412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Messages warned of Tokyo attack
Tighter controls on knives sought
Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:57 AM
By Jay Alabaster

ASSOCIATED PRESS

KATSUMI KASAHARAASSOCIATED PRESS
A woman offers a prayer for the victims of the Sunday stabbing rampage at Tokyo's Akihabara district; seven were killed.
TOKYO -- As mourners, some weeping, piled comics, flowers and other mementos at the scene of a deadly stabbing rampage, the government yesterday sought to impose tighter controls over large knives and provide better security in public places.

News that the attacker had posted Internet messages saying he intended to kill people in the Akihabara district, the heart of Tokyo's comic book and youth culture, added to the shock created by the news that seven people were dead and 10 wounded.

"It's unbelievable that things like this are happening in our country," said 19-year-old Tsutsumo Hirano, who attended high school with one of the victims.

Tomohiro Kato, 25, a temporary worker at a factory, was arrested Sunday after the lunchtime attack in the crowded shopping district.

Police say Kato rammed a rented two-ton truck into a crowd of shoppers, then jumped out and began stabbing people who had been knocked down before lashing out at others in the crowd.

Yesterday, Internet sites and the media carried messages posted on an electronic bulletin board before the attack.

National broadcaster NHK said Kato posted messages under a thread titled, "I will kill people in Akihabara," and wrote: "I want to crash the vehicle and, if it becomes useless, I will then use a knife. Goodbye, everyone."

Government officials quickly responded to the attack. In an emergency meeting, the ruling coalition considered limiting access to knives like the one used in the stabbing, which had a five-inch blade.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/conten...610.ART_ART_06-10-08_A10_2FAESMB.html?sid=101

·
Registered
857 Posts
you can control the public's access to guns but not knives.
Most people can make simple effective knives in their basement, and most chef knives you buy would make nice weapons also.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Who is going to cut sushi correctly without a good knife? I see this as a big problem for Japan.

·
Administrator
11,712 Posts
B52U said:
Who is going to cut sushi correctly without a good knife? I see this as a big problem for Japan.
Its not only Japan, Great Britain is also looking to outlaw some knives due to the increase in knife crimes.

Sticks will be next.

·
Registered
178 Posts
10 minutes with a piece of angle iron and a file and you can have yourself a nice sharp knife or spear that you can easily conceal. When making a mortar a couple years back I easily got the angle iron legs sharp enough to stab into an asphalt roadway for bracing.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Carve a blade from bone, ivory, wood, or whatever, and then you can carry it through metal detectors... I've got to get off of this planet.

It kinda makes me want to approach one of these folks and say "First it was the guns fault... now it's the knives... why don't we just cut to the chase and outlaw all tools." :roll:

·
Registered
350 Posts
how about we outlaw people...

in a country where spitting on the ground is jail time, they sure like to make the place more friendly huh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts