FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking about reloading, I have been in law enforcement for over 20 years so I have been around guns and ammo for awhile. I used to have a friend that reloaded but he got divorced and moved out of state. So now I am thinking of learning the hobby, but I dont know nothing about it and I have been on overload trying to read about it here. I think I want a progressive like a dillon, but I dont even know if thats going in the right direction? What will it cost to get a good set up and dies to do 9,40,45,223 and may be 5.7x28? Is there a good step by step guide as to setting it up and doing everything correctly? HELP A NOOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where are some good online sites to buy a set up from and then some places for supplies?

What things exactly do I need to start loading ammo properly?

·
Administrator
11,932 Posts
Kind of what I have. I bought it piece by piece though. This system will not reload 5.7X28 unless you buy the extra equipment from Hornady. I would not re-load the 5.7 on ANY progressive until I had some experience using a single stage press.

It is a great system for the other cartridges that you are looking at though. I really like mine. But as with any system you get, you are going to have to buy specific parts for each round that you want to load. You will also have to get different case feeder plates for the case feeder as well.

You might want to check with these people: Presses

They have good prices (some hard to beat) but you have to order alot to overcome the handling. I purchased most of my Hornady stuff from them and in the long run, it was the cheapest that I could find on the net at the time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Blue Juice drinker here (Dillon all the way), Dillon used to have some awesome 'how to' videos which not only covered Dillon press setup and use, but basic reloading as well. I did a quick search of their site but didn't see it - who knows they might be free on youtube by now, surf around or drop Dillon a line.

Don't over look the NRA, they have some reloading instruction courses which are excellent.

straight wall pistol reloading is a lot more forgiving than bottle necked cartridges, so thats the place to start. Might help if you post your location, maybe someone is close by that would be able to mentor you?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts