FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are planning on attending Thunder Ranch Texas in Jan, and then making the trip out to Oregon next summer. The wife has gotten it into her head that she needs to take her PS90 instead of her M4. I haven't asked Clint's permission yet, and wanted some advice before I did.

Is the PS90 a viable choice for the Urban Rifle course? Would the 200m effective range hamstring it at this course?

While I would love to see how the PS90 performs in a school like this, I am afraid that it might be the wrong tool for the job.

Any thoughts?

Slagged

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't know anything about that course and I haven't had a chance to even shoot my PS90 yet. But I do have a couple things to say. First 200 meters for an urban setting doesn't seem right to me. That is a heck of a long distance for urban environments.

Second shooting out to 200 meters I think the PS90 could do it. But with the lack of a bipod or a really good sling it is not going to be easy. Also what type of sights would you be using? What type of accuracy will be asked of you to perform? Sure hitting a man sized target at 200 meters is possible with iron sights. But using a scope would be a whole lot easier. Also if you plan on using the standard PS90 sight how fast can you adjust for wind and elevation?

There are a ton more things I could think of to ask. But your best bet is to just call them and ask.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called Thunder Ranch and lest a message. I'll post their response.

I have no idea what distances will be encountered at the school, as this will be my first trip there. She will be using a Eotec, or my Zeiss. As of now, we have only had it out to 100m, but we are joining a range with a 200m range. I also do not think that the effective range will be an issue for the class, but hope to know shortly.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Having shot my full length PS90 next to my 10.5" LMT AR, I would think that the course would be much more fun to do with the PS90. No recoil or noise and very easy to shoot off hand. All your doing is punching paper correct?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to Heidi today, and she is going to have Clint get back with an answer. Her first question was about ammo, since their range is green. I told her about SS195LF, and they are going to look into it. She said that I would have the info by Friday, since that is when I am booking the trip.

On a side note, Texas CQB changed their decision, and said that they are not ready to accept the PS90. They do not feel that they know the weapon well enough to teach any failure drills with it, but will gladly accept the PS90 once they are more familiar with it. The max distance at TCQB's Urban Rifle course is 100yrds.

Fingers crossed on Thunder Ranch!

Slagged

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fargo said:
Having shot my full length PS90 next to my 10.5" LMT AR, I would think that the course would be much more fun to do with the PS90. No recoil or noise and very easy to shoot off hand. All your doing is punching paper correct?
I am pretty sure that they use paper and metal targets. I really think that the PS90 would be a blast out there!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Keep us updated I want to know what they say. Failure drills? What a load. Pull the mag out and rack the bolt. If that doesn't work on whatever gun you have with you then you have bigger problems and need a secondary.

·
Registered
25 Posts
whitetiger7654 said:
Keep us updated I want to know what they say. Failure drills? What a load. Pull the mag out and rack the bolt. If that doesn't work on whatever gun you have with you then you have bigger problems and need a secondary.
I think they're just saying they're uncomfortable teaching a gun they don't have much experience with. Which makes total sense to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi folks.
I am a newbie to this board and also regarding the PS90 as I just purchased one yesterday. As far as Thunder Ranch goes, most of the course is conducted at 25 yards and closer. Very little steel targets, if any, are used.

Frankly, the urban rifle course is really geared to the AR-15 family of weapons. I have not taken the 3 day Urban Rifle course but I recently attended a two day tutorial with emphasis on urban rifle. My weapon of choice was a Rock River 16" w/ EOTech 552 and BUIS and this set up was well suited for the type of shooting we were doing. The EOtech reticle was particularly handy for 7 yard head shots as the bore/sight correction at close range was easy to maintain. Just lay the horizontal "cross hair" on the top edge of the target (the rifle zeroed for 50 yds.) and voila.

My concern with a PS90 would be having enough magazines so that I'm not hanging up the class by having to keep reloading them. On the positive side, Clint is not a big believer in tactical reloads and has no problem with you running the gun dry before reloading. So, a 50 round magazine would be a definite advantage over the 30 round AR mags.

Manipulating the weapon is a major part of the class, i.e. reloading, clearing malfunctions, etc. along with shooting positions (standing, high or speed kneeling, low kneeling, sitting and prone) and shooting after/while moving. Although a sling is recommended for the class, and Clint does go into the hasty sling technique of shooting, it is used very little. He does not do any transitions from rifle to handgun in the basic Urban Rifle. Also, FWIW, he is not a big fan of tactical slings.

I, too, am curious about the ammo issue. I have alway used frangible lead ammo at TR Oregon, either ICC or Speer Cleanfire, in the case of .45 ACP. In this last course, I used U.S.G.I frangible .223 purchased from Ammoman. I picked up a case of FN SS195 with the PS90 and would like to know if it meets with Heidi's approval.

I imagine it would be fun to use a PS90 for the course but, frankly, I think one would get a lot more out of it they used an AR-15 instead.

Just my .02

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stillman said:
My concern with a PS90 would be having enough magazines so that I'm not hanging up the class by having to keep reloading them. On the positive side, Clint is not a big believer in tactical reloads and has no problem with you running the gun dry before reloading. So, a 50 round magazine would be a definite advantage over the 30 round AR mags.
I believe that with the right gear, keeping enough loaded magazines on oneself should not be a problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts