FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the factory brake, while I'm sure great at what it does, is way too loud for me. Even outdoors the concussion to the side of the rifle is intense. Anyway, before changing to some other flash hider, etc, I want to try the rifle with nothing. This will give me an idea of how much the factory brake is helping recoil, and some kind of baseline for comparisons. I suppose it is possible I'll leave it on for a while if it isn't overly objectionable.

I was going to buy this:

Yankee Hill Machine Barrel Thread Protector Cap 5/8-24 Standard Barrel

Cheap is the main driver here, but I do want something that fits/works properly. Is there anything weird about the SCAR I need to be aware of? Some reason this won't work well, or something else will work better? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been thinking about the same thing. I'm also wondering if it won't improve accuracy a little to. I've seen some head to head accuracy reports between hiders, comps, and protectors. And the protectors and hiders looked like they had a advantage, though it was on 5.56 rifles. I like the idea of a hider better then a protector because of the muzzle protection at the crown.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It turns out it's a little short, but generally it works fine. I put the locknut back on just so all the threads were covered. Otherwise it leaves about two threads on one side or the other exposed.

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just got out and shoot a few rounds of 50 cal. and your 17S with brake will feel like a 22 cal. and it should no longer bother you!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not to to hijack the thread but a follow-up that goes with the topic (let me know I'll delete it if you want). Have read this concern on the 17S on several threads. What Brakes/Compensator are guys going to? Will a standard 5/8 x 24 work with it? I was thinking compensator myself. I have a SJC Titan laying around I never put on an AR10 I had, was going to try the factory first then maybe it. Haven't shot mine yet but, but still interested in others opinions. Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
The brake doesn't affect accuracy. This isn't call of duty. I shoot 338 lapua magnum at ranges that exceed 2400 yards and no issues with hitting 12x20" targets.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Did you shoot it without the brake to do the comparo?
I did just that yesterday.

In terms of sound, without the brake, the rifle is still very loud. But you aren't hit in the face with it, and the difference standing to the side is huge. Without the brake the noise seems to echo from all around you and sort of linger, but you don't get punched in the face with it.

The recoil difference did not seem as pronounced at first. Shooting with the thread protector at first, the recoil seemed pretty normal. It isn't objectionable. Though to be fair, I had just been shooting a .44 Mag 2.5" handgun, and a 5 lbs .44 Mag rifle. The rifle recoil is quite a bit more pronounced than the SCAR, so I may not have been in the best position to make a judgment about the SCAR's recoil. After putting the brake on, the recoil did seem less, but not noticeably so. I think partially because the extra sound adds a perception of recoil. I then removed the brake again, at which point I did notice that I was putting my face too close to the sights. They were coming back at me (no harm done, but annoying) from the recoil. I ended up extending the stock another notch. I think this helped illustrate how little the gun moved with the brake (though, again, the sound adds perception of recoil).

I will keep the brake off, because the sound concussion is just too irritating. But I can see how it makes a useful reduction in recoil. But it's still a pleasant rifle to shoot without the brake. Or, maybe I should say, the recoil is still much less objectionable than the sound. The thing is loud as hell. It's mainly a difference of whether that sound is heard bouncing off all the hills and trees around you, or slamming you directly in the face. I'm sure one of those is way more likely to cause hearing damage, I just mean that no matter what, there is a lot of sound coming out of it.

I wonder if there's any kind of suppressor that doesn't add a lot of length or weight, but maybe just dials the sound down to like a handgun going off?

I also put some PPU 145gr .308 (the white box stuff everyone has for sale) over the chronograph. I fired 3 shots, average of 2621fps and a standard deviation of 37. That is 92% of the claimed velocity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts