FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I patiently (really) wait on my suppressors, I've been planning out the barrels I need. Most of my pistols are easy enough, as there's a factory version ready to drop right into place. I have a Colt 1991A1 for which I'd like to get a threaded barrel. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've seen several options, but don't have a lot of experience with aftermarket barrels. Also, is it a drop in part on a 1911, or will it most likely require fitting? I really don't need to suppress the Colt, but I've always wanted a suppressed 1911 and I might as well check that off the list.

Thanks for any insight or recommendations.

·
Premium Member
15,679 Posts
Good question! I have been looking also. I am very satisfied with my Jarvis 5.7 barrel been seriously thinking about ordering one of these.

1911 Pistol Barrels
No finer 1911 barrel on the market. Machined from 416 rifle quality stainless steel forging for superior strength.
View Details

·
Premium Member
9,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Lester. That looks like a contender. Man, these barrels are going to add up, price wise. I foolishly thought I was over the hump on expenses. I really never learn. At least this is a project I can take slow and easy. I have a pistol with a TB for each suppressor to get things stated.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Premium Member
9,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like Brownells has them for gov. model for under a hundred bucks.
Yeah, I got that email this morning. That's what got my mental gears moving about the Colt.

Reactions: BOOMSLANG

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
just a heads up bought a sig 1911 threaded barrel for my 1911 nightmare and got the correct size but doesnt fit. Other then that I have no clue what direction to point anyone in for 1911 barrels

·
Premium Member
9,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just a heads up bought a sig 1911 threaded barrel for my 1911 nightmare and got the correct size but doesnt fit. Other then that I have no clue what direction to point anyone in for 1911 barrels
That's what I'm afraid of. I have a Sig 1911 also, but I think I'll stick with the Colt. It was my first 1911. I've had it for well over 20 years. It thought I'd do something nice for it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's what I'm afraid of. I have a Sig 1911 also, but I think I'll stick with the Colt. It was my first 1911. I've had it for well over 20 years. It thought I'd do something nice for it.
My experience is the opposite. I got a SIG threaded barrel and its a drop in fit on both my SIG 1911s. Barely had to adjust zero.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
As long as we are talking about 1911's.... I just got my colt, 1991a1 and it came with two 7 round magazines. I would like to get a few more, and noticed that there are 8 round magazines available. Will the 8 round mag fit flush like the 7 round mags, or will it stick out? The manual says it will take 8 round mags, but does not say if it is a flush fit or not.

Sorry for the thread jack... :(

·
Premium Member
9,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As long as we are talking about 1911's.... I just got my colt, 1991a1 and it came with two 7 round magazines. I would like to get a few more, and noticed that there are 8 round magazines available. Will the 8 round mag fit flush like the 7 round mags, or will it stick out? The manual says it will take 8 round mags, but does not say if it is a flush fit or not.

Sorry for the thread jack... :(
They do stick out a bit. Here's my 1991A w/ Wilson 8 Round Mag. Congrats on the Colt...she's a beauty.

Reactions: Donnie and LESTER

·
Premium Member
9,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reactions: LESTER

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
Jarvis, Bar-Sto and KKM are all excellent. Be careful on the lower priced, pre-threaded, barrels as often the thread size is not what you want and also the pitch diameter and thread profiles can be wonky.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts