FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering the purchase of a .22 for a target gun at the range. It would be nice to have something you can shoot all day for 10 bucks. The way it's been my son and I can shoot up 70 dollars worth of ammo and be done in a hour and a half if we drag our feet.
Anyone have any suggestions on a decent .22?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I looked at 22 target pistols for years - finally decided to get one this year - Was down to a Buckmark or a Ruger 22/45.

The Ruger is a pain in the butt to disassemble. After renting the BUckmark and seeing how comfortable the grip is, I went with that.

I added a fiber optic front sight for $30, and I am set (the gun was $248).

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
lastmanstanding said:
Pistol. Sa/Da. Something that could be used for longer range paper shooting.
Most target pistols are essentially SA - The DA/SA ones are not great target guns. They are more up close plinkers - like the Walther P22 or Sig Mosquito. Each actually have a zinc slide, and the quality doesn't match the other guns made by those manufacturers (I have read somewhere that Sig and Walther don't actually make those 22 pistols - they are subcontracted out - not 100% sure on that, however).

So, get a decent target pistol :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ShipWreck said:
I looked at 22 target pistols for years - finally decided to get one this year - Was down to a Buckmark or a Ruger 22/45.

The Ruger is a pain in the butt to disassemble. After renting the BUckmark and seeing how comfortable the grip is, I went with that.

I added a fiber optic front sight for $30, and I am set (the gun was $248).

Nice gun Ship. How does it shoot and at what distances have you been accurate to?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
It shoots very nicely - and if I sandbag it, I can make the holes touch. I've only shot it out to 15 yards, though. And, my hands are not the steadiest (I had an injury to my left elbow as a kid, and I take asthma medicine). But, the gun shoots nicely - and if my hands were steadier, I know I could shoot further with it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a S&W 22A, it shoot good when it is clean. I'm not sure if it is the ammo I currently have is too dirty for it or if it is just the gun. After about 100 rds, it will no longer cycle properly.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
lastmanstanding said:
May have to look into one of these. Looks like a trip to the gun shop after work.. Better go check my loose change jar.. :-D
Be aware that there are like 100 variations of the Buckmark - from the mid $200 range to almost $600. The cheaper ones are fine and have a bull barre. But the more expensive ones have stainless barrels, wooden grips, fancy front sights, a splash finish on the gun, or some mixture of all of these.

I got mine at Academy Sports.

I actually got the 4" version because I couldn't find the 5 1/2" barrelled version at any Academy I went to in my area or Houston. Then, someone on Rimfire central bought a new Buckmark and bough an aftermarket barrel for it without shooting the gun. He sold me the longer barrel. I then turned around and sold the shorter barrel (I had 250 rounds thru it at the time) for the same price. So, it came out great.

The Buckmark is so easy to disassemble. Just use a hex wrench,a nd you can remove the barrel if U wish, and also remove the front sight to change it out yourself.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I like the Buck Mark pistol, but I prefer the Ruger hunter or Target. I only have on of each of the fore mentioned as I have just recently started wanting 22 cal. guns of all types. This round seems to have been neglected for quite some time, I love the little guy in all forms. They are also quite accurate for a small round when used in the proper launcher. Besides, what else can you shoot for $20 all day? or even $50 with extreme match ammo?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Pistol (Walther P22 or Beretta NEOS 22). A little more pricey than others but worth the additional cost!

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Walther P22 is a awesome little gun ! I bought one for plinking and let the fiance shoot it, needless to say, she took it and it is her gun now. So, looks like I will be buying another !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts