FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have clear step by step tips for removing a muzzled device that has been pinned with a weld over the pin?

·
Registered
740 Posts
i never tried it myself, but my gunsmith puts them on a milling machine and slowly mills it down till he can pull out the pin and remove the muzzle device........obviously the device is junk but you knew that....:)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Be careful with this because it may effect the overall length of the weapon/barrel and can effect its "status". I would certainly recommend separating the components of the gun prior to working on it and store them separately to avoid any confusion. Good luck with project.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be careful with this because it may effect the overall length of the weapon/barrel and can effect its "status". I would certainly recommend separating the components of the gun prior to working on it and store them separately to avoid any confusion. Good luck with project.

Length will not be an issue the barrels are already at 16" without the muzzle device.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i never tried it myself, but my gunsmith puts them on a milling machine and slowly mills it down till he can pull out the pin and remove the muzzle device........obviously the device is junk but you knew that....:)
I thought about carefully using a dremel to grind down the weld spot until the pin is visible. Then go from there with a few different methods that I have heard. I did see one guy use a dremel cut off wheel and basically cut the muzzle device on both sides. Then he gave it a little pry and both halves popped off. I would like to try to avoid this method. I don't like the idea of controlling the depth of a cut off wheel by hand. Hoping the whole time that I don't slice the barrel threads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I thought about carefully using a dremel to grind down the weld spot until the pin is visible. Then go from there with a few different methods that I have heard. I did see one guy use a dremel cut off wheel and basically cut the muzzle device on both sides. Then he gave it a little pry and both halves popped off. I would like to try to avoid this method. I don't like the idea of controlling the depth of a cut off wheel by hand. Hoping the whole time that I don't slice the barrel threads.
I have seen this method used with success.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Length will not be an issue the barrels are already at 16" without the muzzle device.
I was not sure if you were talking about a PS90 or not. I do believe that once the pinned flash hider is removed, the barrel would be "different" length that could have the potential to create an issue. I could stand to be corrected on this but was just trying to keep a lookout for a fellow FN brother in arms.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Usually the pin gets welded. It isn't just covered over with a weld.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Welded to the barrel or just the muzzle device?
Usually it's just welded over the top of a hardened pin ... a good end mill can cut through the weld until the pin is freed and then you just remove what's left of the pin and remove the muzzle device. Post up a picture so we can check out the pin job.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Will do. One is an AR and it's obvious where the pin is. The other two are on my 17s and 16s and the guy did an amazing job. I know where the pins are but from a photo you would be hard pressed to see the spots. As a matter of fact there is no evidence on the 16 but on the 17 you can just barely see the area. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a mill.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts