FN Herstal Firearms banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my ps90 a few weeks ago with the intent of registering it as an SBR and machining a new short bbl but after shooting it quite a bit I have decided I like the balistics with the longer bbl. Decided machining a new receiver to be the best route for me so I can just swap barreled receiver assemblies at will and not have to tear the whole weapon apart to do so.
Here is a pic of my new receiver machined from 6061t6. I am machining the "tower" that will hold the front of the mag in alignment and have a std picatiny rail across the top for mounting optics etc.

I have built a couple this week and as soon as bbl stock arrives I will finish the project up.
Rail on top of mount will be aprox 3/8 lower than tri rail. More pics and info on receiver to follow.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as an 07/SOT its totaly legal for me to manufacture as receiver for a title 1 (semi auto) firearm . It would also be legal for use by a manufacturer on a form 2 or an individual on an approved form 1 to build as a short bbl rifle .

·
Registered
181 Posts
Man, you have got to put a different title on this thread!

I just saw this over at the other forum. I think I can say this here:

Spooge!!!! Oh, Jenny!

Why doesn't FN make something like this?

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Re: My ps90 Billet receiver SBR project.

panaceabeachbum said:
I bought my ps90 a few weeks ago with the intent of registering it as an SBR and machining a new short bbl but after shooting it quite a bit I have decided I like the balistics with the longer bbl. Decided machining a new receiver to be the best route for me so I can just swap barreled receiver assemblies at will and not have to tear the whole weapon apart to do so.
Here is a pic of my new receiver machined from 6061t6. I am machining the "tower" that will hold the front of the mag in alignment and have a std picatiny rail across the top for mounting optics etc.

I have built a couple this week and as soon as bbl stock arrives I will finish the project up.
Rail on top of mount will be aprox 3/8 lower than tri rail. More pics and info on receiver to follow.

This is far superior to anything I'm doing with ProjectX. I have dreamed of doing something like this (time provided) but you have beat me to it with exceptional delivery may I add!

Bravo!

Can I please buy one! Money is no object.

-TH

·
Registered
32 Posts
Making your own receiver

It sounds like from what I have read and been told by this author and others, you can legally do this, but YOU have to do the work yourself, and it has to be for YOU.

I suspect that you need to buy a CNC mill and work up the design (or pay this obviously talented gentleman) for the CNC ready code / cad drawing that your CNC mill can use to make a new receiver from some billet alum.

Good news is that you can buy some smaller cnc mills for a somewhat reasonable price, but the learning curve will be steep at first (as I am learning with my first lathe on hand) and will cost you a bit.

One place you can take a look is http://www.taigtools.com to see the mini lathe and mill they have, including the cnc ready or even cnc equipped mill for about $2k.

another option might be to take a machine class at a local community college and learnt he machining skills, while using their equipment to do this project, but you would likely have to clear it through the instructor first.

Regardless, the work looks great, and the possibilities appear endless with the right gear and skills. :)

Gratz again to the OP for a masterful job, I wonder if he is aware of all the drooling that is happening right now. :)

Onyx

·
Registered
32 Posts
CNC Mill

Nice! I am sure several people are wondering, but did you mill the PS90 receiver on your seig cnc mill, or some of it?

Is your seig mill capable of doing all or most of this work?

And how much of a cpu do you need to run the cnc mill? old laptop enough to make it go?

Thanks man!

Onyx

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here it is all finished up, runs like a top . This ones going to end up with an aimpoint , I am barreling another one with the original bbl for my little burris compact scope . I have wound the three springs nec and made the take down plunger, just need a source for a few charge handle assemblies so all the uppers can be swapped with the push of a button.

·
Registered
25 Posts
SWEET!

Now I see why you have a WTB add in the classifieds for a charging handle assy. That is a great idea, even easier than changing the upper receiver on an AR- one button to push!

Are you planning on marketing a blueprint or autocad drawings?

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Ok, to totally upstage my meager mashining skills is one thing, but to take my Project X and absolutely grind it in with the beatifuly engraved PS90X ... this is WAR!

WAAAAAAAAAR!

If you are not going to offer these for sale (or at least the program) I will hunt you down or worse - get you to post this on the "other" forum.

Bwahahahahaha !!!!

Super job mate. Super Job.

-TH

·
Registered
125 Posts
That is very, very slick and better than the original design. It seems the way the rail is attached with six screws would allow all sorts of attachments. Patent and sell for less than FN, become wildly wealthy. :lol:

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.