FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay you suppressor guys I need you oppinion on which suppressor I should get and why? Which one offers better suppression, serviceability, cleanability, ECT... You guys get the point, whats your opinions? Mainly used on FNX 45 Tac or maybe a glock or 1911's if I got threaded barrels for them.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
i like having the option of taking my cans apart and cleaning them. uses the same pistons as the osprey so thread options are abundant. Also I LIKE the click together baffles

·
Registered
876 Posts
Lucky for you roaddog my family loves suppressors and I/we have three .45 suppressors. AAC T-Rant 45, Silencerco Osprey .45, and Silencerco Osprey 45 HD. Here's the low down on all of them. First let me say all have equal DB reduction rates....Don't believe the company's tech pages or some guy on youtube with one suppressor and how his is the best...Blah Blah. They all sound the same. The Osprey 45 is a nice design, especially when on a pistol. The downside is that you can't take it apart and clean it. This is probably the least used because I can't disassemble and clean it. This is really sucky if you put 5mL of ultrasound liquid in it. Carbon builds up quickly when shooting "WET". The T-Rant 45 is nice and can be disassembled for cleaning, but the baffles are made out of Aluminum which means you can't put them in a ultra sonic cleaner or use my favorite cleaner "peracetic acid" so the Ti-Rant can be a pain to clean. Lastly the Silencerco Octane 45 HD, this silencer can be disassembled like the Ti-Rant but all the baffles are made out of Stainless Steel! This means all you have to do to clean it is drop the baffles in "peracetic acid" and in 10-15mins the baffles look brand-new. It's strange that from a price point it goes AAC, Osprey, Octane. I can say without a doubt that the best made is the Octane and the easiest to clean/maintain is the Octane. If I were you I'd purchase the Osprey 45 HD. Also just like the AAC & Ti-Rant you can get sub-cal pistons and fixed spacers. So you can use it on a 9mm, 40Cal, 300BLK, and even a .22 if you wanted. The 9mm and 40cal rounds sound the same as suppressors made specifically for them. The 22LR sounds better with a 22LR silencer though, but it still makes a 22LR round pretty quiet.

PS: I know people on the forum are going to tell me how I'm such a bad person for using peracetic acid (50% Hydrogen Peroxcide 50% Vinegar) to clean my baffles.

Screen Shot 2014-03-31.png

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went with the Octane for easy cleaning. I shoot lead cast rounds so I had to be able to take it apart. The design of the Octane impressed me as well with the way the baffles are made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you mean the octane 45 HD? I though you like the octane the best.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I just brought my Octane 9 home and am quite happy with the design and how well it works also. I wouldn't consider anything else.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Ti-Rant 45 for me ... didn't want to screw around "clocking" the Osprey to all the different host guns. I use my Ti-Rant on both my 45's and 9's with great results bone dry ... I see no reason to run it wet and get it filthy? I also like the Adjustable Zero feature.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Well damn. I had my heart set on the osprey but some how my less then observant self skylarked right past the fact that it is not user serviceable. I can understand how it wouldn't bother some but it certainly would bother me. Now the Octane is looking pretty damned sexy... As always thanks for the information gentleman it is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
The funny thing he is saying he recommends the osprey45 over the others even though it cannot be disassembled, maybe because of the different pistons?

either way I'm happy with the osprey and I know it will work just as well with my 40cal stuff. I don't like the idea I can't disassemble - but most cans you cannot so i guess not a huge deal, and it had a lifetime warranty so if problems I am covered anyways. Good thing is I can use standard sights and that is good because I intend to use on different guns.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I'm not a fan of not being able to disassemble the Osprey, but part of the reason I got it was that the serial number is back by where the piston is. If you do get a baffle strike and punch a hole through the side, it should be able to get repaired.

The Octane does look nice though.

Reactions: Kev

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Ti-Rant 45
Weight - 11.5oz
Diameter - 1.38"
Length - 8.74"
Construction - titanium steel aluminum
DB standard 45 (sub) - 134
User serviceable - Yes
Price - 695$

Osprey 45
Weight- 11.01oz
Dimensions - 1.75" by 1.3"
Length - 8.0625"
Construction - Aluminum Stainless steel Aluminum
DB standard 45 (sub) 132
User serviceable - No
Price - 680$

Octane 45 HD
Weight - 12.01oz
Diameter - 1.375"
Length - 8.7"
Construction - Aluminum stainless steel.
DB standard 45 (sub) - 134
User serviceable - Yes
Price 659$

Reactions: McCrapper

·
Registered
876 Posts
I went with the osprey, cleaning is really not much different from other suppressors.
Cleaning isn't different if you are talking about 556 or 762 cans....Basically rifle cans. It's a PITA to clean. I leave it in Ed's Red for 24hrs....then try to brush inside with baby bottle brush....wash with soap & water....use compressor to blast water out and dry inside......then stick it in Ed's Red for another 24hrs....brush and wash with soap again....use compressor to dry the inside again...spay some BreakFree CLP inside and let sit for a couple of mins....use the compressor again to blow out excess CLP...and finally wipe outside with cloth and store.......I won't let anything but FMJ bullets go through it and the ammo needs to be burn clean burning....I also wait until I have a bunch of rifle suppressors to clean before I go through the cleaning process. I let the other Trustee's know I'm cleaning rifle suppressors if they want to get in...since it's a lot of work and i'm such a nice guy.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
The specs are so close that I have decided that I will go with the Octane 45 personally. The only reason I would choose the Osprey over the Octane is that its shorter and lighter. But the fact that the Osprey cannot be serviced kills it for me. The reason I would go for the the octane over the Ti-Rant is simply because Silincercos customer service is outstanding and AAC's is :p

Reactions: hillbillyjim

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
You can't go wrong with a SWR/SilencerCo can ... I'm debating grabbing an Octane 9 HD before that 41P crap kicks in(June?).
Yup! That's got me scooping up cans at a wallet busting pace right now. What a bummer. I am waiting patiently for the SWR Specwar 762 to restock at the Silencershop. Originally I was going to go ahead and get my pistol can in the works while I'm waiting but I'm afraid I won't be able to afford the Specwar when I need to if it restocks during this pay period. I am damned glad I decided to wait because this thread just changed my mind from the Osprey to the Octane. The specwar is not user serviceable but I don't believe a center fire rifle can needs to be. I got my sparrow started two weeks ago and I just received word yesterday that my electronic form has been received by the ATF. I am itching for that specwar and it can't come back in stock soon enough.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
You can always have the osprey jail broken so you can clean it....just saying.

The specs are so close that I have decided that I will go with the Octane 45 personally. The only reason I would choose the Osprey over the Octane is that its shorter and lighter. But the fact that the Osprey cannot be serviced kills it for me. The reason I would go for the the octane over the Ti-Rant is simply because Silincercos customer service is outstanding and AAC's is :p

1 - 20 of 86 Posts