FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating getting a 20 barrel cut down to 18". Since the 6.5 barrels will be available soon I plan on getting one for sure. So any longer range needs will be filled with the 6.5 and the .308 barrel is not losing much 20-18, what do you guys think- or do you think it may impact function?

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
IMHO I think it is a terrible idea. First, you will be devaluing your 20 by a sizeable amount. Second, I don't get what you would gain by cutting off two inches of barrel. This rifle isn't designed for room clearing. I can't envision a time and place where having 2 less inches will make any kind of difference. But hey, it's your gun so do what makes you happiest. I don't know if the SCAR 16 barrels interchange with the 20 receiver, but I would look into buying a 16 barrel if it does and keep the 20 incher in tact. Maybe the 16" wouldn't clear the end of the rail since I have never seen a 20 and don't really know the dimensions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The barrels on the 17 and 20 are not interchangeable. I am never going to sell it so re sale is not a thought I would be worried about. I have 17 also but figured I would like the 18" barrel better with a brake instead of the 20 inch.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've sold a couple of guns that I said I would never sell. Interests can change and life situations can change. I agree on not cutting it down. I also agree that it's your rifle, so do what you want. But if you felt compelled to ask for opinions on cutting it down, they you've obviously 2nd guessed it yourself. If you do cut it down, you may have to change the gas jet by 1 increment larger. Shortening a barrel requires slightly more gas.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
If you want a shorter barrel buy a 17. No really good reason to buy a 20 then neuter it by cutting the barrel down. Just my opinion. I've got all 3 barrel lengths for my 17's just so I cover the shooting I want to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just like to you know that FN does make 16” scar 20s but not for civilians. I had a scar 17 for three years and sold it. A 16” scar 20s may not make sense to some ppl but to me, it’s a perfect a DMR rifle like a 16” KAC sr25.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts