectic, wussy, "ambidickstress", space gun.
(I always get this kind of guff from the local gun crowd)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Optics

I'm new to the forum, I have a new PS90 and don't like the factory sights. I have picked up a new rail system but am not too sure what to put on it. I was looking at EOtech, and my friend say I should get something from trijicon?
Recomendations?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
It all comes down to personal taste. I love my eotech. It was also at the max end of what I could afford as an optic. Members here have Aimpoints, eotechs and trijicons, as well as other stuff. All of them are good.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
cougartracks said:
What Eotech do you have on your rig? I find it hard to aquire the target in the sight picture, in a timely manner.
I have the 511 - I have no problems with it - I love it in fact :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
ShipWreck said:
cougartracks said:
What Eotech do you have on your rig? I find it hard to aquire the target in the sight picture, in a timely manner.
I have the 511 - I have no problems with it - I love it in fact :)

same here. the only advantage some optics have is that they are always on. Nothing compares to the visibility and wide viewing angle of the Eotech though.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Re: Optics

cougartracks said:
Thanks the EOTECH looks great, I will have to visit Quantico Arms and see if I can try it on for size.
The Eotech is an excellent combat-proven optic but I found it sits a bit too high for me (even w/a dual mag setup) and the controls aren't as fast/easy to use as I'd like. I eventually went w/the new Aimpoint CompM4 which sits lower, can be left on 24/7 for 8yrs w/a single battery and has a faster/easier rotary control knob but is about 2x the price of the Eotech (ouch!). If you want something that sits as low as possible then the Trosusa.com custom mount for the Aimpoint M2/M3 series looks very good indeed.
Tomac
W/Eotech:

W/CompM4:

·
Registered
569 Posts
M1P90 said:
nice setup Tomac!! 8) 8) 8)
Thx! For what I paid for it, it had better be!... :shock:
Tomac

1 - 20 of 26 Posts