FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I currently have a 17S with only about 80 rounds through it and I'm thinking of getting rid of it to get some rifles in the 5.56 platform for the wife and I. The 17S is the only rifle I currently own. I used to have a Daniel Defense M4A1 a few years back but sold it before I got my 17S. The reasoning for me is I don't really need a .308 battle rifle as a civilian, it's too powerful for HD, ammo cost, must dump more money into the 17S IOT get the most out of the cartridge (only running BUIS right now) and it would be extremely expensive to run at a carbine course which I would like to take in the future. I'm also possibly considering a 16S however because of the cost of them there wouldn't be much left over for another rifle for the wife and she'd be very upset with me lol. What are your guys thoughts on my situation? Thanks for any input

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Sounds like you have it pretty well figured. If you can't afford it and your not getting much use out of it then it's probably best to get rid of it. The 16 would be right up your alley but if you want two of them it's going to cost you as you have already realized. You could get a couple of really solid AR-15s for what it cost for one Scar 16.

·
Premium Member
9,029 Posts
+1 What Kam says! But I do like my 16s too! :?

Sounds like you have it pretty well figured. If you can't afford it and your not getting much use out of it then it's probably best to get rid of it. The 16 would be right up your alley but if you want two of them it's going to cost you as you have already realized. You could get a couple of really solid AR-15s for what it cost for one Scar 16.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
If the wife wants to play and you can't afford to buy one for her own, then yeah, better sell the 17S and buy two cheaper ARs. They better be real cheap because you're going to take a big hit on that 17S.

·
Registered
412 Posts
There are SSRI's that can help with that. Sell your 17s? It's not even my rifle and that hurts! Lol. I knew a kid that had torn his bicep/tricep, and shoulder horribly in a parachutist accident. Almost torn his arm off. He cannot comfortable shoot anything greater then 5.56. He sold his 17s, and LMT MWS. I felt so bad for him. I dunno. Good luck. And if it you can enjoy more rifles with your wife. I think that's a winning idea! And

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input guys, as far as taking a big hit on the 17S I aquired mine in a very unique situation and anything I sold it for would be all profit however I really don't want to get rid of her. Maybe we will just save up and get her an AR as she doesn't like some of the characteristics of the SCAR and I'll just get myself a 16S then later on maybe I'll pull the trigger on some good glass and have a use for the 7.62.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hey guys, I currently have a 17S with only about 80 rounds through it and I'm thinking of getting rid of it to get some rifles in the 5.56 platform for the wife and I. The 17S is the only rifle I currently own. I used to have a Daniel Defense M4A1 a few years back but sold it before I got my 17S. The reasoning for me is I don't really need a .308 battle rifle as a civilian, it's too powerful for HD, ammo cost, must dump more money into the 17S IOT get the most out of the cartridge (only running BUIS right now) and it would be extremely expensive to run at a carbine course which I would like to take in the future. I'm also possibly considering a 16S however because of the cost of them there wouldn't be much left over for another rifle for the wife and she'd be very upset with me lol. What are your guys thoughts on my situation? Thanks for any input
A good pistol and holster is the first thing needed for home defense because it allows you the maximum freedom to use your hands to do things like scoop up kids to safety, lock and barricade doors and call 911.

A 12 or 20 gauge shotguns should be the main heavy home defense weapon because even heavy shot is not likely to exit your home and kill your neighbors or other innocents outside. A 12 gauge at point blank delivers about the same energy as a 30-06.

As far as rifles go, you just can't beat an AR in the USA in terms of everything you can do for the least money spent.

The deal breaker for me that caused me to want and eventually buy a Scar-17 is that I wanted one single rifle that can do everything an AR can do, reliably, and with the least amount of extra weight PLUS the ability to hunt deer ethically. If taking large game with poor shot placement were not an issue, I would have remained happy with the AR platform. If you don't need the capacity to also hunt medium to large sized game like deer or hogs, then I would agree that the higher cost of .308 is not easy to justify. If you want to shoot long range competitions, then a bolt gun will always win. But if you just want to shoot for fun, the Scar 17 is hard to beat for semi-auto accuracy and will equal or best any of the other semi rifles that cost less than $3k.

Now just because I "could" do everything with my Scar 17 that I can do with an AR, doesn't mean I actually would.

By this I mean would I run my Scar 17 hard with back to back mag dumps or run it at any of the many hard running tactical rifle training courses around the country? Heck No! It costs too much for the ammo and it costs to much in terms of risking damage to my 17's thin barrel from overheating it. I would run an AR (or AK-47) like most everyone else you will see teaching or taking those kinds of training courses. 5.56 is roughly half the power of .308 and 1/3 the projectile weight. A .308 barrel is going to heat up faster because of that fact alone and the .308 rifle is going to have more stress on it. So if I were going to do that kind of shooting and could only own one rifle, it would be an AR. A new decent grade AR is going to cost less than just a replacement barrel for your Scar 17.

So it really comes down to what you want to do with a rifle as to what the best rifle is going to be for you. My Scar 17 is more of a contingency rifle for me, if I can have only one rifle, my Scar 17 is that rifle. But my AR's are still what I take to shoot those rare times I get the opportunity to shoot rapid fire.

The right answer for you is going to be what best suits your needs. If you determine that isn't going to be your Scar 17, at least not at this time, then I would go to my local gun shops and pawn shops that carry a lot of used guns and I would try to swap my Scar for as many other used rifles, shotguns and pistols that I liked as I could. The reason is I think I would stand a better chance of walking out with more value than if I sold my Scar and tried to buy those same guns. The worst thing that could happen is they would not make the pot sweet enough for me and I would walk out with my Scar.

·
Registered
393 Posts
A good pistol and holster is the first thing needed for home defense because it allows you the maximum freedom to use your hands to do things like scoop up kids to safety, lock and barricade doors and call 911.

A 12 or 20 gauge shotguns should be the main heavy home defense weapon because even heavy shot is not likely to exit your home and kill your neighbors or other innocents outside. A 12 gauge at point blank delivers about the same energy as a 30-06.

As far as rifles go, you just can't beat an AR in the USA in terms of everything you can do for the least money spent.

The deal breaker for me that caused me to want and eventually buy a Scar-17 is that I wanted one single rifle that can do everything an AR can do, reliably, and with the least amount of extra weight PLUS the ability to hunt deer ethically. If taking large game with poor shot placement were not an issue, I would have remained happy with the AR platform. If you don't need the capacity to also hunt medium to large sized game like deer or hogs, then I would agree that the higher cost of .308 is not easy to justify. If you want to shoot long range competitions, then a bolt gun will always win. But if you just want to shoot for fun, the Scar 17 is hard to beat for semi-auto accuracy and will equal or best any of the other semi rifles that cost less than $3k.

Now just because I "could" do everything with my Scar 17 that I can do with an AR, doesn't mean I actually would.

By this I mean would I run my Scar 17 hard with back to back mag dumps or run it at any of the many hard running tactical rifle training courses around the country? Heck No! It costs too much for the ammo and it costs to much in terms of risking damage to my 17's thin barrel from overheating it. I would run an AR (or AK-47) like most everyone else you will see teaching or taking those kinds of training courses. 5.56 is roughly half the power of .308 and 1/3 the projectile weight. A .308 barrel is going to heat up faster because of that fact alone and the .308 rifle is going to have more stress on it. So if I were going to do that kind of shooting and could only own one rifle, it would be an AR. A new decent grade AR is going to cost less than just a replacement barrel for your Scar 17.

So it really comes down to what you want to do with a rifle as to what the best rifle is going to be for you. My Scar 17 is more of a contingency rifle for me, if I can have only one rifle, my Scar 17 is that rifle. But my AR's are still what I take to shoot those rare times I get the opportunity to shoot rapid fire.

The right answer for you is going to be what best suits your needs. If you determine that isn't going to be your Scar 17, at least not at this time, then I would go to my local gun shops and pawn shops that carry a lot of used guns and I would try to swap my Scar for as many other used rifles, shotguns and pistols that I liked as I could. The reason is I think I would stand a better chance of walking out with more value than if I sold my Scar and tried to buy those same guns. The worst thing that could happen is they would not make the pot sweet enough for me and I would walk out with my Scar.
Well said....helped me make my decision about a SCAR Heavy....

Reactions: DaveConn

·
Registered
106 Posts
If setting aside money for the next couple of months is an option, then I would hang on to the Scar 17 and buy something further down the road. I'd even look at opening a new credit card with 1-2 years of 0% interest if it meant hanging onto the scar and still getting a new rifle in 556 was a possibility.

Alternatively, you could sell your Scar if it is the only viable choice for you - and for the cost, you could get two decent AR-15s. Get a couple M&P-15s, replace the uncomfortable grips for 25 bucks a piece with something a lot better and then have fun with them. Maybe consider replacing the triggers further down the line.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Blasphemy - the 17 is the holly grail of 7.62 combat rifles! You already own it, don't sell it, you will regret it. Just save up a few $$$ and purchase a few 16's over time for you and the wife. Don't sell, you will regret it! Good luck.
Exactly! never sell a wonderful piece like a 17s.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the additional input, my wife and I already own 6 pistols so we are covered in that aspect. I'm a very impulsive buyer which is why I started this thread, it can be very dangerous at times which is why I had to sell my AR back in the day to pay some outstanding debts off and I no longer use credit of any kind. What will probably end up happening is we'll start saving for what ever rifle she wants and I'll hang onto my scar, after she gets her rifle I'll save for a 16S to match :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree with mityno1. I would just add that you may want to consider the IWI Tavor. It is a great battle proven rifle that fits all of the requirements you mentioned. The Tavor is perfect for running a course as it is compact, accurate, reliable and runs 5.56. It is also perfect for your wife to handle and for home defense. The Scar 16 is a great weapon, but the overall length is a possible concern for home defense. The only downside of the Tavor is the OEM trigger which can be lighted in a few minutes or swapped with a easy to drop-in trigger pack. I love my Tavor and you won't be disappointed.

IWI Tavor

Trigger Job
Trigger Pack

·
Registered
974 Posts
Gentlemen, this brings a question to mind...

Are two people, each with an AR, better than one with a Scar 17?

Are two people with AR's who can shoot an AR well better than two people one Scar 17 and only one can shoot the Scar well?

Is it better to have a Scar 17 that only the husband likes to shoot occasionally, or an AR that the whole family likes to shoot often?

Every situation is different, but my answer to these scenarios is the AR is a better choice.

In the not likely to ever happen zombie apocalypses fantasy world, is it better to have an AR or a Scar 17 to face a dozen bad guys all armed with AR's? I'm going with the Scar 17 on this one. And the real world deer hunting too.

The Scar 17 to me is the GT Mustang option, the Z28 Camaro option, the Hellcat Challenger option, and the AR is the base V6 option of these same cars. Do you want more power than you need? Heck yes! But do you actually need all that extra power and expense? Most of the time not. Only if the day comes that you find yourself on a racetrack competing with other fast cars, on that rare day it sure would come in handy and you won't be saying, "I wish I had a V6."

·
Registered
320 Posts
sell a SCAR17 and you'll always compare your future weapons to it and regret selling it. I'd suggest saving for a PS90. My wife LOVES her PS90. They can be had for less than $1k used if you're patient.

Jason

edit- and the PS90 is a great home defense weapon that the wife can handle if necessary with 50 round mags. You can afford to miss a few shots and still take out the threat.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In the case of the OP I don't see anything wrong with selling the 17 and getting two AR-15 rifles. Many people can utilize a 5.56 for their self defense environment. Unless you are in an all out civil war most people won't shoot past 100yds.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Scar 17s is a luxury, shouldn't be anyone's primary rifle... That said you will regret selling it, I'd rather save for a nice AR and hold onto the SCAR, definitely a foolish choice to buy it first though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts