FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on the CD HI-Power?

I like that the frame is made in the US and most of all, the price!

Never owned or shot one though. Anyone here who does/has?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have seen them many times. But their 1911's don't typically stack up that great against other brands of 1911's. Therefore, I am not sure of their Hi-Powers

·
Registered
20 Posts
The CD's are made by FEG in Hungary. They are assembled here. which makes them US made. It is specifically the PJK-9HP with some mods which is a very good HP clone. Had an PJK-9HP and it was very good.

BTW their 1911's are Filipino by Rock Island, Armscor and are great 1911 values.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife has had one for some time. They are made by FEG and assembled in the states by two sources, one is Dan Wesson, I don't remember the other (growing old is h*ll) hers had the serial number that indicates Dan Wesson. I don't remember what the different serial number indicators are (growing old is h*ll.....did I say that before?) The fit, and reliability of hers is equal to my FN Belgium assembled Argentine. The finish of hers is better. She's got the big dot system and can wear out the center of a silhouette at seven yards. My wife likes to rapid fire, the guys at the range love it, one of them calls her "fully." Her CD has never had a failure.

I'd buy another CD. Though I'm planning on my next HP being either T model FN or maybe a newer Browning, if I found the right price on a Charles Daly, I'd get it.

I also have a CD 1911 A1. After tuning the extractor, it's only had a few failures out of close to two thousand rounds, and no failures with Wilson mags and high quality ammo. It's good, I'd get another if it was an amazing deal, but my next 1911 will be a WWII era military, probably Colt.

I'd say the CD HP is a bit better than the CD 1911, shame that CD is closing their HP line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been shooting a CD for about three months now. It has performed without a flaw, and is as accurate as my eyes are.

While the CD is not a FN or Browning in quality, for the price I think it is an excellent buy at under $375 NIB. I still see these offered on some of the on-line gun auction sites, so they are still available, but also rising in price.

One thing of note: the sights on the CD's are a shallow V rear sight and take some getting used to. It is my understanding that some never get used to them, but I do fine with the rather odd sights.

With the lack of new FN's on the market, I think the CD is a good alternative unless you can find a cheap-new FN or nice used one. I can't seem to!

KEN

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is my first image posted to the site.

I hope to add a FN hi power to my small collect very soon. Seems the FN's are a bit difficult to come by!

KEN

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update:

I continue to run rounds through my CD. Now up to 500 or so with not one FTF or FTE.

I am used to the sites now and find them very handy. It's still no FN or Browning, but well worth the money.

KEN

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pow-ding said:
Update:

I continue to run rounds through my CD. Now up to 500 or so with not one FTF or FTE.

I am used to the sites now and find them very handy. It's still no FN or Browning, but well worth the money.

KEN
Good to know. Thanks for the update Ken! Still debating whether to try the CD Hi-Power or save a little more $$$ and try for a Browning.

·
Banned
3 Posts
I have one and have found it to be very reliable and accurate. Fit and finish are very good for the money. I believe the Dan Wesson assembled guns have serial numbers that start with HP, the second company to assemble the guns was ________. Can't remember, but the serial numbers start with MHP. Mine is of the latter batch. I have read some accounts of sights shooting loose on the DW assembled guns. Other than that, no negative reports on the CD clones. All seem to function reliably.

FEG, the Hungarian company that made these for CD has gone out of business. The supply has dried up. CDNN Investments was liquidating the last stock of these pistols earlier this year. I think they have sold out now. Interesting the number of guns that CD brings to market but subsequently loses distribution rights for. Guess I can't fault CD for FEG's bankruptcy (or whatever the cause was for them shutting down).

Out West

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had a CD HP for about 2 years now. Bought it for a killer price from CDNN. The express sights are very fast to acquire and with a little practice can be used for precision shots. The trigger is better than m Brownings or FNs were out of the box and when I took out the mag disconnect it got even better. Trigger has a little more take up than the FN/Brownings, but breaks very clean and I have taken to using it as my carry off duty gun. Only other problem is that aftermarket stocks may not fit closely, had to try a couple of sets before I got a pair that fit tightly. I prefer Navidrex slim stocks or the old Uncle Mikes rubbers. If I found another CD for the same price or close I would be all over it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts