FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all!

I took my FiveseveN out for the third time on a totally unscientific run at an indoor range. With 4 others and my friend brought his Glock .40cal. We took turns shooting and comparing our experiences.

I'm by no means a marksman or expert shooter. I have shot pistols for only that past 3 or so years and the Fiveseven is the first one that I purchased.

Comparatively I have found the Fiveseven to be the best balance for a pistol to date. Though, this is purely my own personal opinion and it is based on my personal likes of gun balance, accuracy, recoil and that reward of a big muzzle flash. I'd also not have any hesitation using this pistol for HD if I was unfortunate enough to have to go through such an experience. Those SS197 rounds are pretty nasty with their fragmentation. Not to mention ease of shot placement.

My Fiveseven has not been sighted in yet. From the factory using SS197 sounds I find that mine constantly fires low and to the left. But after shooting a few rounds you can develop a fair sight picture to compensate reasonably well.

Today I decided to try the pistol out out first 10yds. Being that I am not all that awesome with handguns, I typically stick to 7-10yds with handguns as to not completely crush my pride when I leave the range.
At 10yds with the Fiveseven, I find it is pretty easy to keep all the rounds in pretty tight cluster. The return is so fast and it seems like the gun almost wants to return to exactly the same spot.

But today I got a bit more bold. I started pushing the target to 15yds, 20yds and eventually 25yds. I was completely amazed to see that there was very little adjustment for range. On top of that I was hitting the just about same size patterns despite the range with the occasional way-off shot. My gun was still shooting to the left but the groups weren't too bad for a rookie with an unsighted gun and at that range.

Overall, the Fiveseven has surpassed my expectations. It's an amazing pistol. It's biggest problem is there is not enough ammo in the world for it to shoot!

Oh and on a side note: In my wonderful state ammo is taxed so bad that the costliness of the ammo doesn't make it all that much more pricey than more conventional calibers.

I only had my crappy iPhone camera so I apologize, the images are of lame quality.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! It's really not hard at all to enjoy the Fiveseven! It's so fun and easy that it almost feels like cheating at the range.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I let a fairly new shooter fire my USG today. After the first shot, He said "Whoa, this thing has no recoil!" :D With a BIG grin on His face. 20 shots hit exactly where He aimed and tidy!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I have been enjoying it.
I need to get the time to get the gun sighted-in. Right now they are way off, to the point of being almost useless. But right now work and that terrible flu have had their way with my time.

@GT1R390, No it's not Reed's Range. (It's in the PM reply I sent you)

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Its not hard to adjust the sights - Pick your distance, and then rest the gun on a sandbag.

When I had a Five Seven, I sighted mine in at 15 yards in just a few minutes this way

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, it's good to know it doesn't take long to get it sighted. Still for the short term at least it will have to wait.

Hey Ship, do you ever miss having a Fiveseven around? I read why you sold yours, but still I've been enjoying this pistol so much, I can't imagine it was an easy choice to part ways with one despite the ammo cost.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Well, after seeing someone's recent post showing what the round did on a target - I kinda miss it. I hated to scuff up and carry a gun close to $1k - but now I have a USpc45 that costed me $826 + $25 FFL fee - so about $850. I bought it specifically for CCW. So, I guess it wouldn't have been that much of a stretch to carry that $900+_ gun.

But, I just never shot it as well as I liked to. So, I only sorta miss it.

I never had any of the brass sliver issues that some report either.

But, without selling it - there's no way I could have paid for that custom 1911 I am waiting on (and should have soon). It paid for almost 1/3 of it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Micronized said:
Thanks, I have been enjoying it.
I need to get the time to get the gun sighted-in. Right now they are way off, to the point of being almost useless. But right now work and that terrible flu have had their way with my time.

@GT1R390, No it's not Reed's Range. (It's in the PM reply I sent you)

Never gotta PM.

i had to re-adjust my sites too...mine was shoot way low, and to the right like yours. I raised the rear sight and was able to hit dead on for a few shots...i just gotta practice my trigger control.

Shipwreck, why did you get rid of your FsN? thread i can read on it? or you can tell the whole story again... :?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts