FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new the forums and I wanted to ask you all if you felt the PS90 would be a good weapon in an extreme situation (SHTF). Granted I know their are other weapons that might come to mind for most people (AK47, AR15, etc.) I was intrigued by this weapon because of it's reliability, capacity, ease of maintenance, low recoil, and light weight. I felt if I really had to get out of dodge it would be no sweat to have a couple of these to just get up and go! I have been doing research on the round itself and as far as a defensive round it seems to be pretty effective, although I wish we were aloud those SS190 rounds... :-? The only problem I found with it was the 5.7 round itself not being widely available. Everyone I know tells me to forget a gun like this and stick to something that is widely available(5.56, 7.62 etc.) Anyways I just wanted to give you all a shout out, and see if you can sway me into buying one. I really like it but is it practical for civilian defense, and my SHTF scenario?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Well I'll start this out, I love the hell out of my PS90. It's small, extremely ergonomic, it points well and is well balanced, has low recoil, wicked accurate (shot far enough for my eye sight ability), has a 50 round mag, it's easy and simple to break down and reassemble, and it's fairly light.

Now on your issue of the 5.7x28mm round and its effectiveness? Thats had to say(Not many people have been shot with then YET) My personal opinion is that it's like having a 9mm shoulder fired weapon that carries 50 rounds and has less recoil.

Would I buy it again....... HELL YES.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
JediMindTricks said:
The only problem I found with it was the 5.7 round itself not being widely available.
Just remember that when SHTF, the ammo you have on hand is probably going to be the ONLY ammo you will have.
Don't base your needs on what you may be able to aquire during SHTF.

·
Banned
328 Posts
At the risk of riling up the shtf afficionados I make the following assertion:

The best gun in a "get out of dodge" situation is no gun at all or a concealed gun you never use or display(pistol). Being seen carrying a weapon will only attract the attention of other armed persons or authority figures (if there are any). These people are likely to perceive you as a threat or an opportunity to take your stuff and may engage you which lowers your chance of survival.

My point: Buy guns because you enjoy shooting them, for hunting or for investment. Don't waste time fretting about which model or which cartridge will allow you to mow a clear path to safety. That said, I can recommend the PS90 for general shooting and varmint hunting. I have both the 90 and an AK and I definitely prefer the FN now. Cost of the weapon itself is the only downside.

·
Registered
15 Posts
At the risk of riling up the shtf afficionados I make the following assertion:

The best gun in a "get out of dodge" situation is no gun at all or a concealed gun you never use or display(pistol). Being seen carrying a weapon will only attract the attention of other armed persons or authority figures (if there are any). These people are likely to perceive you as a threat or an opportunity to take your stuff and may engage you which lowers your chance of survival.
I found
in another forum where probable scenarios was the topic of the thread.
Here's the thread if you're interested. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1389

IMHO, I fear Katrina was an example of what we can expect in the future. Apart from one persons lack of good judgment, I think the vid is a sad and troubling commentary on what some have had to endure.
What sux most about the reality of any SHTF situation is they will likely take your weapons and leave you at the mercy of the Sh*t and the Fan.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Let's see... the PS90 is light, short, easily fired from prone or w/one hand, is fully ambidextrous, has no muzzle flash, mild muzzle blast, neglible recoil, is easy to strip/clean/maintain, shoots flat out to appx 200m, has a 50rd mag and the ammo weighs half as much as 9mm or .223 so you can carry twice as much for a given weight. As a survival firearm/cartridge combo it's an excellent choice IMHO, especially since the order of the day will be E&E, not "engage on sight".
Tomac

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
I watched the video in the other thread about the Police siezing personal firearms from people:

I realized this was a problem, but I didn't realize just how extensive it was. What the heck is wrong with these police? Didn't they realize the extent of their actions? Is this a group of Police that normally do not have that kind of power...and suddenly thrust upon the situation get out of control?

Suddenly able to patrol with M4s and such feeling all full of "protect and serve" in a dire situation.....letting it go to their head and causing poor judgement?

I digress. My real intention for posting the above was to ask this.....

I recall reading a story somewhere...perhaps you guys know the source. I wanted to put the story with my records of such things.

The story was about a guy that was loading up his 4x4 truck with things for he and his wife to leave the Katrina area. His wife was packing the valuables and he was carrying them down to the truck....lokcing the truck each time while he went for another trip. I recall the article saying that most people had gone and he thought that he and his wife had "stayed too long" in the area.

Anyhow, at some point he slung his AK-47 over his back during a trip to the car with a laundry basket in his arms. When he arrived at the 4x4 he noticed 4 guys looking in the windows with dishonest intentions. He startled them when he arrived and the situation was tense.

I forget the details...but basically when he put the basked down and showed them that he "was prepared for all contingencies including a 4 on 1 fight"...they left without incident.

Do you guys recall that story and where it happened?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
No thinking- purchase, and you will enjoy!!! :shock:
"These are not the droids you are looking for" (Obi Wan). :D

Tony

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
No ick, I don't think I saw that one, but I woould like too. I remember cops helping to loot a store and going door to door taking guns from law abiding citizens just trying to protect themselves...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Ick, I think the story you are talking about ran in "the rifleman" magazine. I read that story also. I like the signs that one businesss owner had on his boarded up shop:

Day 5

food running out
Mean wife, big dog, and loaded shotgun

Day 10

food gone
wife left
ate dog

·
Registered
8 Posts
ick

Yes that story is a true one.

The fellow you are referring to is one of the curators of the National
WW II museum in New Orleans.

Hope this helps

Oh and the favorite of sign makers around our area were making during the insurrection:

"You loot We shoot" Our local constabulary had no problem with this
what-so-ever.

Art

·
Registered
569 Posts
I read Ick's story in the Americal Rifleman. Yep, it was Katrina and the guy came downstairs w/an armload of stuff and noticed several (4-6?) shady characters examining his 4x4, trying to read the gas gauge. They advanced aggressively until he unlimbered the AK on his back at which point they left for safer climes.
Tomac
PS- The PS90 is also very easy to cache if needbe... ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts