FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my understanding that you receive an e-stamp of some sort. What I am not clear on is does the ATF follow up with the real paper stamp in the mail or is the e-stamp all you ever get?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
E-stamp is all you get....

Reactions: 17heavy

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Which is funny because they are breaking their own rules. If I remember reading the law they are suppose to issue you a "stamp" which is defined as a a physical entity.

·
Administrator
11,078 Posts
Yeah, you get a picture of the stamp, not the stamp itself. You would think for $200 they would send you the actual stamp that you paid a pretty hefty price for........

·
Administrator
11,078 Posts
I am 3 mo. + a few days right now. Hopefully any day.
Fingers crossed - I'm at 78 days, 12 shy of 3 months........

I suspect that some of us are going to take more than 90 days or so because of the inspector and how many states they have to cover. Being from Florida, I think our inspector covers three states but they are all suppressor, SBR, AOW and other Title II firearm friendly. Lots more applications than the inspector gets that covers Calif...

·
Registered
612 Posts
I wouldn't count on 3 months anymore I'm at 3 months going on 4 in 10 days. My suppressor was sent on Oct 30 and I've been really disappointed I haven't heard anything yet...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,078 Posts
I wouldn't count on 3 months anymore I'm at 3 months going on 4 in 10 days. My suppressor was sent on Oct 30 and I've been really disappointed I haven't heard anything yet...

Not sure I follow. Your "suppressor was sent". Do you mean that your suppressor is pending transfer to your local Class 3 FFL or has it been about 4 months since the eForm was filed for you to take possession or are you still waiting on the paper approval to get the suppressor?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sorry, I guess I should have been a little clearer. I bought, from my dealer, two suppressors on the 27th of Oct. They submitted the eform 4 for both and paid my $200 tax stamp on the 30th. I'm waiting for approval to take possession and getting kind of disappointed after being excited 3 months were becoming common.

·
Administrator
11,078 Posts
Sorry, I guess I should have been a little clearer. I bought, from my dealer, two suppressors on the 27th of Oct. They submitted the eform 4 for both and paid my $200 tax stamp on the 30th. I'm waiting for approval to take possession and getting kind of disappointed after being excited 3 months were becoming common.

Glad you clarified that.

I really do not see how the eForm filing will be any faster than the paper filings as I am pretty sure that they are handled one at a time, as they come in. So the only advantage to the eForm would be the lack of time it takes for the post office to get the form to the ATF. Maybe some time will be saved by the transfer of the data for the background checks conducted by the FBI for individuals but for Trusts, Corps, LLC's, I do not see how the process can be advanced much faster simply because the form is filed on a computer instead of through snail mail.

I can see how the eForms make it easier to submit the forms however why would submission of the eForm cause an already backlogged system to not stay backlogged? Seems to me the only thing that has changed is that the Post Office was taken out of the loop with the eForms.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I wonder if they have a couple individuals that only do the Eforms instead of dividing the workload by state for those. That might speed it up as there aren't nearly as many of them as paper right now.

·
Registered
81 Posts

I hope you paid $400, or there will be a longer wait.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Glad you clarified that.

I really do not see how the eForm filing will be any faster than the paper filings as I am pretty sure that they are handled one at a time, as they come in. So the only advantage to the eForm would be the lack of time it takes for the post office to get the form to the ATF. Maybe some time will be saved by the transfer of the data for the background checks conducted by the FBI for individuals but for Trusts, Corps, LLC's, I do not see how the process can be advanced much faster simply because the form is filed on a computer instead of through snail mail.

I can see how the eForms make it easier to submit the forms however why would submission of the eForm cause an already backlogged system to not stay backlogged? Seems to me the only thing that has changed is that the Post Office was taken out of the loop with the eForms.
My understanding is the eforms are quicker for 2 reasons;
1) all the dealer info is already approved. in other words the paper form needs to have the dealer portion verified/vetted along with your info. since the info is already in their system, one less thing to check. also, the item details are there and correct: name, numbers, location, etc.

2) reportedly there is just eform personnel, they do not do paper forms.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wonder if they have a couple individuals that only do the Eforms instead of dividing the workload by state for those. That might speed it up as there aren't nearly as many of them as paper right now.
I am inclined to believe this. It seems unlikely they would have the same people switching back and forth between processing electronic and paper forms. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.:th_confused0024:

·
Administrator
11,078 Posts
It's my understanding that there are only about 7 or 9 inspectors that do this and they cover then entire country. My inspector covers Florida, Tenn and Alabama. However they were suppose to have hired some additional people to review the forms before they got to the inspectors but never-the-less, I am still certain that it is done on a first come first serve basis and I still do not see how going to an electronic form will speed up the already back logged process.....

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I honestly only filed an eForm 1 and had an SOT do an eForm 4 after people started getting them back after only 90-days. It would be really disappointing if the eForms took longer than 3-4 months. I'm at the 7-month mark for 2 Form 4's submitted by paper. This wait sucks, not to mention the uncertainty surrounding ATF 41P. But at least the latest news on 41P is that it's not expected to take full effect until around December at the earliest according to the American Silencer Association's blog.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My dealer told me that when the eforms first started, there was a faster turn around, but once word got out the eforms began flooding in and are now taking much longer than they did originally.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Still unclear about this stamp thing. I'm at the 3 month mark since they e- cashed my e check. If sending me an E stamp ( a picture of the stamp) is suppose to suffice, maybe I should have taken a picture of $200 and E submitted that. Oh yes, that's not acceptable is it. But then again I am at the mercy of a system. My last mailed form took 9 months from check cashed to stamp received. I am patient but I took the FNX out for another 100rds tonight, and it's begging for a can. It's just sitting in the dealers safe, waiting. So anyone really just got an E Stamp?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts