FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far most people I have spoken to say the five seven is one the best handgun they have owned or shot. I 2 love the gun. But so many people on other forum complain that its so expensive to shoot and that its a highend 22 S*** like that makes me mad.... Every time some one bashes the 5.7 I do my best to inform and show them sites like this...
Just venting my 2 cents....... :-D

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I know what you meant... There is even another thread about this recently too (somewhere on this site - I looked but couldn't find it just now).

I no longer participate in threads related to the 5.7 round (on other forums) - Other than to mention this site and suggest that they check it out if they want more info. The SAME guys, time ater time, thread after thread, always jump in and say negative stuff anytime someone asks about the Five Seven or the 5.7x28mm round.

Those threads always devolve into name calling too - eventually. I've seen it happen dozens of times on The Fireing Line and at Glocktalk.

·
Administrator
12,119 Posts
Don't waste your breath on them. If that is what they want to beleive - then let them.

Of the ones that truly wish to know the capabilities, I am more than happy to spend time with them and discuss the firearm(s) capabilities. The others, I have little tolerance for and I allow them to steep in their ignorance.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sorry to run against the grain here, but can anyone link me to some AAR where the 5.7mm, especially in civillian dress, has performed well?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have owned a LOT of pistols since getting my permit last year around valentines day. The five seven is DEFINITELY right at home with the rest of my pistols now(Glock 19c, Russian Makarov, Colt 1991 .45) to name a few. If the ammo we're even cheaper, I'd plink it a LOT more than 50 rounds per session.

I agree, just let people say what they're going to say. Let it go in one ear and out the other.

Enjoy that fine firearm. :? :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
some people are just stuck on "bigger is better" or whatever, where i like to think "accuracy is final." there are pros and cons with every firearm ever made but in the end its the round(s) that hit the target that make the difference.

oh i saw on another forum earlier today about a LEO who shot a BG 15 times COM with a glock .40 using winchester sxt's and the guy took like four minutes to go down. i guess if you're carrying anything in .40 cal and smaller and you're just pissing in the wind :lol:

·
Registered
56 Posts
From a purely practical and ballistic standpoint, realizing that I have no particular leaning one way or the other emotionally about the round, and based upon the gelatin testing I have seen and the opinion of Dr. Gary Roberts (who does most of the ballistic testing for major LE depts) my opinion has developed into the following:

1-the round was developed to have a low recoil impulse, high rate of fire and penetrative abilities against nato body armor.
2-in civilian form the round does not normally penetrate to the minimum required depth of 12-14" in ballistic gel.
3-those rounds that do penetrate to the require minimum depth (usually the fmj's) do not create wound channels that are larger or any more damaging, than a typical 9mm ball round. Typically they are less damaging.
4-the size of the round allows for increased capacity and thus more chances to miss. PERSONALLY, i fall in the "more chances is better than bigger holes" category
5- with the increased velocity we could see some temporary stretch cavity and fragmentation which is good, BUT it happens too soon (not deep enough) and the damage to vital organs is minimal)
6-If we subtract the main advantages that the round has (mainly armor penetration and full auto rate of fire AND THE MULTIPLE RAPID HITS AFFORDED BY THAT) we are left with an inadequate round limited in penetration, rate of fire and terminal effect.

my overall opinion based on these facts would then be that the 5.7 is inadequate for self defense in a civilian capacity. Until we can have a full auto p90 or they let us have the armor penetrators this cartridge is moot.

that said, there is still a cool factor about it, so that might be a good reason to buy one :cool:

·
Administrator
12,119 Posts
I don't believe that the cartridge is 'moot'.

I use a 45g Barnes Solid that will deliver 437 ftlbs of energy at over 2090 fps. *

The SS190 Duty Round is a 34g "AP" projectile that will deliver 397 ftlbs of energy at over 2350 fps. **

* Tested in PS90 SBR 10.3 in barrel
** Per Wiki - tested in 10.35" barrel

This platform was not designed for the average Joe Sportsman.

What average Joe gets is the FiveseveN and an extended barreled P90 in a semi-automatic only PS90 version (thank you FOPA :-x ) of an exceedingly versatile platform. Unfortunately it's married to an undercharged cartridge as demanded by the BCTPGV and knowingly supported by FNH to avoid the 'stigmatism' of being called the manufacture of a 'cop killer' handgun and ammunition.

It's a damn good platform. It's a dumbed down cartridge for civilians.

And you are right, its damn fun to shoot. I was testing some subsonics in my SBR a couple of days ago. Had the SBR married to my AAC 9MM Evolution can. Worked perfect. Sweet sound of nothing. 8)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am glad its full potential is not widely known! It comforts me that I know what it can do , its like its kinda of the radar! It's a double sword though if more new its potential then perhaps the availability of rds would be better!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts