FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a weekly basis I volunteer at my local gun shop and the smith and I were talking about guns (imagine that) and he is trying to turn me off of H&K and trying to get me into 1911s. He stated that H&K's will generally shoot low and to the left which just so happens to me sometimes :oops: ......Anyway he was really trying to get me to look into a Taurus 1911. Anyone own/ed one. Opinions or thoughts. I always thought for a 1911 to go with kimber or colt or just go home...Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Hey iCeMaN, old John Browning got it right when he designed the 1911. In a handgun, I beleave, a single action trigger is the best. Now as far as the Taurus 1911's go, I'd say stay away. The outsides look good, but the insides are ruff cut. My recomendation is a Colt (of course), Springfields, and Kimber; Now if you are made of money look at Les Baer, Ed Browns, and Wilson Combat 1911's. Also I'd say that I'd stay way from polymer framed 1911's, stick with all metal frames.

In the end, You can't go wrong with a 1911. :?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I would NOT buy a Taurus anything. Sorry. KImber is okay - but their % of problem guns seem to be higher than other brands.

I've owned 1 Kimber - an aluminum framed model. Aluminum framed 1911s must use mags with polymer followers - otherwise, they gouge the inside of the grip - and over time, the gouge gets pretty big. I did not find this out until 2 weeks after I bought a $1000 Kimber. After just 200-250 rounds, I was already getting this, and the wear on the aluminum feed ramp was already getting to be pretty bad.

I tried other brands of mags, but the gun would ONLY work 100% with the factory mags (which damaged the gun). I had to get rid of it - as I didn't want a gun that litterally "wore" away right before my very eyes. After that - no aluminum framed 1911s for me...

Also, I have a shooting friend who has owned 3 different KImbers - NONE would feed hollow points....

I'd personally look at Springfield (I've owned 4 over the years), Colt, Sig or Smith and Wesson if I were you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Love my rock island 1911.

One thing that always bothered me about the 1911 is that I'd read in the gun rags about "we ordered a new Colt 1911, then sent it to this smith to fix one thing, and this other smith to fix another thing, and 6 months and $1500 later we have a good 1911".

My Rock Island "Just Works".

Another option to think about for a 45 platform is the EAA Witness. Clone of the CZ97b, cheap ($400), and you can get conversion kits to go to 9mm, 38 super, 10mm, 40s&w, or 22lr.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
U can get lemons of any brand. I've never been a big RIA fan, as I've read many posts in the past of guns made so out of spec that no other parts will fit in the gun, and the gun won't work. Is that a high percentage of that brand? I have no idea. But for me, a Mil Spec Springer is the cheapest 1911 I'd buy.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Also, I have a shooting friend who has owned 3 different KImbers - NONE would feed hollow points....
That's wierd Ship - all 4 of my Kimbers have thrown many hollow points down range...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Madhouse said:
[
That's wierd Ship - all 4 of my Kimbers have thrown many hollow points down range...
Same with my Kimber. It doesn't feed reliably with American Eagle FMJ, but no problems with anything else.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Sometime if you have "weak wrist syndrome" you get feed jams with 1911's. Hehehe

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
SIG Revolution GSR. I lub it!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have an old rollmark Colt 1991-A1 that is beefed up to shoot .45 Super which has not failed me. But I think the FNP-45 with the combo frame saftey and decocker makes the venerable 1911 look awfully long in the tooth with its heavy weight and 7/8 round capacity.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow...i guess i don't want to spend anymore than 3k....im still adding to my H&K collection as you all know. At my local gun shop, there is a colt gold cup series (I think) for 1k and they also have a defender for 650 i think which looks like a sweet ccdw

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I picked up a stainless gold cup in fantastic shape a few years back. Gun was like new for $500. It was constructed well and shot decent but not as accurate as my S&W 745. Anyhow I cant leave a gun stock anyway. I replaced the barrel had accu-rails installed in the frame/slide, Briley spherical bushing and an ambi safety. The gun operates flawlessly and is quite accurate, one of my favorite guns.

1911's are great for tinkerers like me. I enjoy fixing whats not broken :lol:

drew

·
Registered
99 Posts
Taurus is good and bad. I hear many bad things about them, then they gotten better so hear less about them having issues.

A lot of folks on another forum selling their Kimbers off. Both good and bad from them there.

Colt was bad a while ago, now gotten back in the saddle again as it were with QC.

Springfield, GI great started gun I hear many a custom smith uses that for a base gun. Loaded and TRP cheaper than Kimbers but offer the same things.

S&W dont hear much about them, so cant say. We know they make a solid revolver. So I dont see much a dff with their 1911 platform.

para-ordance makes a good double stack, so it brings that inline with the wonder nines and their big mags.

1911 has come a long way and still going along further. Like with any gun get what you like and what your wanting to do. However if you go the bucks and time, get a Colt Gold cup.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmm.....have a hard time making my mind up!!! Grrr...Im gonna scheme about it for a bit and in the mean while get a H&K 45 :)

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WOW nice 1911!! :? Heck i may just walk out of the gun shop with both :)

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
iCeMaN said:
Hmmm.....have a hard time making my mind up!!! Grrr...Im gonna scheme about it for a bit and in the mean while get a H&K 45 :)
I wanted one of those - but ended up getting an XD45 earlier this year (after renting a USP 45, M&P45 and an XD45).

I've owned numerous 1911s over the years, and as soon as I got my new Springfield MC Operator 1911 (pictured above) - I realized I wasted my money on that XD45.

I love polymer 9mms, but when it comes to a 45 - nothing can beat the feel of a 1911.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts